Really Overrated Directors

Ya_Big_Tree

Mr. Michael I like when things go boom Bay.

now i know he is ragged on but his films rake in money so i call overrated.

and he's responsible for possibly the single worst franchise in film history

Mick

A $972 million budget over 5 films yielded $4.33 billion at the box office.

Just going off RottenTomatoes ratings for some kind of gauge, they've gotten approval ratings of 57%, 19%, 35%, 18%, and 14% respectively.

I've only seen most of parts 1 & 2 (fell asleep in both) and IMHO both of those percentages are extremely generous.

My daughter was watching Armegeddon the other day on Netflicks and so I sat down with her and quickly realized why I've only it once.

It's SOOOO BAD!!!

Bay's use of explosions is so over the top it's hysterical.

The sick thing is that Bay is probably not even half way through his career. So we've easily got an additional 20+ years of exploding garbage and end of days scenarios. Storywise, his movies are no deeper than the ones I concocted as a 6 year old playing with my toy action figures.

Most of the directors mentioned above are actually good...

If you want a truly overrated director then here it is, I give you M. Night Shyamalan...

Signs - Crap

The Village - over the top, unconvincing, mind-freezing and sleep-inducingly boring.

Unbreakable - totally stupid and laughable

The Sixth Sense - THE most overrated film of all time, drawn out, slow, boring and a damp squib of a denouement...

I totally don't get why this guy's films are popular...

wacko.gif

Hey Pat!

I agree! This director is total rubbish. Midnight Lite Salmon.

Hey Pat!

What does the "Titanic" film by James Cameron have in common with M. Night's "The Sixth Sense?"

Drum roll please..................

• Like 1

I'm not going to read seven pages of this thread but my God I hope no one wrote John Carpenter.

I would die.

But I know John's done some shitty films near the twilight of his career.

I can't wait for the new "Halloween" with his blessing!

• Like 1

If you want a truly overrated director then here it is, I give you M. Night Shyamalan...

Signs - Crap

The Village - over the top, unconvincing, mind-freezing and sleep-inducingly boring.

The Sixth Sense - THE most overrated film of all time, drawn out, slow, boring and a damp squib of a denouement...

wacko.gif

Hey Pat!

Hey Pat!

What does the "Titanic" film by James Cameron have in common with M. Night's "The Sixth Sense?"

It's crap!

• Like 2

Signs - Crap

wacko.gif

Hey Pat!

Hey Pat!

It's crap!

M. Shitman

• Like 1

I'm not going to read seven pages of this thread but my God I hope no one wrote John Carpenter.

I would die.

Carpenter has been mentioned half a dozen times.

j/k

I did watch Escape from L.A. just a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was one of the worst sequels of all time. It was the reason why I made that Disappointing Sequels thread.

I curse you Earl for once saying Escape from L.A. is awesome!

I spit in your direction!

I challenge Snake Plissken to a bare knuckles brawl!

Stupid stupid movie and Carpenter should be embarrassed for making it! He's a legend but that movie was an abomination!

Just in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't too fond of Escape from L.A.

:hail:

• Like 1

I would die.

j/k

I did watch Escape from L.A. just a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was one of the worst sequels of all time. It was the reason why I made that Disappointing Sequels thread.

Stupid stupid movie and Carpenter should be embarrassed for making it! He's a legend but that movie was an abomination!

Hahaha!!! I saw Escape From LA in the theater. I have it on blu-ray. it sucks. The best thing about that movie is when Snake makes that basket.

Is Curry from his DNA? LOL!

It's horrible JB.

I love "Village Of The Damned" and "In The Mouth Of Madness." Even "The Ward" is underrated. I hate "Ghost Of Mars." Even ICE CUBE said it was the worst movie he was ever in.

Signed,

BOYZ IN THE HOOD

I would die.

j/k

Hahaha!!! I saw Escape From LA in the theater. I have it on blu-ray. it sucks. The best thing about that movie is when Snake makes that basket.

Is Curry from his DNA? LOL!

It's horrible JB.

I love "Village Of The Damned" and "In The Mouth Of Madness." Even "The Ward" is underrated. I hate "Ghost Of Mars." Even ICE CUBE said it was the worst movie he was ever in.

Signed,

BOYZ IN THE HOOD

Why would you say it was awesome when you thought it sucked?

I haven't seen those other flicks you mentioned there.

After watching L.A., Carpenter now has a 7-3 record with me.

It's hard for me to pinpoint why I don't like Speilberg and Cameron as directors but I always thought that they make serious films that I can't take seriously.

Trite and schmaltzy!

• Like 1

It's hard for me to pinpoint why I don't like Speilberg and Cameron as directors but I always thought that they make serious films that I can't take seriously.

Trite and schmaltzy!

Cameron, sure. Speilberg, go back an re-watch. There's a lot of depth to explore.

Trite and schmaltzy!

He didn't really get schmaltzy until titanic. He's like Cecil B DeMille now with the film release year rate of Malick and Kubrick.

Trite and schmaltzy!

He didn't really get schmaltzy until titanic. He's like Cecil B DeMille now with the film release year rate of Malick and Kubrick.

Cameron's only directed three movies after Titanic. Two were documentaries (one about the Titanic & the other on undersea life) and the third was the garbage better known as Avatar.

The last non-documentary film I liked of his was T2 way back in '91.

His overall record with me: 5-3

Robert Zemeckis

pablum

I suppose that if someone generally dislikes Hollywood films, they'd likely dislike Zemeckis films.

