The Holiday thread

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, reading, dancing, chasing kids, laundry(NOT!)

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

Post your favorite reipes, tips, stories, etc. here.

Here's my easy PB fudge recipe...usually made at our
house by one of the boys...

Set an electric skillet to 340. Add

2 C sugar
3 T buter or marg.
1 C evaporated milk

Stir until mixture boils. Boil 5 min., stirring a lot.
Turn off heat. Add:

1 C mini marshmallows
12 ounces crunchy peanut butter
1 t vanilla

Mix well. Pour into a lighly buttered 8 in. square
pan. Cool, then cut.

This is obviously a very tiring proposition. When you
finish, run a deep bath, then
read a while in the steam and suds while listening to AFTK....

Sponsored Post

#2 neilpeart_gal

neilpeart_gal

Chas' Counterpart

• Members *
  • 3270 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:30 AM

I haven't tried this yet (Chas will be my first victim when he gets here!  smile.gif  but my best friend swears by this.  Easy to make for breakfast and YUMMY!

Coffee Cake

1 (1 lb. 9oz.) package frozen yeast rolls
1 cup brown sugar
1 (3 1/4 oz) regular butterscotch pudding
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1 stick margarine, melted

Grease a large Bundt pan and fill around stem with frozen rolls. Use no more than 24 rolls-I use 20. Sprinkle with brown sugar, pudding, cinnamon and nuts. Pour melted margarine over all ingredients. Let rise 8 hours or until rolls fill pan. Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes.

NOTE:  you can let this sit in the cold oven overnight to rise. smile.gif

Edited by neilpeart_gal, 03 December 2004 - 11:30 AM.

#3 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
  • Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:33 AM

What a great thread!  You gals ROCK! wub.gif

I love to share recipes, so here's the first of what I'm sure will be many.  I make this every year, both plain and with nuts, and sometimes I use peanut butter chips to make PB fudge.  This is a microwave recipe, and it works really well for me...no bothersome dealing with the candy thermometer.

FANTASY FUDGE drool1.gif smile.gif user posted image

PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes plus cooling.
MICROWAVE COOKING TIME: 11 and one-half minutes

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup (one and one-half sticks) margarine or butter
3 cups of sugar
1 can (5 ounce) evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
1 package (12 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar (7 ounces) Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
1 cup of chopped Pecans
1 teaspoon of vanilla

MICROWAVE:
Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch or 9-inch square pan. Microwave margarine (butter) in 4-quart microwavable bowl or casserole on HIGH for one minute or until melted. Add sugar and milk; mix well. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to boil, stirring after 3 minutes. Mix well; scrape bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 5 and one-half minutes, stirring after 3 minutes.

Gradually stir in chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Cool at room temperature; cut into squares. Makes 3 pounds.  

#4 RazorsEdge

RazorsEdge

The Seeker

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:34 AM

To keep your Christmas tree updated each year, rather than using garland, decorate with ribbon, flowers, and other such things. Then the following year recycle the ribbon & flowers to wrap & adorn your gifts with. Repeat yearly for a new and interesting tree.

#5 RazorsEdge

RazorsEdge

The Seeker

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:35 AM

I don't have any recipes on hand, but I'm pretty durn crafty!

#6 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:38 AM

Here is our favorite Pecan Chocolate Pie....

Melt:

1T butter
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (or 6 T cocoa)

Add and mix:

4 large eggs
3/4 C corn syrup
1/3 C brown sugar
1/3 t salt
1 t vanilla
2 C chopped pecans

Dump into a crust and bake at 375 for 30 min. or until
solid in the middle.

Rest. This was very tiring. You need a long hot bath
with candles, music and a good book. Some dark
chocolate wouldn't hurt either. Ask your Sweetie for a
massage.  

I am really looking forward to trying the coffee cake and the fudge! The recipes look easy enough for my kidlings, so this year's festivities may be the result of Child Labor...

wink.gif  biggrin.gif  

#7 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

Oooh, what fun this is.  And SM, I especially appreciate the rewards we should give ourselves after all this arduous baking.

And CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE?  Two of my very favorite things, together in a pie...  drool1.gif

#8 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:22 PM

Hey how come this is posted inthe "girls" area?  Some of guys like to cook too. tongue.gif

This isn't a recipe but something my kids & I do every year.  We bake a couple kinds of cookies on christmas eve.  Marzipan & sugar cokies.  Both of these ideas will test your color mixing ability. biggrin.gif

Marzipan (you can find a recipe for it in any cookbook or online):
Make the 2 batches of dough & separate each batch into thirds, dye each one a different color using food coloring.   The kids & I then shape the dough into little fruits (oranges, apples, pears, strawberries, bunches of grapes, bananas, peaches) & different holiday shapes: wreaths, candy canes etc.  roll 2 pieces of dough each about as think as a pencil & then twist them around each other to get a two tone piece & then bend into shape, makes a neat wreath.  For the fruits use a piece of clove for the stem & a little piece of green dough for a leaf.

Sugar cookies:
prepare the dough, cut the shapes & bake.  DO NOT put the sugar on before you bake as the recipe says.  The fun part is after they are baked:

Using powdered sugar, water & food coloring make different colors of icing, we usually make about 6 different colors.  Now using some new paint brushes, paint the cookies with the icing.  You get really cool looking cookies this way & the kids have a blast.  You can paint the clothes on an angel, decorate a christmas tree, stripe a candy cane - whatever.  They look much more festive than plain old sugar too!

#9 neilpeart_gal

neilpeart_gal

Chas' Counterpart

• Members *
  • 3270 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:40 PM

The sugar cookie idea sounds like fun!!  

Now, if I just had some kids....!

Oh well, maybe my cat would enjoy it??  Nah!  wink.gif  

#10 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 3 2004, 12:22 PM)
Hey how come this is posted inthe "girls" area?  Some of guys like to cook too. tongue.gif

This isn't a recipe but something my kids & I do every year.  We bake a couple kinds of cookies on christmas eve.  Marzipan & sugar cokies.  Both of these ideas will test your color mixing ability. biggrin.gif

Marzipan (you can find a recipe for it in any cookbook or online):
Make the 2 batches of dough & separate each batch into thirds, dye each one a different color using food coloring.   The kids & I then shape the dough into little fruits (oranges, apples, pears, strawberries, bunches of grapes, bananas, peaches) & different holiday shapes: wreaths, candy canes etc.  roll 2 pieces of dough each about as think as a pencil & then twist them around each other to get a two tone piece & then bend into shape, makes a neat wreath.  For the fruits use a piece of clove for the stem & a little piece of green dough for a leaf.

Sugar cookies:
prepare the dough, cut the shapes & bake.  DO NOT put the sugar on before you bake as the recipe says.  The fun part is after they are baked:

Using powdered sugar, water & food coloring make different colors of icing, we usually make about 6 different colors.  Now using some new paint brushes, paint the cookies with the icing.  You get really cool looking cookies this way & the kids have a blast.  You can paint the clothes on an angel, decorate a christmas tree, stripe a candy cane - whatever.  They look much more festive than plain old sugar too!

oops.gif   DM...we didn't mean to leave out the SMALL but important number of you fellas who cook. smile.gif  What a great skill for a dude to have!

Great idea with the painting on the cookies!  My son will love that.

#11 Digital Man

Digital Man

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 3 2004, 11:40 AM)

Great idea with the painting on the cookies!  My son will love that.

Just make sure you put down something on the table & don't do it over carpet if you can help it.  laugh.gif

Edited by Digital Man, 04 December 2004 - 12:41 PM.

#12 ladirushfan80

ladirushfan80

Dawn's Early Light

• Members
  • 12338 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with friends and family. Spirituality. Music. Getting out in the world and trying to appreciate and make the most out of each and every day. Always a work in progress...

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

man am i happy that somebody took that idea and ran with it!!  (thanks sweetmiracle)

my kids went to Park City, Utah, to visit with their dad's family over thanksgiving...and their Aunt makes the BEST home made fudge and short bread cookies!!  this year they brought some back home for me....... wub.gif
i have to dig out some of my favorite recipies for a cookie exchange, so when i do, i'll be sure to post...(sometime this weekend i presume...)
carry on you sweet tooth froods.....user posted image

#13 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:37 PM

Every year, we spend one afternoon making and decorating sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies. We cut them out, decorate some of them before they go into the oven, then have a table full of icings in various colors, chocolate chips, cherries, sprinkles, etc. We spend hours decorating the cookies for giving to friends. Even the little ones create their own masterpieces. Very messy but worth it.

