Really Overrated Directors

Ya_Big_Tree

Alright, we know them and probably love their movies the first few times we see them but after a while you start to realize that a monkey in a tutu could have made a better film.

Let's hear about them and their most overrated works.

I would say that Oliver Stone is very overrated! I mean he makes good films but he is not the directing GOD that a lot of people see him as.

Some others hmmm... Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Tim Burton, Steven Bloody Spielberg, James Cameron etc...

Just to get the ball rolling... ph34r.gif

Scorcese?! Put down the crack pipe.

David Lynch is over-rated. I mean, what's he done lately?

I'm inclined to agree about Tim Burton, in that I like only a handful of his films, but when he makes a good one it's really good.

Others:

Woody Allen. 062802puke_prv.gif

George Lucas (OK, two of his movies were good and one was OK, but the rest stank.)

David Fincher. His movies just make you want to kill yourself. I do have a soft spot for 'Fight Club' but that's only because of the cool twist.

Michael Bay.

Brain De Palma.

Stephen Sommers.

Kevin Smith.

Paul Verhoeven, though his commentary track on the 'Starship Troopers' DVD (it was a gift, I didn't buy it!) does make me laugh. "Vahr is bat bat bat!"

Cameron Crowe, king of the boring-assed chick flick.

Though I loved his first three movies, M. Night Shamalamadingdong is moving into over-rated territory. His next movie will decide it.

Joel Schumacher.

Most of the directors mentioned above are actually good...

If you want a truly overrated director then here it is, I give you M. Night Shyamalan...

Signs - Crap

The Village - over the top, unconvincing, mind-freezing and sleep-inducingly boring.

Unbreakable - totally stupid and laughable

The Sixth Sense - THE most overrated film of all time, drawn out, slow, boring and a damp squib of a denouement...

I totally don't get why this guy's films are popular...

wacko.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2007, 04:32 PM)
If you want a truly overrated director then here it is, I give you M. Night Shyamalan...

goodpost.gif

As for my answer...

IF THERE'S ONE THING I HATE IT'S A DAVID LYNCH MOVIE, IT MAKES ME f***ing PUKE! 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 3 2007, 02:05 PM)

I'm inclined to agree about Tim Burton, in that I like only a handful of his films, but when he makes a good one it's really good.

Others:
Woody Allen.  062802puke_prv.gif
George Lucas (OK, two of his movies were good and one was OK, but the rest stank.)
David Fincher. His movies just make you want to kill yourself. I do have a soft spot for 'Fight Club' but that's only because of the cool twist.
Michael Bay.
Brain De Palma.
Stephen Sommers.
Kevin Smith.
Paul Verhoeven, though his commentary track on the 'Starship Troopers' DVD (it was a gift, I didn't buy it!) does make me laugh. "Vahr is bat bat bat!"
Though I loved his first three movies, M. Night Shamalamadingdong is moving into over-rated territory. His next movie will decide it.
Joel Schumacher.

unsure.gif

I'd strongly disagree with David Fincher being on that list. Personally, I think his movies are some of the best. Aside from Fight Club, Fincher also did "Seven", which I happen to think is a fantastic movie.

I agree with Treeduck, I think M. Night Shyamalan is the most overated:

I think his movies are terribly cliche and predictable new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2007, 05:32 PM)
Most of the directors mentioned above are actually good...

Signs - Crap

The Village - over the top, unconvincing, mind-freezing and sleep-inducingly boring.

The Sixth Sense - THE most overrated film of all time, drawn out, slow, boring and a damp squib of a denouement...

wacko.gif

You forgot 'Lady In The Water', a sugary pile of overly-sentimental pap.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 3 2007, 04:05 PM)

Others:
Woody Allen. 062802puke_prv.gif
Michael Bay.
Brain De Palma.
Stephen Sommers.
Kevin Smith.
Joel Schumacher.

Personally I dont think that Scorcese is overrated... I mentioned him in the mix because a lot of people I know (film geeks) have been known to say that. I think he is great and a lil bit under-rated IMO.

And Finbar, no.gif

So David Lynch movies make you wanna fuckuing puke? Just like what warm beer does to Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet! smile.gif The reason why I said David Lynch is not an overrated filmaker, is because although you may think his films are pretentuious, he is doing something different with filming. His close up shots and magnification of sound and the ability to make his paintings turn into movies is innovative and accomplished. Not a lot of people like his stuff, but a handful do.

