The Holiday thread

Sweetmiracle

Post your favorite reipes, tips, stories, etc. here.

Here's my easy PB fudge recipe...usually made at our

house by one of the boys...

Set an electric skillet to 340. Add

2 C sugar

3 T buter or marg.

1 C evaporated milk

Stir until mixture boils. Boil 5 min., stirring a lot.

Turn off heat. Add:

1 C mini marshmallows

12 ounces crunchy peanut butter

1 t vanilla

Mix well. Pour into a lighly buttered 8 in. square

pan. Cool, then cut.

This is obviously a very tiring proposition. When you

finish, run a deep bath, then

read a while in the steam and suds while listening to AFTK....

What a great thread! You gals ROCK! wub.gif

I love to share recipes, so here's the first of what I'm sure will be many. I make this every year, both plain and with nuts, and sometimes I use peanut butter chips to make PB fudge. This is a microwave recipe, and it works really well for me...no bothersome dealing with the candy thermometer.

FANTASY FUDGE drool1.gif smile.gif http://www.goodnuke.com/recipes/images/fudge.jpg

PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes plus cooling.

MICROWAVE COOKING TIME: 11 and one-half minutes

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup (one and one-half sticks) margarine or butter

3 cups of sugar

1 can (5 ounce) evaporated milk (2/3 cup)

1 package (12 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 jar (7 ounces) Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme

1 cup of chopped Pecans

1 teaspoon of vanilla

MICROWAVE:

Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch or 9-inch square pan. Microwave margarine (butter) in 4-quart microwavable bowl or casserole on HIGH for one minute or until melted. Add sugar and milk; mix well. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to boil, stirring after 3 minutes. Mix well; scrape bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 5 and one-half minutes, stirring after 3 minutes.

Gradually stir in chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Cool at room temperature; cut into squares. Makes 3 pounds.

To keep your Christmas tree updated each year, rather than using garland, decorate with ribbon, flowers, and other such things. Then the following year recycle the ribbon & flowers to wrap & adorn your gifts with. Repeat yearly for a new and interesting tree.

Here is our favorite Pecan Chocolate Pie....

Melt:

1T butter

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (or 6 T cocoa)

Add and mix:

4 large eggs

3/4 C corn syrup

1/3 C brown sugar

1/3 t salt

1 t vanilla

2 C chopped pecans

Dump into a crust and bake at 375 for 30 min. or until

solid in the middle.

Rest. This was very tiring. You need a long hot bath

with candles, music and a good book. Some dark

chocolate wouldn't hurt either. Ask your Sweetie for a

massage.

I am really looking forward to trying the coffee cake and the fudge! The recipes look easy enough for my kidlings, so this year's festivities may be the result of Child Labor...

wink.gif biggrin.gif

Oooh, what fun this is. And SM, I especially appreciate the rewards we should give ourselves after all this arduous baking.

And CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE? Two of my very favorite things, together in a pie... drool1.gif

Hey how come this is posted inthe "girls" area? Some of guys like to cook too. tongue.gif

This isn't a recipe but something my kids & I do every year. We bake a couple kinds of cookies on christmas eve. Marzipan & sugar cokies. Both of these ideas will test your color mixing ability. biggrin.gif

Marzipan (you can find a recipe for it in any cookbook or online):

Make the 2 batches of dough & separate each batch into thirds, dye each one a different color using food coloring. The kids & I then shape the dough into little fruits (oranges, apples, pears, strawberries, bunches of grapes, bananas, peaches) & different holiday shapes: wreaths, candy canes etc. roll 2 pieces of dough each about as think as a pencil & then twist them around each other to get a two tone piece & then bend into shape, makes a neat wreath. For the fruits use a piece of clove for the stem & a little piece of green dough for a leaf.

Sugar cookies:

prepare the dough, cut the shapes & bake. DO NOT put the sugar on before you bake as the recipe says. The fun part is after they are baked:

Using powdered sugar, water & food coloring make different colors of icing, we usually make about 6 different colors. Now using some new paint brushes, paint the cookies with the icing. You get really cool looking cookies this way & the kids have a blast. You can paint the clothes on an angel, decorate a christmas tree, stripe a candy cane - whatever. They look much more festive than plain old sugar too!

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 3 2004, 12:22 PM)
Hey how come this is posted inthe "girls" area? Some of guys like to cook too. tongue.gif

This isn't a recipe but something my kids & I do every year. We bake a couple kinds of cookies on christmas eve. Marzipan & sugar cokies. Both of these ideas will test your color mixing ability. biggrin.gif

Make the 2 batches of dough & separate each batch into thirds, dye each one a different color using food coloring. The kids & I then shape the dough into little fruits (oranges, apples, pears, strawberries, bunches of grapes, bananas, peaches) & different holiday shapes: wreaths, candy canes etc. roll 2 pieces of dough each about as think as a pencil & then twist them around each other to get a two tone piece & then bend into shape, makes a neat wreath. For the fruits use a piece of clove for the stem & a little piece of green dough for a leaf.

