Permanent Waves

Slaine mac Roth

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 4 2004, 02:26 AM)
Proggy and I had this same conversation once over at CP. I like Permanent Waves, but I always thought PeW was the rough sketch of the upcoming masterpiece Moving Pictures.

That is partially the point I was trying to make. Without the transitional leap they made with Permanent Waves, there would have been no Moving Pictures and, as that is my favourite album of all time - period, the world would have been a lesser place.

I was 17 years old when PeW came out. I must admit I had mixed emotion at the time. New Wave music was emerging. I wasnt embracing it.Led Zepplin was dying. The B-52's were played in my music appreciation class after I shared PeW with them. ...I really did not want them to be associated with the mainstream, and the epic songs of the past kept that distance. SOR was a hit!!! the music world seemed upside down, and I just did not know what to think!!...This album was the death knell of the epic song playing band I loved , and I knew it. Yet I was charmed by this album anyway . SOR had an irresistable opening riff. Freewill had the awsome interlude. Natural Science, and Jacobs ladder weened me from the epic.And, I really liked Entre Nous. trink36.gif The concert was great, and was introduced with such fanfare by the friendly new radio staion friends.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 7 2005, 08:42 PM)
http://www.bsys.tsukuba.ac.jp/~junya/gif/rush/discog/08-pew-np.jpg

Heh. The Chicago Tribune or some newspaper made the infamous overzealous prediction that Dewey would defeat Truman. Rush used it, and got a threat, if you will, from them. Even when they changed it to 'Dewei' they didn't like it. They had to get rid of it completely.

I agree with proggy,the strenght of PW is in its variety.

Jacob's ladder and especially Natural science are two complex and awesome songs.However I prefer NS in Different Stages.

The spirit of Radio is a catchy song,very enjoyable.

Freewill is partially strange,partially FM-oriented.

Entre nous and different strings imo are good,but slightly below the others.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 03:09 AM)

Heh. The Chicago Tribune or some newspaper made the infamous overzealous prediction that Dewey would defeat Truman. Rush used it, and got a threat, if you will, from them. Even when they changed it to 'Dewei' they didn't like it. They had to get rid of it completely.

That's pretty awesome. I would assume the records with the newspapers that still have the headline are considered to be collectors items and are going for some good money? I think it would be neat to have one of them in your personal collection. yes.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 03:18 PM)

That's pretty awesome. I would assume the records with the newspapers that still have the headline are considered to be collectors items and are going for some good money? I think it would be neat to have one of them in your personal collection. yes.gif

It would be excellent to have one of those newspapers in a frame hanging around.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 06:19 PM)

It would be excellent to have one of those newspapers in a frame hanging around.

I guess, but I was talking about the album. Although, the newspaper would be cool too. yes.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 06:19 PM)

I guess, but I was talking about the album. Although, the newspaper would be cool too. yes.gif

Oh, the album! Haha! Whoops!

This morning, just before leaving for work, I decided to have Permanent Waves in my walkman as its been a while since I've given it a listen. As I was walking along, listening and loving every minute of it, I was struck by how transtional a release PeW was.

To me, this release, more than any other Rush album, marked the biggest change in direction and approach than any other.

I agree. The synthesizers account for this transitional change that you speak of, IMO. All of the songs have the (awesome) synth pads in the background that really tie the rest of the instruments together. According to the Permanent Waves tourbook, Geddy was able to reproduce these synths live because he interfaced his Moog Taurus pedals with his Oberheim Polyphonic. This album may also be seen as the beginning of the end, for those of us who don't like Rush with synths, but nevertheless, it's a great album. I love Natural Science.

i've been listening to that album a ton lately, i got it for christmas tongue.gif yay! i love natural science, spirit of radio and freewill are also good...different strings and entre nous are great, so is the camera eye...its all good smile.gif

Archived