MasterEggCream's Impressions of S & A

Gedneil Alpeart

Wow, pretty ballsy for a first time post. Lots of issues here...

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 12:22 PM)
However, he's too focused on man to learn about the heavenly father imo.
I think Neil's opinions on religion were stated pretty succinctly back in 1980 on Freewill. His opinions are restated very well in these Faithless lyrics.

He is starting to rail on like a liberal with a bone to pick about anything, almost bandwagon like. But Rush is really taking a step towards hitting the ball into the left field big time with S&A.
Umm... I dunno, you sound more like a "raging right winger" than a centrist when you attack Neil with the "liberal" label. Did you find this Rush forum when you were looking for fans of the OTHER Rush ? smile.gif

and then in Double Agent his belief is found in angels as they are fighting with his demons at war.
I don't think Neil was stating a literal belief in angels and demons in these lyrics. sarcasm.gif I think he was referring to a person's "good" and "dark" sides.

One thing about the review that left me a bit empty as well was no mention at all of keyboards or the mellotron that is rumored to be used on the record or the taurus pedals.
Perhaps this reviewer simply forgot to mention this? I don't think the other reviewers would have made this up. For me, I am excited to hear about all the acoustic guitar.

I sincerely hope for a better view of the record when I purchase it on May 1st but right now my gut as a Christian and 80s Rush fan is get ready for isolation.
You might want to pass on Snakes & Arrows and find another band that conforms more to your belief system.

Also, you might want to post your political/religous comments in a separate thread, rather than highjack this one. I'm more interested in hearing more tidbits from MasterEggCream, especially where he ranks S&A. (Better than TFE? Better than Counterparts?)

Edited by PariahDog

Hi Everyone,

First post here. Rush is my favorite, first saw them in 84 and every tour since. I don't take everything Neil says seriously, but I must say, also listening to them for over 26 years, I was a bit bummed when I read the

"assumed" lyrics for faithless. I still love Rush and can't wait for the album. Lets face it, it hasn't even come out yet, but that guys post on the lyrics was a bit of a bummer

• Like 1

Ever since the late 70's and early 80's, "lyrics" were of a major attack by of all people, the ones that never listened to them in the first place. Groups were after Ozzy and his backward messages, but since then, people have written about bogus crap and it sells. I think Neil may like to stir up controversy, but since some of the lyrics come from "other" artists / writers, to me he is a story teller and perhaps is writting this from another angle. Usually you write music that you lived, or heresy (no pun). Lyrics are spoken words trying to reflect on a subject at hand. I remembered "Ghost Of A Chance" also and the lines about "I don't believe in miracles...." well it is an opinion stated by his lifestyle. With the religious factor playing a HUGE part on this album, perhaps he is speaking or telling a story from another writer, we just wont know.

Reading too deep into something can sometimes ruin ALL visions of something. I don't see too many entertaining bands writting good music out there anyways. Yes lyrics are important because they tell stories and that is exactly what this may be, non fictional stories about a certain condition. On Hero, do you believe that Neil was playing the story teller and meeting someone with AIDS that just died and the girl that was murdered, and he had the same reaction to both?

I'm a new poster here- I don't want to Hijack the thread, but I would like to respond a little here. First off, I am an evangelical Christian, there is much in Peart's lyrics with which I disagree, and I am still a huge fan. I believe that Peart's lyrics are engaging, even when I believe his philosophies are misguided or wrong. It is his message to speak, and I believe he does it with creativity and honesty. I don't have to agree to be a huge fan, and I am.

this time he seems to really be going after it personally.
Nothing I've read so far comes close to the messages he wrote on Presto and RTB. Many so far have cited "Freewill" as his tanking a stand on religious issues, and it sort of was, but not nearly as clearly as in the Presto/RTB albums. Freewill is more about taking responsibility, and it is absolutely true that people of faith abuse their own beliefs so as to avoid taking responsibility. Acknowledging this and taking a personal stand that he will own his actions is a powerful statement with which I agree, even if we are coming from different places.

OTOH, "Show Don't Tell" attacks faith head on, as does "Roll The Bones", with first his assertions that there isn't a lot to back up the claims of people of faith, and then an indictment against the idea that there is a God controlling the world when evil exists. This latter point is one of the most powerful arguments against faith there is, and I believe he is asking honest questions. Finally, "Ghost of a Chance" is a hugely powerful, moving piece about how he works this out emotionally and it relates to some of the more practical matters of life. Both of these albums contain other songs about Peart's views on organized faith, and it's pretty clear he has either been burned or doesn't have much respect for it.

When he later speaks of "Angels and Demons at War", it's in the midst of a piece that paints a picture of an emotional state. This is imagery, and good imagery, not a statement of belief.

While it is sad to me that such a powerful musician an artist has such a diametrically opposed view of faith from me, it's a view I acknowledge, and I can appreciate that he chose these important topics to write about rather than how many women he slept with last night, or how many drugs he's doing (Bangkok notwitstanding smile.gif ).

What we are reading now is nothing new. In fact, it seems to me (though I could be wrong) that Peart has been addressing issues of faith with more of a searching, skeptical attitude lately, as opposed to the critical, almost hostile, tone he's taken in the past.

With Rush you are always going to get fantastic musicianship and honest, thought provoking lyrics. It sounds like this album will be no different and I am totally stoked for it. Sorry again to perpetuate the hijack- I am very grateful for this thread and the review of the album. May 1 can't come fast enough!