Sugar cookies:
prepare the dough, cut the shapes & bake. DO NOT put the sugar on before you bake as the recipe says. The fun part is after they are baked:

Using powdered sugar, water & food coloring make different colors of icing, we usually make about 6 different colors. Now using some new paint brushes, paint the cookies with the icing. You get really cool looking cookies this way & the kids have a blast. You can paint the clothes on an angel, decorate a christmas tree, stripe a candy cane - whatever. They look much more festive than plain old sugar too!

oops.gif DM...we didn't mean to leave out the SMALL but important number of you fellas who cook. smile.gif What a great skill for a dude to have!

Great idea with the painting on the cookies! My son will love that.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 3 2004, 11:40 AM)

Great idea with the painting on the cookies!  My son will love that.

Just make sure you put down something on the table & don't do it over carpet if you can help it. laugh.gif

man am i happy that somebody took that idea and ran with it!! (thanks sweetmiracle)

my kids went to Park City, Utah, to visit with their dad's family over thanksgiving...and their Aunt makes the BEST home made fudge and short bread cookies!! this year they brought some back home for me....... wub.gif

i have to dig out some of my favorite recipies for a cookie exchange, so when i do, i'll be sure to post...(sometime this weekend i presume...)

carry on you sweet tooth froods.....http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/x/eat.gif

Every year, we spend one afternoon making and decorating sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies. We cut them out, decorate some of them before they go into the oven, then have a table full of icings in various colors, chocolate chips, cherries, sprinkles, etc. We spend hours decorating the cookies for giving to friends. Even the little ones create their own masterpieces. Very messy but worth it.

BTW, this thread is in the sisterhood because the previous cooking threads have been here. But we girls like visiting boys.... wink.gif

kishug.gif

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Dec 3 2004, 02:37 PM)
BTW, this thread is in the sisterhood because the previous cooking threads have been here. But we girls like visiting boys.... wink.gif

kishug.gif

Ok, just so we're not being ignored tongue.gif & some of us boys like visiting the girls. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 3 2004, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Dec 3 2004, 02:37 PM)
BTW, this thread is in the sisterhood because the previous cooking threads have been here.  But we girls like visiting boys.... wink.gif

kishug.gif

Ok, just so we're not being ignored tongue.gif & some of us boys like visiting the girls. tongue.gif

Yes, some of us guys shore do. wub.gif tongue.gif

I usually get a big kick out of watching my sistahs drool over the boys. Now it's my turn to drool over these recipes. (GG's fantasy fudge.... drool1.gif sounds especially intriguing.)

I shall now consult my memory banks for a suitable recipe to share. I usta cook and bake......... kinda.... sorta. (Does lasagna count?) confused13.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 3 2004, 11:38 PM)

I shall now consult my memory banks for a suitable recipe to share. I usta cook and bake......... kinda.... sorta. (Does lasagna count?) confused13.gif

Of course lasagna counts! Lasagna is a perfect food for entertaining because almost everyone eats it, you can make it ahead, and it's hard to mess it up too badly!!!

Here's one that's delicious and simple enough for kids and non-cooks....

Almond mini-chip Shortbread

Heat oven to 375. Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.

Beat:

2 sticks butter or margarine

1/2 Cup sugar

until light and fluffy. Add:

2 1/2 Cups flour

1 Teaspoon almond extract

Blend well and then add

1 cup mini chocolate chips (or more if you're inclined)

Pat into pan. Bake for about 30 minutes til golden. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, cut and eat....

These are good with tea or hot chocolate, especially in front of a fire with a good book or a cuddly Signifigant Other...

kishug.gif

I always look forward to this time of year because I love cranberries. I have the absolute best recipe for cranberry sauce lovers! wub.gif Try this!

Brandied Orange Cranberry Sauce

Prep Time: approx. 5 Minutes.

Cook Time: approx. 20 Minutes.

Ready in: approx. 25 Minutes.

Makes 4 cups (8 servings).

2/3 cup orange zest

2 cups water

2 cups white sugar

2/3 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon lemon juice

3 cups cranberries

1 tablespoon brandy

(Someone once commented that it was a little sweet so you may want to reduce the sugar a little- I like it the way it is!)

Directions

1 In a small pan over medium heat, combine the orange zest and water.

Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain,

reserving zest and 1/3 cup liquid.

2 To the reserved liquid and zest, add the sugar, orange juice and lemon juice.

Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes uncovered, stirring often.

3 Add cranberries; increase heat to medium-high and boil for about 10

minutes or until the cranberries have popped and a small spoonful of sauce sets

on a cold plate.

4 Remove from heat, stir in brandy. Pour into 4 1/2 pint jars leaving 1/2

inch space from top. Place lids onto jars, and store in the refrigerator

for up to two weeks.

