Problems

pixey

I have Windows XP Home Edition. About 7 months ago my burner stopped working, soon after that I realized that almost any software cd I put in doesnt work though some do. For instance I put in Works Suite and it wont work but I can put in a CD and it will play. But no dvds will work. My floppy discs wont work, none of them.

So far I have tried Help and Support

Removing the drive and having Windows re install it.

I spent 4 hours on the phone with a tech, we went into the registry and removed un needed files

In my computer I right clicked on dvd/cd-rw properties and it tells me that the device is not ready.

In device properties it tells me the device is working properly, but its not.

In the properties of the dvd itself it has no volume at all.

I have tried to update the driver and roll back the driver

In the folder itself it is empty

In the device Manager there is no exclamtion mark next to the devices

Windows media player cannot find the dvd player

I think so far thats what I have tried. Any ideas? The tech said I need a dvd decoder, however I didnt understand how that could be when it used to play them. fing.gif

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:49 AM)
I have Windows XP Home Edition. About 7 months ago my burner stopped working, soon after that I realized that almost any software cd I put in doesnt work though some do. For instance I put in Works Suite and it wont work but I can put in a CD and it will play. But no dvds will work. My floppy discs wont work, none of them.

I spent 4 hours on the phone with a tech, we went into the registry and removed un needed files
In my computer I right clicked on dvd/cd-rw properties and it tells me that the device is not ready.

I think so far thats what I have tried. Any ideas? The tech said I need a dvd decoder, however I didnt understand how that could be when it used to play them. fing.gif

You have a bad IDE port or a drive I believe.

PIXEY! I had the same problem....do you by chance have an external Hard-drive? That was the problem for mine....it took over my main computer and changed the settings on the Burner so I couldn't use it.....One thing tho....do you have a bootable disk like XP or something like Windows 98 anything! anyways if you put in that CD and if it reads it....you have a program interfering with the burner...like a burnering program or music program or something...if it doesn't read then it sounds like you a have dead drive...or what RR said.... biggrin.gif laugh.gif trink36.gif

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 07:49 AM)

So, are you saying that when you go to play a DVD the software for playing them (like poerdvd) initiates but then stops?

I can email you any decoders that you need. It might fix the problem.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 2 2004, 07:31 PM)
PIXEY! I had the same problem....do you by chance have an external Hard-drive? That was the problem for mine....it took over my main computer and changed the settings on the Burner so I couldn't use it.....One thing tho....do you have a bootable disk like XP or something like Windows 98 anything! anyways if you put in that CD and if it reads it....you have a program interfering with the burner...like a burnering program or music program or something...if it doesn't read then it sounds like you a have dead drive...or what RR said.... biggrin.gif laugh.gif trink36.gif

laugh.gif

Your external drive did not just take over, you had an operating system on it and the computer booted up to that one, thus using any settings and drivers associated with it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 2 2004, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:49 AM)

I think so far thats what I have tried. Any ideas? The tech said I need a dvd decoder, however I didnt understand how that could be when it used to play them.  fing.gif

You have a bad IDE port or a drive I believe.

It plays CD's though. Maybe switch out the IDE cable. confused13.gif

I do not have an extrenal drive and I dont have another computer to try to the drive on, let alone I wouldnt know how to do that.

When I put a dvd in or another disc like Works Suite it does nothing, I mean nothing at all. Theres no error message or anything. Sometimes I can hear the cd itself making noises, not normal noises.

I can listen to cds just fine and I can get certain discs to work. I used a disc to upgrade AOL, play games and such. Seems like the only disc I cant get to work is Works Suite and to burn.

I went into my Device Manager to look at the IDE and there are no exclamation marks and in properties both secondary and main IDE says that the device is working properly.

Riv my email adress is deth1268@yahoo.com. Thank You. I would be grateful and with hopes it would work!

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 10:38 PM)
I do not have an extrenal drive and I dont have another computer to try to the drive on, let alone I wouldnt know how to do that.