George Lucas, OMG

yes.gif I love Star Wars but hue is not f***ing GOD!

Scorsese - NOT overrated. To suggest otherwise is laughable. Goodfellas, The Departed, Gangs Of New York, Mean Streets are awesome.

David Fincher - NOT overrated. Seven, Fight Club, Panic Room, and (from what I hear) Zodiac are awesome. Excellent visual storyteller.

M. Night - Overrated. I liked Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but he dropped way off after that. Signs wasn't terrible, but from that film on he just kept getting worse. Way too self-indulgent.

Brian DePalma - WAY Overrated. I like Scarface (for the over-the-top camp factor) and The Untouchables, and Casualties Of War was pretty good, but the rest of his body of work was woefully underacheiving.

Joel Shumacher - Overrated. Other than Falling Down and A Time To Kill, his movies are almost unwatchable. He has no idea how to direct actors.

Tim Burton - Overrated. All quirky style, no substance. His main contribution was helping to launch Danny Elfman's career as a film composer.

David Lynch - NOT Overrated. You can't categorize his work like that. It's too f**king weird. You either like what he does or you don't. Blue Velvet will always be a favorite of mine.

George Lucas - Overrated. Excellent producer, a visual effects pioneer, but a terrible director. Unfortunately, nobody will tell him that.

Terrance Malik - ...dunno. He hasn't been very prolific, and I haven't seen enough of his work to say either way. That being said, The Thin Red Line was the most boring war movie I've even seen.

Spielberg - NOT Overrated. He can get a little scmaltzy, but he was born to direct films.

Michael Bay - NOT overrated. EVERYBODY thinks he sucks!

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 3 2007, 03:48 PM)
Alright, we know them and probably love their movies the first few times we see them but after a while you start to realize that a monkey in a tutu could have made a better film.

Let's hear about them and their most overrated works.

I would say that Oliver Stone is very overrated! I mean he makes good films but he is not the directing GOD that a lot of people see him as.

Some others hmmm... Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Tim Burton, Steven Bloody Spielberg, James Cameron etc...

Just to get the ball rolling... ph34r.gif

Scorcese? you have to be kidding me....aha.

I know i'll be hated for this but "Quentin Tarantino"

Yeah the Kill Bill movies were unique but he doesn't direct enough to consider him great - He made two great movies in 94' and 92' Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but for being a director for over 15 years his resume is pretty slim -

James Cameron is a great technical director. The guy is an expert at creating and filming action scenes. His sense of continuity is extremely good. His shot selections and camera movements are expertly done and are exciting to watch. His sense of screen direction is excellent -- even during complex action sequences you never lose your bearings. Everything makes total sense.

His weakness lies in his screenwriting. His story ideas are good, but his dialogue is often clunky and ridden with cliches, and it's tough for his actors to get totally wrapped around it and make it all seem natural. Titanic had very good actors reciting bad dialogue, and that made the acting look stiff. Is that the actors fault? Or the screenwriter/director's fault? There's no way to make corny lines like "I'm the KING OF THE WORLD! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!" look credible.

And because all the films he directs are also written by him, that affects the quality of his work as a director, IMO. When directing, you're only as good as your material. Every film he's directed since 1981's Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (062802puke_prv.gif) has also been written by him. I'd love to see what he could do with someone else's script.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 3 2007, 07:01 PM)
Spike Lee

goodpost.gif

Thank you. It's about time someone did the right thing and pointed out that his work is crap. Yet he is hailed as expressive and innovative. His only innovation is image marketing. And there is nothing new about the American public falling for that kind of BS.

Brian DePalma hasn't done anything decent since "Carrie."

Woody Allen used to be one of my favorites, but hasn't done anything decent in 20 years ("Hannah and Her Sisters").

Quentin Tarantino showed a lot of promise with "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction," but has sucked since.

I admired Spike Lee's early films, up to and including "Malcolm X," but then came a string of bombs ("Clockers," "He Got Game," and "Son of Sam"); he's sucked since.

Russ Meyer is overrated. His films are great if you want to masturbate to sexy women, but they're not masterpieces.

Spielberg and Scorsese are great. Shyamalan is hit-or-miss. Burton isn't the subversive artist that people make him out to be. Ron Howard and Rob Reiner have made a handful of great movies each, but they're all about story and they're not great technical filmakers.