I think to many people worry abou twhether or not they would like to sit down and have Neil over for a Beer....whether or not he would agree with all their viewpoints in life....I believe that all artists have the right to express themselves musically, visually, lyrically and artistically....Neils statements about faith seem to be his view....I say enjoy the art...enjoy the music...have your own views but if Neil does not want to come over for a beer....deal with it. beathorse.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 13 2007, 10:41 AM)
great lyrics. No change by Peart. He's been saying this stuff from the beginning. Try reading the lyrics to Freewill or Roll the Bones.

The suggestion that Peart is a "liberal" is laughable. He's a free thinking libertarian.

goodpost.gif

This post (other than the start - thanks it was appreciated) has gone completely whack. I am, and always will be a hardcore Rush fan. Of course I look for meaning in the lyrics but I do not judge Neil by the words he writes. My bet would be if 100 people were to give their opinion on a song we would get 100 different opinions. Rush has touched me more with thier music. No other band can speak musically like they can. What almost everyone here is missing (and I did say almost so keep the comments to yourself) is that THE ALBUM HAS NOT EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET. Felt that I needed to yell as how can anyone judge something you have not seen or heard?

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 11:02 AM)
With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

I think we get the point Neil. From Freewill to The Big Wheel..I got the point. You do not believe in a ready made faith. 10-4. beathorse.gif

Why do you find an agnostic rock band more objectionable than a Christian rock band?

This album isn't a change of stripes for Rush any more than Slaughterhouse-Five was a change of stripes for the late Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. This is the band finally confronting this spiritual angst head-on. Good on them.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:21 PM)
With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

I think we get the point Neil. From Freewill to The Big Wheel..I got the point. You do not believe in a ready made faith. 10-4. beathorse.gif

Why do you find an agnostic rock band more objectionable than a Christian rock band?

This album isn't a change of stripes for Rush any more than Slaughterhouse-Five was a change of stripes for the late Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. This is the band finally confronting this spiritual angst head-on. Good on them.

On their own the lyrics are just average poetry...

As Neil says he spends about 1% of his overall time in Rush on the lyrics and they're about 1% important. Yeah they're required, but they're just a means to an end - ie sometihng for Geddy to sing...

This is about the music baby...

1022.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 12:29 PM)

As Neil says he spends about 1% of his overall time in Rush on the lyrics and they're about 1% important. Yeah they're required, but they're just a means to an end - ie sometihng for Geddy to sing...

1022.gif

I would disagree, but you already know that.

Certain Rush songs have gotten me through difficult parts of my life. And it was the lyrics that did that, not the music. Certain Rush songs have affected the way I look at the world. The lyrics did that, not the music. And I don't think I'm the only one.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:35 PM)

1022.gif

Certain Rush songs have gotten me through difficult parts of my life. And it was the lyrics that did that, not the music. Certain Rush songs have affected the way I look at the world. The lyrics did that, not the music. And I don't think I'm the only one.

Well you should just read the lyrics to yourself mate and forget the music...

wink.gif

Enjoy...

smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 02:29 PM)

1022.gif

I would say the lyrics are slightly more important than you think.....they aren't just something thrown together for Geddy to sing........man there are some comments on theis board......unreal.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 13 2007, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 02:29 PM)

1022.gif

I would say the lyrics are slightly more important than you think.....they aren't just something thrown together for Geddy to sing........man there are some comments on theis board......unreal.

Don't worry I'm just winding Lyric Lover Boy Kudzu up...

wink.gif

However at the end of the day we are talking about music not poetry...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 12:36 PM)

1022.gif

wink.gif

Enjoy...

smile.gif

I love the music, too. But apparently, you don't have enough room in your head to hold the idea of simultaneously appreciating music and lyrics in a song. So I'll leave you to it. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:44 PM)

1022.gif

wink.gif

Enjoy...

smile.gif

I love the music, too. But apparently, you don't have enough room in your head to hold the idea of simultaneously appreciating music and lyrics in a song. So I'll leave you to it. bekloppt.gif

Gotcha once again Kudzu mate...one of these days you'll learn...you're a slow pupil though...but actually sometimes they turn out to be the best students of all...

tongue.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2007, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 13 2007, 02:44 PM)

1022.gif

wink.gif

Enjoy...

smile.gif

Gotcha once again Kudzu mate...one of these days you'll learn...you're a slow pupil though...but actually sometimes they turn out to be the best students of all...

tongue.gif wink.gif

No worries...just calling you on being a bit of a DB. I know you must have better taste than you let on if you're toodling around these parts.

I have been praying fore the return of the keys and I was so happy when Geddy mentioned somewhere that they would be there for "window dressings". It's no trace of keys on Far Cry or Malnar so I am suspecting that these windows will be very small and far between. But, any new Rush album is a welcome one and if the standard of the songs keeps up with Far Cry then there should be no doubt. smile.gif Thanks for the insights. I went to my local recordshop today and I had them ensure me that they would receive S&A on Monday the 30Th! trink36.gif

If any of you consider this a review---go jump out the window. All I get from this post, besides having my time WASTED, was that some guy listened to the album.

And honestly, it doesn't even appear that this guy is much of a Rush fan--yes, he mentioned Cygnus--, he just rambles on about describing the music

Reading the post (seriously, read it again and you'll agree), he just describes Test for Echo.

QUOTE (lerkst @ Apr 13 2007, 02:59 PM)
If any of you consider this a review---go jump out the window. All I get from this post, besides having my time WASTED, was that some guy listened to the album.

And honestly, it doesn't even appear that this guy is much of a Rush fan--yes, he mentioned Cygnus--, he just rambles on about describing the music

Reading the post (seriously, read it again and you'll agree), he just describes Test for Echo.

It's more of a summary than a review.....don't think we should slam the guy, he is sharing some info with us. Besides....pretty hard to give a solid review after 1 listen......