When I put a dvd in or another disc like Works Suite it does nothing, I mean nothing at all. Theres no error message or anything. Sometimes I can hear the cd itself making noises, not normal noises.
I can listen to cds just fine and I can get certain discs to work. I used a disc to upgrade AOL, play games and such. Seems like the only disc I cant get to work is Works Suite and to burn.
I went into my Device Manager to look at the IDE and there are no exclamation marks and in properties both secondary and main IDE says that the device is working properly.

Riv my email adress is deth1268@yahoo.com. Thank You. I would be grateful and with hopes it would work!

Pixey you are welcome to send me the drive and I will try on one of my computers and diagnose it for you. I will check in a single day and return it the next...

Pix, I can't find my codecs right now...I'll keep looking. If you have Kazaa you can get them doing a search for codecs or codecs all.

Sounds like it's a hardware problem, though.

Ok I have Lime Wire so what exactly should I be looking for? I am computer illetirate ( laugh.gif ) so I have no idea. Only been on a computer for almost 2 yrs. Never been on one before that.

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:14 PM)
Ok I have Lime Wire so what exactly should I be looking for? I am computer illetirate ( laugh.gif ) so I have no idea. Only been on a computer for almost 2 yrs. Never been on one before that.

Not familiar with limewire. In the search field pick software. Then just search for "codecs" There are some packages that have all of the codecs bunched together so try "codecs all" or "multi codecs" I have a DVD Rom I can send you if you want. I'm like a freakin' Radio Shack.

Whatever ya like! I just need help. I have no idea what the problem is.

I know what codecs are but I thought you had to get the right one for the right thing. Does that make sense. If I put in a new dvd-rom does that mean I could burn again and use WS? Mostly I want it to burn, I miss burning so bad!!!!

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:35 PM)
Whatever ya like! I just need help. I have no idea what the problem is.
I know what codecs are but I thought you had to get the right one for the right thing. Does that make sense. If I put in a new dvd-rom does that mean I could burn again and use WS? Mostly I want it to burn, I miss burning so bad!!!!

Oh it is a DVD burner? I don't have a spare one of those. How old is it?

The computer was bought from Gateway in Feb of 2002. Its not old. I do regular Windowes Updates. The tech told me to get that decoder. I dont think he was very smart. I just have a hard time understanding why the only things I cant do is burn, use the Works suite and Windows Media Player cant find the dvd when I put it in. Also is the DVD- CD-RW folder in my computer supposed to be empty? Also in Properties is the volume supposed to be full?

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:45 PM)
The computer was bought from Gateway in Feb of 2002. Its not old. I do regular Windowes Updates. The tech told me to get that decoder. I dont think he was very smart. I just have a hard time understanding why the only things I cant do is burn, use the Works suite and Windows Media Player cant find the dvd when I put it in. Also is the DVD- CD-RW folder in my computer supposed to be empty? Also in Properties is the volume supposed to be full?

none of that would have to do with it not playing. Are you sure you reloaded the software that allows you to burn and play DVD's? Did you say you reloaded your O/S?

Ya lost me there Riv.

I went into the device manager and uninstalled the cd/dvd, wiindows redetected upon restart. That didnt work.

Everything was already on the computer when I bought it. Most of the time I use Musicmatch to burn.

Your floppy doesn't work? that's on a different cable and spot on your motherboard. That tech should not have had you mess with the registry. The floppy may be a different issue. Is everything still under warranty?

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:50 PM)
Ya lost me there Riv.

I went into the device manager and uninstalled the cd/dvd, wiindows redetected upon restart. That didnt work.
Everything was already on the computer when I bought it. Most of the time I use Musicmatch to burn.

OK. I may know what it is. Who makes the DVD burner? Is there a brand name? I bet when windows detected it it did not install proper drivers for it. I don't think it has generic DVD burner drivers. Or, what is the model Gateway you have?

Its not under warranty anymore. The tech knew the floppy wasnt working. We went into the registry and deleted 2 files he said werent needed. The floppy doesnt work at all.

It all worked fine until a month after the warranty expired.

How do I find the name of the Burner? I think the name of the dvd is InterVideo Win DVD 4. The cd might be Standard. I cant tell cuz there are so many names!

I think its a Gateway 500, but cant be sure.

Archived