Critics

Test4VitalSigns

What's with all these critics who give negative Rush reviews always referring Rush fans as "Dungeons and Dragons" geeks? As far as I can tell the Rush fan base covers all kinds of folks from little kids to 60 year old grannies...from regular joes to lawyers and doctors....the mere mention of Dungeons and Dragons shows how stuck they are in the '80's and how moronic they are. They wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it bit them in the ass!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 29 2004, 03:01 AM)
What's with all these critics who give negative Rush reviews always referring Rush fans as "Dungeons and Dragons" geeks? As far as I can tell the Rush fan base covers all kinds of folks from little kids to 60 year old grannies...from regular joes to lawyers and doctors....the mere mention of Dungeons and Dragons shows how stuck they are in the '80's and how moronic they are. They wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it bit them in the ass!

You aren't kidding man... Rolling Stone is the one that has always pissed me off. I remember when the HYF album came out - they ripped it apart if I remember correctly - thta is when I cancelled my subscription finally (after the precedent of several bad reviews before that on good albums)...

Funny I never played it. I never heard that reference to fans, either. There are a lot of good and great reviews out there, but you'll always have the negative.

Maybe it's because Rush gained more popularity in the '80s. I'd just ignore negative reviews, and consider the source. Perhaps the reference is for their 'dragon' logo? yes.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 29 2004, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 29 2004, 03:01 AM)
What's with all these critics who give negative Rush reviews always referring Rush fans as "Dungeons and Dragons" geeks?  As far as I can tell the Rush fan base covers all kinds of folks from little kids to 60 year old grannies...from regular joes to lawyers and doctors....the mere mention of Dungeons and Dragons shows how stuck they are in the '80's and how moronic they are.  They wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it bit them in the ass!

You aren't kidding man... Rolling Stone is the one that has always pissed me off. I remember when the HYF album came out - they ripped it apart if I remember correctly - thta is when I cancelled my subscription finally (after the precedent of several bad reviews before that on good albums)...

waffen093.gif A few years back many Rush sites were calling for a boycot on Rolling Stone. Bad reviews is just part of it. They also determine who enters the Hall Of Fame, and their director(can't remember the name)said that Rush will never see the hall as long as he has a say.

I really don't care anymore if they make it, because it has been defiled by a role model, child molestor, moonwalker! This brings in the 'pop' stars, so Britney will see the hall soon mad.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

No matter how good a band is there's always going to be someone who don't like them. I heard people saying Hendrix wasn't that great and Jimmy Page is horribly sloppy. That's why we have like 2,000,000 bands out there because not everyone is going to like the same thing. Just laugh it off, people aren't going to get it, if they haven't yet then there's no hope for them.

You can read other articles of Rush critics and they will be praising Justin Timberlake or the White Stripes or someone you may think is a joke. It's also their job to get people talking about it.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 29 2004, 02:01 AM)

I think it's sad to say, but Rush fans fall into a couple catagories...

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Into geeky stuff like Star Trek & comic books

Don't have a big social life

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

There was a time (late 70's/early 80's) when it was hard to classify Rush. Sure they were rock, but back then "rock" brought up different thoughts/images than what you'd say Rush was.

What I did back then was to tell people Rush was "Intelligent Rock". For the most part that shut people up as they didn't want to say they were "stupid" by not liking them. wink.gif

-al

In all honesty this stems from the epic stuff of yesteryear. If the band had started in 1980 they'd never have gotten that rep.

It's not a totally unfair rep either...their epic stuff isn't for everyone and was perceived to be sci-fi-ish and out there.

It's still my least favorite stuff from the band.

QUOTE (BigAlH @ Jun 14 2006, 01:05 PM)
There was a time (late 70's/early 80's) when it was hard to classify Rush. Sure they were rock, but back then "rock" brought up different thoughts/images than what you'd say Rush was.

What I did back then was to tell people Rush was "Intelligent Rock". For the most part that shut people up as they didn't want to say they were "stupid" by not liking them. wink.gif

-al

I think most of us look like your avatar!

I think that's because they're D&D geeks.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 29 2004, 01:13 PM)
Rush never has been and never will be a critic's band. They are a fan's band and you either "get it" or you don't. Most critics don't. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

goodpost.gif absolutely snoweh... yes.gif

QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 01:57 PM)
What's with all these critics who give negative Rush reviews always referring Rush fans as "Dungeons and Dragons" geeks?  As far as I can tell the Rush fan base covers all kinds of folks from little kids to 60 year old grannies...from regular joes to lawyers and doctors....the mere mention of Dungeons and Dragons shows how stuck they are in the '80's and how moronic they are.  They wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it bit them in the ass!

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

hey! I only fit into maybe one or two of those categories, and I am certainly not a man over 30 !

z7shysterical.gif

Actually many fans do fall into a part of that but there are a bunch more

I play D&D from time to time, I played after I started listening to Rush & before I knew anything about the epics. They look like they would be alike but let's look at how of those same stereo-typical people listen to Iron Maiden? The people I know, love Maiden!

Mostly men above 30
Work with computers
Intelligent

or

into motorcycles
are rednecks
smoke a lot of pot

Funny you should say this. I fall into the former...and an old friend of mine who LOVES Rush religiously definitely is the latter. And while this is a generalization, there's also a lot of truth to it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 12:57 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

Hmm...I'm a 23 year old female librarian. I guess I am catagorized as "intelligent" (or brainy) and working with computers rofl3.gif

Actually, these catagories explain most people. If you're not intelligent and geeky, chances ARE you're a redneck who smokes a lot of pot, anyone get me? HAHA!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 14 2006, 03:28 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

Hmm...I'm a 23 year old female librarian. I guess I am catagorized as "intelligent" (or brainy) and working with computers rofl3.gif

Actually, these catagories explain most people. If you're not intelligent and geeky, chances ARE you're a redneck who smokes a lot of pot, anyone get me? HAHA!

............it was funny until the last few words.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 14 2006, 02:29 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

biggrin.gif

just joking

or

bolt.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 14 2006, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 14 2006, 02:29 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

biggrin.gif

just joking

or

bolt.gif

The perfect remark for the stupid person that cleverly tried to analyze what i said and in their dumness didnt realize that i was thinking about how awesome they were or stupid because i was ambiguous and contradictory.

I mean..................CARROTS!

Everytime a new rush album, record or disc comes out it get's bad reviews, it's insane.

And yet critics give emo bands like 10/10.

Makes me so sick.

Rush has many great things on each new album or dvd.

There is no reason for any bad reviews.

Archived