MasterEggCream's Impressions of S & A

Gedneil Alpeart

Hey man,

Hope you don't mind me putting this as a new topic. I think everyone on here should see what you wrote in case they missed it in the other thread. I really liked your impressions and especially how you quoted some lyrics. Good job! I shouldn't expect more details after only two listens.

Quoting Master Egg Cream:

"WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW! READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I mean no ill will, but the album will definitely leak at some point.

Up until the last couple of weeks or so the media had yet to receive their review copies, but now those CDs have been distributed.

Reason I know this is that a friend of mine works for a national music magazine and the main reviews guy there got his copy this week.

So the leak is inevitable now, seeing how a leaked version has not come from another channel -- such as the plant where the discs are produced, or the ole "friend of a friend of a friend who worked at the recording / mixing / coloring book studio where Rush recorded / mixed / colored pictures."

More important, though, is that my friend was able to borrow it for a few hours. Since it is a copy-protected disc and could not be played in a computer, we both hopped in his car and listened to it. Thankfully, it worked!

Now, let me just add something: Yes, I am a first-time poster. Yes, you're right to be dubious. But please, turn off your flamethrower, as I am telling the absolute truth.

First, the three instrumentals are "The Main Monkey Business," "Hope" (acoustic guitar ONLY!) and, as it is referred to here, "MalNar."

Speaking of acoustic guitar, the album is ripe with it. No surprise, seeing how Alex mentioned it was written on said instrument.

I'll add more once I can dig out my notes. Yes, I jotted down observations here and there while listening -- hey, I only had a couple of hours to hear it!

MEC"

"WARNING! SPOILERS! READ ON PAST THIS POINT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

WARNING! SPOILERS! READ ON PAST THIS POINT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Thirteen songs that clock in at just under 63 minutes.

As already noted in the few reviews posted online, it is indeed a heavy, prog-riffic affair. The melodies and sections of songs are not straight and narrow here. Twists and turns, highs and lows.

"Far Cry" -- You already know. I completely agree with one review's comment that it is the most accessible cut on the album.

"Armor & Sword" -- Killer melody in the chorus! "No one gets to their heaven without a fight." Midtempo.

"Workin' Them Angels" -- Again, another great melody in the chorus. "All this time I've been workin' them angels overtime." Midtempo.

"The Larger Bowl" -- A lyrical ponderance on the age-old topic of the haves and the have-nots. Super-catchy, acoustic, folky picking here in the verses, which lead into midtempo choruses. Very different vibe and sound for a Rush song.

"Spindrift" -- Dark, midtempo tune. Not terribly melodic. "What am I supposted to say / What are the words to answer you / When you talk that way."

"The Main Monkey Business" -- There's a part in here that sounds very, very similar to a section of "Cygnus"; the "through the void, to be destroyed" part. I was expecting something different based on that title, but it is a bad-ass rocking tune! I can't see how they could possibly *not* play this live.

"TWTWB" -- Sorry, couldn't resist the abbrev. As observed, there is some sweet, tasty, black-no-sugar blues in this one! Damn, it sounds good. "We can only go the way the wind blows / We can only bow to the here and now / Or be broken down row by row." Nice. A lovely outro.

"Hope" -- This one totally caught me off guard. An acoustic guitar instrumental? Wha? (A la Prof. Farnsworth, of course...)

It has to be played on steel strings (a reader inquired). My ears are good, but maybe once you hear it you'll make me eat my words... As for arpeggios/classical style, eh, not much. Lots of tasty chord changes and finger-picking, though, and it gave me chills, to be honest -- Alex on acoustic guitar playing a song called "Hope" after that NYE fiasco.

Yeah, I'm probably digging too far into it, but that's what I thought on first listen.

Speaking of acoustic guitar, it is everywhere on the album. No shock, though, seeing how Alex mentioned (somewhere, I forget) that the album was written on said instrument.

"Faithless":

i don't have faith in faith

i don't believe in belief

you can call me faithless

i still cling to hope

and i believe in love

and that's faith enough for me

Nice that this comes after "Hope" in the sequence. A nice mix of fast and slow parts, and a great melody from Geddy in the middle section, then a woozy at first, then piercing solo from Alex.