Enjoy!

The best Peanut Butter Pie in the world!! So easy to make its scary!

1.cup powdered sugar

1.cup milk

2 1/2 cups whipped topping ( I use the cool whip)

1 samll box vanilla instant pudding

1 prepared graham cracker piecrust

1/3 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Mix peanut butter and sugar. Add pudding and milk, blending well. Pour in pie crust and top with whipped topping. Sprinkle with chips and chill.

Be sure to make a couple of them! They will go quick!

Fruit Cake!

Ingredients Needed:

1 cup of water

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup of brown sugar

lemon juice

4 large eggs

1 cup nuts

2 cups of dried fruit

1 bottle rum

Instructions:

Sample the rum to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the rum again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the rum is still OK, try another cup...just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, Pick the frigging fruit off floor... Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who giveshz a sheet. Check the rum. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the rum and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MRISMAS

A little story ....

A few years ago, when Evan was 11 and Ken was 7 (say that ten times fast!) all they wanted for Christmas was two Pokemon video games. Not much else. I warned them that we might not be able to get much that year, just socks and underwear.

Christmas morning came. They quickly unwrapped their gifts, and seemed pretty resigned that the games were not in the pile. They thanked us and went to play a new computer game.

A few hours later, I called Ken in to do a puzzle he had gotten. Kind of silly, really. He opened the box, only to find one of his beloved Pokemon games in it. Seems sneaky Santa-mom had put the games in old, used puzzles, thinking that her academically-gifted sons would realize that we don't usually give them their own, old out-grown used puzzles with pieces missing as Christmas presents!

doh.gif

I want to contribute to this with a chrismas cookie recipe that's been in my family for generations. The problem is... the recipe has been "modernized" for one of those stand alone mixers. We have this Kitchen Aid mixer that weighs about 40 pounds. It should be easy to compensate without the mixer.

So, here it is.

Finger Cookies

Ingredients:

Cookies:

5 Eggs

1 stick melted butter (1/2 power in microwave)

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

5 tsps. baking powder

3-4 cups flour (start with 3)

Icing:

Powdered Sugar

Annisette (licorice flavored liqueur)

With Mixer:

Put in eggs using wisk attachment on speed #2

Change attachment to dough hook and attach plastic guard over mixing bowl

Add melted butter, sugar, salt, and baking powder on speed #2

Slowly add the flour into the mix. As ingredients work into the middle, add more. It should always have a dry ring around the middle.

Add more flour 1/4 cup at a time if dough ball is not forming. You'll know it's ready when you can pinch the dough and it doesn't stick to your fingers, but make sure it is not too dry.

You can sprinkle a touch of flour on the table/counter and knead the dough to keep it moist.

To make the finger cookie, take a small piece of dough and roll it into a small ball, about the size of a large marble. With your 8 fingers from both hands (no thumbs), gently roll the dough back and forth making a thin rope shape about 6 inches in length. Then spiral the rope of dough around your pinky and place on cookie sheet. The cookies should be bite sized. Any bigger than that is too much.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 15 minutes or until just the top swirl is a pinch brown.

Let cool.

Icing:

Two icings you can make. Put powdered sugar in a pie pan. With a fork, mix the powdered sugar either with water, or substitute the water with Annisette. The icing should be a thick white texture.

Dip cookie into icing and give a thick coating, then place on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.

Before icing begins to dry, cover cookies with sprinkles. It's a good idea to use specific colored sprinkles to separate the annisette cookies from the others (if you make both).

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 3 2004, 01:22 PM)
Hey how come this is posted inthe "girls" area?  Some of guys like to cook too. tongue.gif

This isn't a recipe but something my kids & I do every year.  We bake a couple kinds of cookies on christmas eve.  Marzipan & sugar cokies.  Both of these ideas will test your color mixing ability. biggrin.gif

Make the 2 batches of dough & separate each batch into thirds, dye each one a different color using food coloring.  The kids & I then shape the dough into little fruits (oranges, apples, pears, strawberries, bunches of grapes, bananas, peaches) & different holiday shapes: wreaths, candy canes etc.  roll 2 pieces of dough each about as think as a pencil & then twist them around each other to get a two tone piece & then bend into shape, makes a neat wreath.  For the fruits use a piece of clove for the stem & a little piece of green dough for a leaf.

Sugar cookies:
prepare the dough, cut the shapes & bake.  DO NOT put the sugar on before you bake as the recipe says.  The fun part is after they are baked:

Using powdered sugar, water & food coloring make different colors of icing, we usually make about 6 different colors.  Now using some new paint brushes, paint the cookies with the icing.  You get really cool looking cookies this way & the kids have a blast.  You can paint the clothes on an angel, decorate a christmas tree, stripe a candy cane - whatever.  They look much more festive than plain old sugar too!

you gotta get 'em decoRATED 653.gif

Archived