BTW, this thread is in the sisterhood because the previous cooking threads have been here.  But we girls like visiting boys.... wink.gif

kishug.gif  

#14 Digital Man

Digital Man

• 8407 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Dec 3 2004, 02:37 PM)
BTW, this thread is in the sisterhood because the previous cooking threads have been here.  But we girls like visiting boys.... wink.gif

kishug.gif

Ok, just so we're not being ignored tongue.gif & some of us boys like visiting the girls. tongue.gif  

#15 The Notorious B.S.G.

The Notorious B.S.G.

<harumph>

• Members *
  • 3139 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 3 2004, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Dec 3 2004, 02:37 PM)
BTW, this thread is in the sisterhood because the previous cooking threads have been here.  But we girls like visiting boys.... wink.gif

kishug.gif

Ok, just so we're not being ignored tongue.gif & some of us boys like visiting the girls. tongue.gif

Yes, some of us guys shore do.  wub.gif  tongue.gif

I usually get a big kick out of watching my sistahs drool over the boys. Now it's my turn to drool over these recipes. (GG's fantasy fudge....  drool1.gif  sounds especially intriguing.)

I shall now consult my memory banks for a suitable recipe to share. I usta cook and bake......... kinda.... sorta. (Does lasagna count?)  confused13.gif  

#16 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 3 2004, 11:38 PM)

I shall now consult my memory banks for a suitable recipe to share. I usta cook and bake......... kinda.... sorta. (Does lasagna count?)  confused13.gif

Of course lasagna counts! Lasagna is a perfect food for entertaining because almost everyone eats it, you can make it ahead, and it's hard to mess it up too badly!!!

Here's one that's delicious and simple enough for kids and non-cooks....

Almond mini-chip Shortbread

Heat oven to 375. Grease a 13" x 9"  baking pan.

Beat:
2 sticks butter or margarine
1/2 Cup sugar

until light and fluffy. Add:
2 1/2 Cups flour
1 Teaspoon almond extract

Blend well and then add
1 cup mini chocolate chips (or more if you're inclined)

Pat into pan. Bake for about 30 minutes til golden. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, cut and eat....

These are good with tea or hot chocolate, especially in front of a fire with a good book or a cuddly Signifigant Other...

kishug.gif  

#17 RushedOne2112

RushedOne2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, animals, nature, cooking, gardening, jewelry-making

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:05 PM

I always look forward to this time of year because I love cranberries.  I have the absolute best recipe for cranberry sauce lovers!  wub.gif  Try this!

Brandied Orange Cranberry Sauce
   Prep Time: approx. 5 Minutes.
   Cook Time: approx. 20 Minutes.
   Ready in: approx. 25 Minutes.
   Makes 4 cups (8 servings).

2/3 cup orange zest
2 cups water
2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups cranberries
1 tablespoon brandy

(Someone once commented that it was a little sweet so you may want to reduce the sugar a little- I like it the way it is!)

Directions
1 In a small pan over medium heat, combine the orange zest and water.
   Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain,
   reserving zest and 1/3 cup liquid.

2 To the reserved liquid and zest, add the sugar, orange juice and lemon juice.
   Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes uncovered, stirring often.

3 Add cranberries; increase heat to medium-high and boil for about 10
   minutes or until the cranberries have popped and a small spoonful of sauce sets
   on a cold plate.

4 Remove from heat, stir in brandy. Pour into 4 1/2 pint jars leaving 1/2
   inch space from top. Place lids onto jars, and store in the refrigerator
   for up to two weeks.

Enjoy!

#18 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

Just got the tree today...I already named it..Jimmy! lol hmmm i'll have to dig out some recipes for you guys....I have some good ones!  

#19 pixey

pixey

13! Why thats my lucky number!

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Interests:Reading, music, my kids, going to concerts, the net, watching tv, fairies, dining out, old muscle cars, England.

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

The best Peanut Butter Pie in the world!! So easy to make its scary!

1.cup powdered sugar
1.cup milk
2 1/2 cups whipped topping ( I use the cool whip)
1 samll box vanilla instant pudding
1 prepared graham cracker piecrust
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Mix peanut butter and sugar. Add pudding and milk, blending well. Pour in pie crust and top with whipped topping. Sprinkle with chips and chill.

Be sure to make a couple of them! They will go quick!

#20 xanadu66

xanadu66

The Seeker

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:32 PM

GhostGirl..your Fantasy Fudge is truly AMAZING  trink39.gif    My daughter and I made it yesterday afternoon, its VERY easy to make.  The Fantasy has become a chocolate REALITY  smile.gif  Thanx for the great recipes..there are so many that look YUMMY!  wub.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users