"Bravest Face" -- Great little acoustic strumming in the verses (coupled with some conversational lyrics) and at the outro. All too brief "clean" (vs. distorted) solo.

"Good News First" -- Some killer uptempo sections here -- really soaring! And an equally soaring (though brief) solo from Alex. Sweet choruses -- I'm a real sucker for uptempo, melodic stuff, and this track is as full of that as, say, "Far Cry."

"MalNar" -- Well, if you heard the leaked version of this, you heard the whole song! Yes, I can't believe how short it is either, but man, does it cook or what? I wish there was more uptempo, full-throttle music like this on the rest of the record.

I change my mind about what I said yesterday, about the more likely new instrumental to be played live -- it's got to be this one. And why not? It's only two minutes and change. Must keep eyes trained on Geddy throughout song at concert. It's his jam through and through.

I would consider it the 21st century, contemporary version of "YYZ." There's just no way anyone couldn't love this one in the same way. And while everyone's going gaga about the possibilities about "TMMB" -- and don't get me wrong, it's really, really good -- this is the best of the three.

"We Hold On" -- "We could be down and gone, but we hold on." Uptempo, with Alex peeling off these distorted, squiggly lines throughout, giving the song a nice sense of urgency.

Additionally...

Yes, there are guitar solos. Of course, that's an arbitrary term, so you and I might differ on our own interpretations; e.g., do I consider "Far Cry" to have a solo? No.

Overall they're on the brief side, and not every song has one.

A couple of songs -- "TWTWB" and "The Larger Bowl" were definitely influenced by their recent covers indulgence, especially the latter song -- I couldn't help but hear "Heart Full of Soul" in it.

Still amazed at Geddy's vocal strength (and his full head of hair!). He sounds fantastic, especially on some of the quieter moments when it's just his voice or him and Alex's acoustic.

And I don't know if it's just me, but the drums sound so freaking great! Perfectly set in the mix and a real nice sharpness and crispness to the snare.

I'm glad Alex was quoted as saying he couldn't quite describe the overall sound of the album -- cos from these notes of mine, I bet you're saying to yourself, "Hey, this guy's having trouble too!"

I tried my best, folks, at sharing some stuff with you. Hope you enjoyed it. While it might not please everyone -- cos how can you really explain the depth of this band's music from just a couple of listens? -- I'm sure at the very least it'll get you even more excited about May 1.

But you know, if you're a Rush fan, you already love it!"

From his impressions:

* lots of acoustic guitar

* diverse range of styles

* very strong and melodic choruses

* brief but powerful Alex solos (real solos)

* TMMB is awesome but not as concentrated as MalNar

* Great singing

* Crisp production

* Sounds to me like powerful lyrics

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Apr 13 2007, 11:16 AM)
great review. im a little concerned that he thinks MalNar is the best of the instrumentals.

I was too, but remember, everyone is going to have a different opinion when this album comes out. I think I will like TMMB more simply because it will be more drawn out, intricate, and elaborate, even though not as concentrated as MalNar. And also, it will be almost 3 times as long. But, we shall see. It definitely won't suck!!!! Maybe not upto expectations for some people and it is our expectations that always do us in.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 13 2007, 11:17 AM)
From his impressions:

* Great singing
* Crisp production

No problem with the new thread.

But man, you're one intense dude! Wouldn't want to be in front of you on line come May 1! (Not that I think anyone's capable of beating you to your local record store.)

Just wanted to clarify that this is just one guy's opinion. You might hear "TMMB" and think I'm full of horse biddy -- and you might be right!

One last note: It was very interesting listening to these lyrics after having read Nei's books, in particular his most recent. It gave me an appreciation, a fuller understanding of the words, having read his thoughts on many of the topics he addresses on the album. A very cool added experience.

MEC

QUOTE (MasterEggCream @ Apr 13 2007, 11:40 AM)
From his impressions:

* Great singing
* Crisp production

But man, you're one intense dude! Wouldn't want to be in front of you on line come May 1! (Not that I think anyone's capable of beating you to your local record store.)

Just wanted to clarify that this is just one guy's opinion. You might hear "TMMB" and think I'm full of horse biddy -- and you might be right!

