Changing seasons change your Rush habits?

Drew

I have noticed that at different points in the year, depending on the season, I start listening to different eras of Rush.

In the winter, I tend to go toward their 70's material, like 2112 and AFTK.

In the spring, it's more of the mid 80's stuff... Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, etc.

In the summer, it tends to be the early 80's, like Moving Pictures and Signals.

In the fall, it's their 90's stuff and Vapor Trails.

Am I alone in this? Does your musical Rush taste change during the year?

QUOTE (Drew @ Dec 2 2004, 10:17 PM)
I have noticed that at different points in the year, depending on the season, I start listening to different eras of Rush.

In the spring, it's more of the mid 80's stuff... Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, etc.

Interesting because I was just thinking about this today - listening to Presto in the car for the first time in a long time, thinking "This is a Winter album." Don't know why, it just has a winter feel to it for me... Maybe it came out in the winter and therefore that was the first time I heard it? Not sure what month that came out in... But it could also be the black and white cover makes me think winter or something...

The songs I listen to, have most of the time to do with my mood, or just what I feel like to hear. But maybe because I don't like fall and winter so much, I pickout certain songs.

I hardly have time to listen to a full album, so I pick out some songs every day...

I day that I have not listened to Rush, is a day not lived smile.gif

I think about that stuff all the time. I don't really change what I listen to during the change of seasons... however a particular CD will have more of a fitting feel depending on the season.

T4E is my winter album. MP is summer. VT is fall. Feedback is all about summer. Fly By Night is summer for me (spent an entire summer throwing horseshoes to that cassette). AFTK/Hemispheres are Spring. CP is fall.

Great topic. I think about this stuff all the time, but would never think to talk about it. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 3 2004, 03:40 AM)

Interesting because I was just thinking about this today - listening to Presto in the car for the first time in a long time, thinking "This is a Winter album." Don't know why, it just has a winter feel to it for me... Maybe it came out in the winter and therefore that was the first time I heard it? Not sure what month that came out in... But it could also be the black and white cover makes me think winter or something...

Interesting, because I would have said Presto was a summer album, but that's because in July of this year, I had it on in the car quite a bit.

Signals would be a sumer albumn as well, but like stadiums (stadia??), I tend to be all weather.

Any time is a good time for 2.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 2 2004, 10:40 PM)

I listen to for some reason" CARESS OF STEEL" During the Holidays.............Very Cool my friend....RUSH IS EVERLISTING?

I don't tend to associate albums with times of year, but rather weather patterns and phenonena. Also, certain songs I associate with weather.

Examples:

I tend to think of overcast days and gentle rain in the rural country when I listen to Presto. It's a "stay in bed" kind of record.

I associate Grace Under Pressure with raw, overcast days, but no rain. Could be because I got the album the day before Easter in 1984.

Signals, I tend to think of the end of summer and edge of fall.

Power Windows makes me think of rainy days as night approaches.

The song "Fly By Night" I associate with a hot summer day at the beach. That's because that is where I was when I first heard that song on the radio.

Hold Your Fire makes me think of brilliant, orange sunsets.

Hemispheres makes me think of Christmastime as does 2112, specifically "Oracle: The Dream"

The Camera Eye makes me think of star filled night skies.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 2 2004, 10:40 PM)

Presto was released in Nov. 89

Top be quite honest, there is no pattern to what Rush I listen too. It usually starts with me looking at the CD rack and seeing what disc takes my fancy (Permanent Waves this morning before I left for work).

Unless, of course, I have my complete MP3 disc with my walkman set to shuffle.

i only remember that presto came out in Nov 89 because it was my freshman year in college and i was having a tough time adjusting, that album came out and listening to it made me feel so much better, it totally related to what i was going through at the time, so as a result it's been one of my favorites ever since, esp. the pass, so glad with RIR i have a live version to both listen to and watch all year round 1287.gif

I don't really go with the seasons the only thing that stands out for me is...the feedback Album...I bought in the summer time and I uesd to listen to it at work all day...so thats a good sumemer album for me.. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 3 2004, 10:52 AM)
Top be quite honest, there is no pattern to what Rush I listen too. It usually starts with me looking at the CD rack and seeing what disc takes my fancy (Permanent Waves this morning before I left for work).

Unless, of course, I have my complete MP3 disc with my walkman set to shuffle.

I'm the same way...in the car, I have to assess my mood and temperament, and let that dictate what I'm going to listen to.

*Happy - Counterparts ('cause I loves that one some lots)

*Sad - GUP (well, Red Sector A isn't exactly cheerful)

*Nervous - Feedback ('cause it's laidback and relaxed)

*Pissed - Vapor Trails (that opening drum barrage just FEELS good)

This list has no rhyme or reason and is subject to change at any time smile.gif Sometimes I just close my eyes and grab a cd. smile.gif

For summer, I love Roll the Bones, Power Windows.

Fall I love Test 4 Echo, and Counterparts.

Winter is Presto, and Moving Pictures for sure.

Spring is Signals, and Vapor Trails.

But anytime is a good Rush time.

I haven't noticed the seasons changing my listening habits. I do find that my mood influences my habits. When I wanna rock 1022.gif I listen to 70's Rush. When I feel introspective unsure.gif unsure.gif I move on to the 80's and 90's. I agree with Madra-Anytime is a good time for 2.gif !

Archived