James Cameron has made a couple good action films (the first "Terminator") and his technical achievements on "Titanic" were good, but he's overrated.

Wes Craven is pretty lame, but I liked that he parodied himself in the "Scream" films.

More....

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 4 2007, 04:44 AM)

Yeah the Kill Bill movies were unique but he doesn't direct enough to consider him great - He made two great movies in 94' and 92' Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but for being a director for over 15 years his resume is pretty slim -

I fully agree with you here as I really loathe Tarantino's films. While Resevoir Dogs was marginally watchable, I found Pulp fiction to be pretentious, overblown and smug - rather like Tarantino himself.

Re Spielberg - give him a decent adult themed story to work with and he can be awe inspiring (Schindler's List, Duel and Minority Report being the ones that come to mind), otherwise he is the cinematic equivalen of having seven tonnes of sugar injected straight into the vein.

M Night Shamalamdingdong is probably THE most overrated on the list,

Spike Lee- had his time , strong out of the gate, but has floundered...

Depalma, its always a crap shoot.... (untouchables was good...but after that.....Mission Impossible and Black Dahlia...blech

Lucas...should stick to producing and FX...

Spielberg...i dunno.. i really liked Munich, but he usually screws up the endings, usually out of regret for not being sentimental enough...the last shot in Munich almost ruined the whole movie for me.

Lynch is definitely overrated...too strange for his own good.

Fincher will be turn into one of the greats, I think.

Scorsese....does what he wants, when he wants, plus he's a nice guy.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2007, 03:32 PM)

Signs - Crap

wacko.gif

I was going to say Shyamalan as well. I just can't get into his films. And his name is a testimate to how bad horror films were in the 90's (other than Silence of the Lambs) . Concidering he made the "best critically acclaimed" horror film in that decade "Sixth Sense". Hell Eli Roth only has 2 films under his belt and he's a better filmmaker that M. Night Shyamalan.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 3 2007, 11:44 PM)

I don't hate you for this comment. You actually have a really good point there. I think the problem with Tarentino's films are that they have become extremely formulaic and are more concerned with blood, guns and swearing rather than a storyline that you can respect and say "Hey that was really interesting." Rather than, "wow so much gore, I almost threw up!" You can have a director who oozes action and violence like Robert Rodriguez and still pulls off one hell of a story. (Watch Grindhouse APRIL 6TH to understand my compairison)

But somewhere after Pulp Fiction... they all got to be the same in Tarentino's case with the exception of Kill Bill (one of my fave movies) and I think that is where he has earned his "Overrated" rep from some.

Also to say something as rediclous as M. Night Shamylan is even compareable to Alfred Hitchcock, you really need to put the crack pipe away. Hitchcock is probably one of the most innovative and creative directors of all time. How could someone compare Lady in the Water to Vertigo, or Signs to Psycho??? It boggles the mind.

In Spike Lee's defense, I actually really liked The Inside Man. I thought it was well thought out and the ending was just fabulous!

Spielberg is still on my top overrated director's list. I really think that after Jaws he just kinda caught a sniff his own shit and began to think it didn't stink. Jaws is an amazing movie, one of my faves actually... the sequels are horrible (I've ripped on them in another thread here) but Jurassic Park was so full of holes and don't even get me started on Minority Report.

Where are all the goodies like Stanley Kubrick when you need them? sad.gif

Also on the David Fincher issue... he's got some really cool movies under his belt (Fight Club) and he's still young enough that he can learn more to be a really great director. Not at all overrated IMHO.

A good director to really keep an eye out for these days is Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) he is known for his long shots.

Just a question, does anyone think John Wu is overrated?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 4 2007, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2007, 03:32 PM)

Signs - Crap

wacko.gif

I was going to say Shyamalan as well. I just can't get into his films. And his name is a testimate to how bad horror films were in the 90's (other than Silence of the Lambs) . Concidering he made the "best critically acclaimed" horror film in that decade "Sixth Sense". Hell Eli Roth only has 2 films under his belt and he's a better filmmaker that M. Night Shyamalan.

I agree with M. Night being overrated, but Eli Roth just wasn't the person to compare him to... Cabin Fever and Hostel? 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2007, 04:32 PM)

Signs - Crap

wacko.gif

Exactly right.....and add to that his latest "Lady in the Water".....and you have a huge steaming pile of dung......