Romancing The Stone, Back to the Future, Cast Away, and Flight are movies of his that I really enjoyed. The first three have been given a lot of rewatches from me over the years. Didn't you like any of those? Not even Back to the Future?

As for some of his other flicks that I've seen...

- Forrest Gump and Contact are good enough for me to at least call them "okay"...though the latter was a bit slow.

- I couldn't finish Back to the Future part 2 so I didn't even try part 3.

- All of his other stuff I skipped entirely because they seemed like stuff I wouldn't be interested in.

For me there's really only one over rated director(at least that I can think of off the top of my head)and that is Quentin Tarantino. I know that might be controversial to say since he has a lot of fans but that's my opinion. It seems to me that he is making movies from the perspective of a teenage boy. He just never seems to have grown up in the movies he makes. He's preoccupied with sex and violence and making some kind of "cool" statement and also seems to be trying too hard to be hip.

Come to think of it I also think Woody Allen is a bit over rated or at least was. I think he has improved a lot in the past ten to fifteen years as his films seem to be less contrived and pretentious and seem more natural imo.

Edited by New_World_Man

For me there's really only one over rated director(at least that I can think of off the top of my head)and that is Quentin Tarantino. I know that might be controversial to say since he has a lot of fans but that's my opinion. It seems to me that he is making movies from the perspective of a teenage boy. He just never seems to have grown up in the movies he makes. He's preoccupied with sex and violence and making some kind of "cool" statement and also seems to be trying too hard to be hip.

Come to think of it I also think Woody Allen is a bit over rated or at least was. I think he has improved a lot in the past ten to fifteen years as his films seem to be less contrived and pretentious and seem more natural imo.

I'll have to disagree about Tarantino being preoccupied with sex and violence. Are there any sex scenes in any of his movies? Any nudity? Cant remember any offhand. Violence? Sure but are his movies anymore preoccupied with violence than Gibson or Scorsese?

Well, this thread is about directors you feel are over rated and imo Tarentino fits the bill for me personally. His movies seem to rely on violence(admittedly more than sex and I admit I may have mispoken about the sex part although there is one gratutous scene in Jackie Brown that comes to mind). In my opinion, he just goes about things in a juvenile way. I get the feeling he is thinking something like "oh boy look what I can get away with in this. I'm so cool." However, everyone has their opinions and I wouldn't expect many people to see where I am coming from with this or agree with me and that's perfectly fine.

Well, this thread is about directors you feel are over rated and imo Tarentino fits the bill for me personally. His movies seem to rely on violence(admittedly more than sex and I admit I may have mispoken about the sex part although there is one gratutous scene in Jackie Brown that comes to mind). In my opinion, he just goes about things in a juvenile way. I get the feeling he is thinking something like "oh boy look what I can get away with in this. I'm so cool." However, everyone has their opinions and I wouldn't expect many people to see where I am coming from with this or agree with me and that's perfectly fine.

I thought the Kill Bills were overrated. In fact, I dislike all of his 21st century movies. I'm not sure how much they're overrated though since I don't hear too much praise for The Hateful Eight or Django. Inglourious Basterds seemed to get a lot of praise though and I disliked almost all of that.

Basically, any praise he gets from me is only directed towards Reservoir Dogs, Pulp, and Jackie Brown. Those 3 are as good as his 21st century films are bad. So for me, that's 20 years since he's made something enjoyable + that's less than half of his movies that I enjoyed.

• Like 1

Pulp Fiction was great but I think part of the appeal was that it was very different from most movies at the time(and I suppose still is). I even had a Pulp Fiction poster in my college dorm room.
  • Like 1

Pulp Fiction was great but I think part of the appeal was that it was very different from most movies at the time(and I suppose still is). I even had a Pulp Fiction poster in my college dorm room.

I had a Reservoir Dogs poster in the bedroom of my college flat. :)

Loved both movies. Still do.

Robert Zemeckis

pablum

I suppose that if someone generally dislikes Hollywood films, they'd likely dislike Zemeckis films.

Romancing The Stone, Back to the Future, Cast Away, and Flight are movies of his that I really enjoyed. The first three have been given a lot of rewatches from me over the years. Didn't you like any of those? Not even Back to the Future?

- Forrest Gump and Contact are good enough for me to at least call them "okay"...though the latter was a bit slow.

- All of his other stuff I skipped entirely because they seemed like stuff I wouldn't be interested in.

I can see the appeal of Back To The Future, but that one - or any of his films - don't have the style or x factor as someone like, for example, John Hughes ..

Cast Away was watchable enough, but I don't think it was anything a dozen other directors couldn't have done better

Zemeckis made successful and watchable movies, and I give him that .. But I don't see him as a special filmmaker ..

Back To The Future feels no different than a movie length episode of Boy Meets World

Edited by Lucas

Robert Zemeckis

pablum

I can see the appeal of Back To The Future, but that one - or any of his films - don't have the style or x factor as someone like, for example, John Hughes ..

Cast Away was watchable enough, but I don't think it was anything a dozen other directors couldn't have done better

Zemeckis made successful and watchable movies, and I give him that .. But I don't see him as a special filmmaker ..

Back To The Future feels no different than a movie length episode of Boy Meets World

:LOL:

That last sentence.

And yeah, I did like someone like John Hughes more.

As for the dozen directors who could've done Cast Away better, I can't think of a dozen. And if a dozen tried, you'd no longer have Cast Away. You might have something better but you could easily have something worse

• Like 1