Stupid Queston: Virtual Memory

Snowdog

Running xp home and I'm getting the message that the "virtual memory" is low. I did a little checking and went to task manager and ended some underlying processes that were running (spysweeper, etc.) and that seemed to clear it up. If I upgrade my RAM from 256 to at least 512, that should solve the problem, correct?

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 04:11 PM)
Running xp home and I'm getting the message that the "virtual memory" is low. I did a little checking and went to task manager and ended some underlying processes that were running (spysweeper, etc.) and that seemed to clear it up. If I upgrade my RAM from 256 to at least 512, that should solve the problem, correct?

Snow that is the weirdest thing because at work today the EXACT same thing happened to me and I have never had that error ever on that computer - and wasn't doing a thing out of the norm... I wonder if there is an undiscovered virus out there or something going on...

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:11 PM)

Absolutely. When you run out of RAM your system tries to borrow it from applications not currently using it, that is "vitual memory". 512 would be fine. Personally, I'd throw a Gig in there. laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 3 2004, 02:14 PM)

Snow that is the weirdest thing because at work today the EXACT same thing happened to me and I have never had that error ever on that computer - and wasn't doing a thing out of the norm... I wonder if there is an undiscovered virus out there or something going on...

Definitely could be a worm.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 3 2004, 04:16 PM)

I have had Norton AV current on virus defs since the day I bought the pc. I update defs at least once a week and I run system scans every week and have always come up clean. I know many aren't fans of NAV, but it seems to work ok for me. I don't think I have a worm or virus, but just in case, got any suggestions?

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 3 2004, 04:14 PM)

RR, are you running xp?

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:20 PM)

I have had Norton AV current on virus defs since the day I bought the pc. I update defs at least once a week and I run system scans every week and have always come up clean. I know many aren't fans of NAV, but it seems to work ok for me. I don't think I have a worm or virus, but just in case, got any suggestions?

Is it just memory, or does your CPU usage go to 100%? If not, throw another stick in there.

If your virtual memory settings are correct, you might not have enough hard drive space to write it to the hard drive. I'd check that first.

If you have plenty of space, (I'm talking at least 20% free on your system drive where the swap file sits) then I would do a quick chkdisk first. I've seen when there are drive errors it misreports the drive and it think there is 0 bytes free. Give that a shot, definately won't hurt.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 3 2004, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:20 PM)

Is it just memory, or does your CPU usage go to 100%? If not, throw another stick in there.

Just check cpu usage, it's just 4%

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 3 2004, 02:23 PM)
If your virtual memory settings are correct, you might not have enough hard drive space to write it to the hard drive. I'd check that first.

If you have plenty of space, (I'm talking at least 20% free on your system drive where the swap file sits) then I would do a quick chkdisk first. I've seen when there are drive errors it misreports the drive and it think there is 0 bytes free. Give that a shot, definately won't hurt.

That's a good point, Barney...forgot the HD deal. But, anyways Snowdog...256? That is soo 2001

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 3 2004, 04:23 PM)

got plenty of HD space barney. 80GB capacity, using only 30GB. How do I do a ckdisk?

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 3 2004, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 3 2004, 02:23 PM)
If your virtual memory settings are correct, you might not have enough hard drive space to write it to the hard drive.  I'd check that first.

If you have plenty of space, (I'm talking at least 20% free on your system drive where the swap file sits) then I would do a quick chkdisk first.  I've seen when there are drive errors it misreports the drive and it think there is 0 bytes free.  Give that a shot, definately won't hurt.

That's a good point, Barney...forgot the HD deal. But, anyways Snowdog...256? That is soo 2001

that's when I bought it tongue.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:27 PM)
If your virtual memory settings are correct, you might not have enough hard drive space to write it to the hard drive.  I'd check that first.

If you have plenty of space, (I'm talking at least 20% free on your system drive where the swap file sits) then I would do a quick chkdisk first.  I've seen when there are drive errors it misreports the drive and it think there is 0 bytes free.  Give that a shot, definately won't hurt.

got plenty of HD space barney. 80GB capacity, using only 30GB. How do I do a ckdisk?

Go to Start---->run> type cmd ----> chkdsk

or just open command prompt! wink.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 04:27 PM)

Ok you 100% sure that is where the swap file rests? Same drive? Just go into My Computer right-click that drive (likely will be C:) and hit Properties. There should be tools for you to check for errors. It should say you need to reboot for that to work.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:33 PM)
did a chkdsk, but it just closed the window automatically when it got done without telling me anything confused13.gif

laugh.gif I'm sure your problem rests somewhere else.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 3 2004, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Dec 3 2004, 02:33 PM)
did a chkdsk, but it just closed the window automatically when it got done without telling me anything  confused13.gif

laugh.gif I'm sure your problem rests somewhere else.

I wouldn't rule that one out yet Riv - we're not sure the chkdsk went through yet.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 3 2004, 04:35 PM)
you can run it again. Do this:

Click on Start|Run and type in CMD

in the command prompt
type in CHKDSK C: /f

it should tell you cannot do a scan... would you like to do it next reboot?

and reboot.

ok, let me give it a shot. brb

it says:

the type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock this current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts? Y/N?

It zipped by REAL fast and booted up. It gave me a window once it did boot up that said "The system has recovered from a serious error" I clicked on the details and tried to copy it so I could post it here, but it was a very long series of letters and numbers. But since it said it "has recovered" I think it helped. I gotta go to my son's football game now, but I'll check back later.

Thank you for the help, Barney, Riv. If there is anything else I should do please post and I'll check back later.

Archived