One last note: It was very interesting listening to these lyrics after having read Nei's books, in particular his most recent. It gave me an appreciation, a fuller understanding of the words, having read his thoughts on many of the topics he addresses on the album. A very cool added experience.

MEC

But the question is... where does this rank in the whole scheme? Would you say best record since Moving Pictures? Or do you still need time to grasp it?

QUOTE (MasterEggCream @ Apr 13 2007, 11:40 AM)
From his impressions:

* Great singing
* Crisp production

MEC

Hey MEC,

Is Snakes and Arrows as good as you thought it would be ? Would you consider it one of your favorites ?

First time post here and a hello to all. I have to say after reading this I have a lot of mixed feelings about where Neil is taking Rush's music with these kinds of lyrics. For a man who has written so much about Fear in the past it certainly sounds like he has a lot of it himself. In the posted lyrics to Faithless he strikes a few nerves with me already and I am sure a decent portion of the fanbase already.

Touching on God, Politics, and the New York Yankees are usually no-no's as anyone knows! And I know that Neil has touched on religion and politics in the past, but this time he seems to really be going after it personally.

He is half right when you read these lyrics :

i still cling to hope

and i believe in love

One can't have faith in faith. Faith has to have an object that is neverchanging. He's smart not to do what a lot of other people are doing without even realizing it.....and that is having faith in faith. However, he's too focused on man to learn about the heavenly father imo.

Im totally starting to lose it for him. He is starting to rail on like a liberal with a bone to pick about anything, almost bandwagon like. His lyrics in the past always had a message or something like a centrist story line to it. I consider myself politically a centrist. I don't like raging right wingers and I don't like loony leftists either. But Rush is really taking a step towards hitting the ball into the left field big time with S&A.

Fear seems to be a big issue with Neil. It seems to have reached a fevered pitch with him. What's sad to me as a fan of 3 decades is that I know Geddy feels the same way since he stated numerous times in the past that he can not sing anything he does not have the same convictions about.

Rush is now becoming preachy with these songs and that is concerning to me as a fan who never felt preached to. On one hand it appears that Neil has no belief in angels and God and what have you. Then the next he goes out of his way to recognize them. If you look at the lyrics to Ghost of A Chance and his comments on love and angels "I don't believe in the stars or the planets or angels watching from above" and then in Double Agent his belief is found in angels as they are fighting with his demons at war.

Ok.

Deep inside I get the feeling he holds such great anger towards a higher power for ripping his wife and child from him. His directive thoughts at a higher power in The Stars Look Down and not walking with angels in Sweet Miracle. Yet, he claims he doesn't have a belief in heaven's unearthly estate in Freewill. It has just become one contradiction through the years and now it just feels like this bitterness is coming through the music all over the place.

One thing about the review that left me a bit empty as well was no mention at all of keyboards or the mellotron that is rumored to be used on the record or the taurus pedals. Where they fit sonically on the record and how they sound.

Rush has always been a band that based its musical path on moving forward. Going forward exploring with new sounds, new technology, keyboards, and orchestras as well as choirs. I have had a good amount of anticipation for this new record for quite some time. But I am now getting the feeling that they have run back to the past and stayed there with the acoustic, drum, bass combo they have been forcing so hard since Counterparts that they are afraid to embrace more outside sounds.

I sincerely hope for a better view of the record when I purchase it on May 1st but right now my gut as a Christian and 80s Rush fan is get ready for isolation. trink36.gif

• Like 1

Faith does not always mean "faith" in *religion*.

"i don't have faith in faith" I think he means he does not have confidence in the verb 'Faith' as a tool or method of observation.

*edit*

I had a longer response but I'll just summarize it: Your opinion is totally retarded. sarcasm.gif

Edited by TacRedline

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 12:22 PM)
First time post here and a hello to all. I have to say after reading this I have a lot of mixed feelings about where Neil is taking Rush's music with these kinds of lyrics. For a man who has written so much about Fear in the past it certainly sounds like he has a lot of it himself. In the posted lyrics to Faithless he strikes a few nerves with me already and I am sure a decent portion of the fanbase already.

