The Holiday thread

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ladirushfan80

ladirushfan80

Dawn's Early Light

• Members
  • 12338 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with friends and family. Spirituality. Music. Getting out in the world and trying to appreciate and make the most out of each and every day. Always a work in progress...

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:15 AM

Fruit Cake!

Ingredients Needed:

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle rum

Instructions:

Sample the rum to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the rum again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the rum is still OK, try another cup...just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, Pick the frigging fruit off floor... Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who giveshz a sheet. Check the rum. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the rum and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MRISMAS

Sponsored Post

#22 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10868 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 01:56 PM

Wahoo!!  rofl3.gif   rofl3.gif   rofl3.gif

Now THAT'S my kind of fruitcake   common001.gif  

#23 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, reading, dancing, chasing kids, laundry(NOT!)

Posted 05 December 2004 - 02:26 PM

A little story ....

A few years ago, when Evan was 11 and Ken was 7 (say that ten times fast!) all they wanted for Christmas was two Pokemon video games. Not much else.  I warned them that we might not be able to get much that year, just  socks and underwear.

Christmas morning came. They quickly unwrapped their gifts, and seemed pretty  resigned that  the games were not in the pile.  They thanked us and went  to play a new computer game.

A few hours later, I called Ken in to do a puzzle he had gotten. Kind of silly, really. He opened the box, only to find one of his beloved Pokemon games in it. Seems sneaky Santa-mom had put the games in old, used puzzles, thinking that her academically-gifted sons would realize that we don't usually give them their own, old out-grown used puzzles with pieces missing as Christmas presents!

doh.gif  

#24 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

I want to contribute to this with a chrismas cookie recipe that's been in my family for generations.  The problem is... the recipe has been "modernized" for one of those stand alone mixers.  We have this Kitchen Aid mixer that weighs about 40 pounds.  It should be easy to compensate without the mixer.

So, here it is.

Finger Cookies

Ingredients:
Cookies:
5 Eggs
1 stick melted butter (1/2 power in microwave)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tsps. baking powder
3-4 cups flour (start with 3)

Icing:
Powdered Sugar
Annisette (licorice flavored liqueur)

With Mixer:
Put in eggs using wisk attachment on speed #2
Change attachment to dough hook and attach plastic guard over mixing bowl
Add melted butter, sugar, salt, and baking powder on speed #2
Slowly add the flour into the mix.  As ingredients work into the middle, add more.  It should always have a dry ring around the middle.
Add more flour 1/4 cup at a time if dough ball is not forming. You'll know it's ready when you can pinch the dough and it doesn't stick to your fingers, but make sure it is not too dry.

You can sprinkle a touch of flour on the table/counter and knead the dough to keep it moist.

To make the finger cookie, take a small piece of dough and roll it into a small ball, about the size of a large marble.  With your 8 fingers from both hands (no thumbs), gently roll the dough back and forth making a thin rope shape about 6 inches in length.  Then spiral the rope of dough around your pinky and place on cookie sheet.  The cookies should be bite sized.  Any bigger than that is too much.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake 15 minutes or until just the top swirl is a pinch brown.

Let cool.

Icing:
Two icings you can make.  Put powdered sugar in a pie pan.  With a fork, mix the powdered sugar either with water, or substitute the water with Annisette.  The icing should be a thick white texture.
Dip cookie into icing and give a thick coating, then place on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
Before icing begins to dry, cover cookies with sprinkles.  It's a good idea to use specific colored sprinkles to separate the annisette cookies from the others (if you make both).

#25 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10868 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 3 2004, 01:22 PM)
Hey how come this is posted inthe "girls" area?  Some of guys like to cook too. tongue.gif

This isn't a recipe but something my kids & I do every year.  We bake a couple kinds of cookies on christmas eve.  Marzipan & sugar cokies.  Both of these ideas will test your color mixing ability. biggrin.gif

Marzipan (you can find a recipe for it in any cookbook or online):
Make the 2 batches of dough & separate each batch into thirds, dye each one a different color using food coloring.   The kids & I then shape the dough into little fruits (oranges, apples, pears, strawberries, bunches of grapes, bananas, peaches) & different holiday shapes: wreaths, candy canes etc.  roll 2 pieces of dough each about as think as a pencil & then twist them around each other to get a two tone piece & then bend into shape, makes a neat wreath.  For the fruits use a piece of clove for the stem & a little piece of green dough for a leaf.

Sugar cookies:
prepare the dough, cut the shapes & bake.  DO NOT put the sugar on before you bake as the recipe says.  The fun part is after they are baked:

Using powdered sugar, water & food coloring make different colors of icing, we usually make about 6 different colors.  Now using some new paint brushes, paint the cookies with the icing.  You get really cool looking cookies this way & the kids have a blast.  You can paint the clothes on an angel, decorate a christmas tree, stripe a candy cane - whatever.  They look much more festive than plain old sugar too!

you gotta get 'em decoRATED   653.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users