The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

8k race this friday, the same one I suffered the heat stroke in 2012 and was rushed to the hospital (posted in this thread about it if you look back). Wish me luck!

So how did you go, barney? I did a VERY LOOSE 8km last night, the last run I´ll do prior to the marathon on Sunday. I´m so ready that I could do it all right now!!!

8k race this friday, the same one I suffered the heat stroke in 2012 and was rushed to the hospital (posted in this thread about it if you look back). Wish me luck!

So how did you go, barney? I did a VERY LOOSE 8km last night, the last run I´ll do prior to the marathon on Sunday. I´m so ready that I could do it all right now!!!

Hey man, race is tonight. I have a goal of 31-32 minutes. I have a feeling I will finish around 31:30, if I am lucky under 31 minutes.

^^ As if time stood still, I suffered another heat stroke and DNF. Then an injury in the fall, but I managed to beat my previous year's half-marathon time by 3 seconds (1:25:46).

Then came long months of physio, saw my times slow down and I contemplated retiring.

But then, I noticed I could sustain a long pace. I joined a local running club, and trained for my first marathon.

A few weeks ago, I ran my first. I ran 3:15:38, missing my current age group BQ, but I am good for 2018 Boston since I beat my next year's age group by 9:22. See you guys in Boston in 2018.

• Like 3

I was training for yet another marathon, but in September/October I had two hospital emergencies within a 03 week period. One was with muscular pain on the chest and back (which I thought could be a heart attack - knock on wood!) and then a VERY debilitating form of sinusitis. On both occasions I had high fevers, dizzyness, nauseas, weakness and shortness of breath. The doctor who helped me said that the long runs for several weeks were harming my immune system. So I gave it up - the actual marathon will happen on November 20th, but at least for now I´m focusing on half marathons. My training was ok, I just didn´t have enough time to rest after the longer weekend runs. Such a shame!

^^ As if time stood still, I suffered another heat stroke and DNF. Then an injury in the fall, but I managed to beat my previous year's half-marathon time by 3 seconds (1:25:46).

Then came long months of physio, saw my times slow down and I contemplated retiring.

But then, I noticed I could sustain a long pace. I joined a local running club, and trained for my first marathon.

A few weeks ago, I ran my first. I ran 3:15:38, missing my current age group BQ, but I am good for 2018 Boston since I beat my next year's age group by 9:22. See you guys in Boston in 2018.

That is a heck of an accomplishment. Congrat's!

Well done!!!

Just found out I have a torn medial meniscus and a tiny ACL tear. Tomorrow seeing the orthopedic surgeon. :(

Good luck, Rick! Let us know the diagnosis...

The surgery was Tuesday. I had the meniscus repaired and the ACL didn't need to be replaced, thank Christ. It's been a little sore, but not unbearable. PT starts on Nov. 22, and 6-8 weeks before I can run on it. I told the kids we're running on New Year's Eve day.

• Like 3

Just found out I have a torn medial meniscus and a tiny ACL tear. Tomorrow seeing the orthopedic surgeon. :(

Good luck, Rick! Let us know the diagnosis...

The surgery was Tuesday. I had the meniscus repaired and the ACL didn't need to be replaced, thank Christ. It's been a little sore, but not unbearable. PT starts on Nov. 22, and 6-8 weeks before I can run on it. I told the kids we're running on New Year's Eve day.

:cheerleader:

That's great news!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this,

I had surgery withe same injury back in 2008. Hope you are doing well. :cheers:

I need to start running again. Been way too long.

So Rick, if your calculations are correct, there´s only a handful of days until you can run again, right?

I have a half marathon to run this Sunday - the last race of the year!!! This time I´ve decided not to worry too much about the time, and just celebrate the end of the year. I hope I can keep that promise!

So Rick, if your calculations are correct, there´s only a handful of days until you can run again, right?

I have a half marathon to run this Sunday - the last race of the year!!! This time I´ve decided not to worry too much about the time, and just celebrate the end of the year. I hope I can keep that promise!

Good luck Rodrigo.

Rehab has gone well. I could run now if I had to, but probably not more than a couple miles without being sore.

Man, what a weekend!!! On Saturday my team had a relay competition - I did 04km, but ran to my starting point before the race started, and ran home after it finished - total 12km. Then on Sunday I did the Half Marathon under excruciating heat! It all went well up to km14, and then I struggled to keep the pace. I finished in 01h52min, my worst half marathon in recent years. I was hoping to do it in the 01h45min - 01h50min range, but not yesterday...
  • Like 2

Yesterday morning, my son and I went for a 3 mile run. One week ahead of schedule, and 47 days after surgery. Pretty good Christmas present. Thank you Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

I need to get my fat butt of the couch and back running. :LOL:
  • Like 1