Touching on God, Politics, and the New York Yankees are usually no-no's as anyone knows! And I know that Neil has touched on religion and politics in the past, but this time he seems to really be going after it personally.

He is half right when you read these lyrics :

i still cling to hope
and i believe in love

One can't have faith in faith. Faith has to have an object that is neverchanging. He's smart not to do what a lot of other people are doing without even realizing it.....and that is having faith in faith. However, he's too focused on man to learn about the heavenly father imo.

Im totally starting to lose it for him. He is starting to rail on like a liberal with a bone to pick about anything, almost bandwagon like. His lyrics in the past always had a message or something like a centrist story line to it. I consider myself politically a centrist. I don't like raging right wingers and I don't like loony leftists either. But Rush is really taking a step towards hitting the ball into the left field big time with S&A.

Fear seems to be a big issue with Neil. It seems to have reached a fevered pitch with him. What's sad to me as a fan of 3 decades is that I know Geddy feels the same way since he stated numerous times in the past that he can not sing anything he does not have the same convictions about.

Rush is now becoming preachy with these songs and that is concerning to me as a fan who never felt preached to. On one hand it appears that Neil has no belief in angels and God and what have you. Then the next he goes out of his way to recognize them. If you look at the lyrics to Ghost of A Chance and his comments on love and angels "I don't believe in the stars or the planets or angels watching from above" and then in Double Agent his belief is found in angels as they are fighting with his demons at war.

Ok.

Deep inside I get the feeling he holds such great anger towards a higher power for ripping his wife and child from him. His directive thoughts at a higher power in The Stars Look Down and not walking with angels in Sweet Miracle. Yet, he claims he doesn't have a belief in heaven's unearthly estate in Freewill. It has just become one contradiction through the years and now it just feels like this bitterness is coming through the music all over the place.

One thing about the review that left me a bit empty as well was no mention at all of keyboards or the mellotron that is rumored to be used on the record or the taurus pedals. Where they fit sonically on the record and how they sound.

Rush has always been a band that based its musical path on moving forward. Going forward exploring with new sounds, new technology, keyboards, and orchestras as well as choirs. I have had a good amount of anticipation for this new record for quite some time. But I am now getting the feeling that they have run back to the past and stayed there with the acoustic, drum, bass combo they have been forcing so hard since Counterparts that they are afraid to embrace more outside sounds.

I sincerely hope for a better view of the record when I purchase it on May 1st but right now my gut as a Christian and 80s Rush fan is get ready for isolation. trink36.gif

Opinion respected, but kind of harsh when you haven't even heard the album yet.......or seen all the lyrics......... confused13.gif

great lyrics. No change by Peart. He's been saying this stuff from the beginning. Try reading the lyrics to Freewill or Roll the Bones.

The suggestion that Peart is a "liberal" is laughable. He's a free thinking libertarian.

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 12:22 PM)

Your post reminded me of Neil's comment in the past to the effect of "People think they know me. They don't know me."

I only know what Neil tells us in his books and his blog postings and interviews and I think at the age of 33 I am able to get an idea of where someone is coming from after reading their words and listening to them for all but maybe 7 years of my life. I became a Rush fan very young due to older brothers and sisters being into them. TacRedline I appreciate you taking the time to insult MY opinion.

With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

I think we get the point Neil. From Freewill to The Big Wheel..I got the point. You do not believe in a ready made faith. 10-4. beathorse.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 01:02 PM)
With all due respect Pedro2112 I would say Peart leaned Libertarian say 15-20 years ago. He said in Roadshow that he is "Left Leaning Libertarian". I don't find a single thing he says these days (especially after moving to very left leaning southern California) that shows him as a Libertarian or a Centrist, nevermind right leaning in any way. He goes out of his way to let everyone know how he has no faith in God, I guess my point is he has become so preachy about it. A subtle reference once in a while was fine, but now he is doing an entire album about it.

I think we get the point Neil. From Freewill to The Big Wheel..I got the point. You do not believe in a ready made faith. 10-4. beathorse.gif

When you say "he is doing an entire album about it".....does that mean you have all the song lyrics from the new album....?

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 01:02 PM)

No worries mate, if you feel that it will upset your views or how you think do not buy the album.

trink39.gif