Critics

Test4VitalSigns

Everytime a new rush album, record or disc comes out it get's bad reviews, it's insane.

And yet critics give emo bands like 10/10.

Makes me so sick.

Rush has many great things on each new album or dvd.

There is no reason for any bad reviews.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 14 2006, 03:32 PM)
Wait, I'm allowed to play D&D right.

Cause, I do.

Yes Mr common001.gif . If that were the case, then both Der Trom & I are guilty as well yes.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 14 2006, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 29 2004, 02:01 AM)
What's with all these critics who give negative Rush reviews always referring Rush fans as "Dungeons and Dragons" geeks?  As far as I can tell the Rush fan base covers all kinds of folks from little kids to 60 year old grannies...from regular joes to lawyers and doctors....the mere mention of Dungeons and Dragons shows how stuck they are in the '80's and how moronic they are.  They wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it bit them in the ass!

I think it's sad to say, but Rush fans fall into a couple catagories...

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Into geeky stuff like Star Trek & comic books

Don't have a big social life

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

Hmm...I'm a 23 year old female librarian. I guess I am catagorized as "intelligent" (or brainy) and working with computers rofl3.gif

Actually, these catagories explain most people. If you're not intelligent and geeky, chances ARE you're a redneck who smokes a lot of pot, anyone get me? HAHA!

I don't fit in either one........... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 14 2006, 04:49 PM)
Rush fans are generally ugly, and take things too seriously.

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 12:57 PM)

Mostly men above 30
Work with computers
Intelligent

or

into motorcycles
are rednecks
smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

How is it that you've had 14 posts and you joined today and you're already digging up old threads? That's something old members do when they're bored out of their minds!!

This really bothers me too, the D&D thing that critics have. Same with the Ayn Rand references and the epic songs.

Let's see:

Only 2 or 3 songs in Rush's catalog (By-Tor, Rivendell, and Necromancer) could maybe be called D&D-themed, lyrically speaking.

The Ayn Rand thing was one album, 30 years ago.

Rush hasn't written a song longer than 7 minutes since 1981.

I don't usually get upset over what critics say, but they really need to get more up-to-date.

QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 01:57 PM)
What's with all these critics who give negative Rush reviews always referring Rush fans as "Dungeons and Dragons" geeks?  As far as I can tell the Rush fan base covers all kinds of folks from little kids to 60 year old grannies...from regular joes to lawyers and doctors....the mere mention of Dungeons and Dragons shows how stuck they are in the '80's and how moronic they are.  They wouldn't know rock 'n roll if it bit them in the ass!

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

I have never seen a redneck that was into Rush. How many of the people in the crowd on Rush in Rio appear to fall into these categories? Who doesn't work with computers these days? Are all these questions making me look like a stoned 39 year-old male who invented the computer while wearing Spock ears that drives a confederate flag-decorated motorcycle to my Mensa meetings? You caught me!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 14 2006, 09:12 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

I have never seen a redneck that was into Rush. How many of the people in the crowd on Rush in Rio appear to fall into these categories? Who doesn't work with computers these days? Are all these questions making me look like a stoned 39 year-old male who invented the computer while wearing Spock ears that drives a confederate flag-decorated motorcycle to my Mensa meetings? You caught me!

No it doesn't actually.

And i never saw any rednecks in RiR....

But most rush fans that i know are stoners....

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 15 2006, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 15 2006, 09:05 AM)
But most rush fans that i know are stoners....

It's true, the true beauty of Rush isn't unlocked without a little bit of cool10.gif

Not for me....I understood the music right away. I never cool10.gif until I met LSM. Even then, I use sparingly as it tends to do one of 2 things & schla03.gif is one of them....no sleeping pills for me!

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 15 2006, 08:12 PM)
i don't fit into any of those catergories.
yet i love the music and the band.
It's just what gets you into the band (In this case Rush)
And it looks like the critics don't like anything rush puts out.

did you ever watch a movie that the critics pan & you loved it? Happens to me all the time. That's probably why Rush makes sense to me.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 15 2006, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 15 2006, 08:12 PM)
i don't fit into any of those catergories.
yet i love the music and the band.
It's just what gets you into the band (In this case Rush)
And it looks like the critics don't like anything rush puts out.

did you ever watch a movie that the critics pan & you loved it? Happens to me all the time. That's probably why Rush makes sense to me.

No i have never ever seen it.

I have never seen a redneck that was into Rush.

Not to draw any correlations between rednecks and farm equipment, but since we're stereotyping here anyway....watch GUP. I'm fairly certain you can see people with John Deere or Caterpillar hats on.

QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (BigAlH @ Jun 14 2006, 01:05 PM)
There was a time (late 70's/early 80's) when it was hard to classify Rush.  Sure they were rock, but back then "rock" brought up different thoughts/images than what you'd say Rush was.

What I did back then was to tell people Rush was "Intelligent Rock".  For the most part that shut people up as they didn't want to say they were "stupid" by not liking them.  wink.gif

-al

I think most of us look like your avatar!

Hey!! I look like this: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/priest_of_syrinx/dillon7.jpg

That doesn't look like his avatar angry.gif

Lol, I am considered a nerd by some, though tongue.gif

QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 05:57 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

You're becoming like the critic of the original argument. tongue.gif

I'm none of what you have listed!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 16 2006, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (tellemfredoa @ Jun 14 2006, 05:57 PM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

You're becoming like the critic of the original argument. tongue.gif

I'm none of what you have listed!

I guess being a rush fan is a stereotype? confused13.gif

A stereotype being that you do drugs.

Drink.

Are old.

Or A Nerd.

Live with your parents

And play board games....

Anyone agree?

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

STEREOTYPES!

I use to be into DnD when I was 15 or 16.

I don't work with a computer ,you sound like John Tesh and his moronic advice radio show "Get out from the cubical and stretch your legs for 5 minutes"Not everyone works in a Dilbert world! I work in steel manufacturing good old fashion manual labor. (sucks but pays well.)

And that alone forms certain stereotypes some I embrace others off base. I do feel I'm reasonably intelligent with a variety of interest in music and the arts. I'm also proud of my heritage being a long standing member of the SCV. (Don't get me started on the Confederate battle flag )I hate the stereotypes of that! yes.gif I use to cool10.gif grew out of that. Still trink38.gif but mostly for taste (mostly) laugh.gif

I'm married so no I don't have much of a social life! And my wife does think I'm a geek. tongue.gif

IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN'T TYPECAST A 2.gif FAN.

WERE ALL OF THESE THINGS TO CERTAIN DEGREES.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 17 2006, 02:39 AM)

Mostly men above 30

Work with computers

Intelligent

or

into motorcycles

are rednecks

smoke a lot of pot

I prefer the geeky fans

STEREOTYPES!

I use to be into DnD when I was 15 or 16.

I don't work with a computer ,you sound like John Tesh and his moronic advice radio show "Get out from the cubical and stretch your legs for 5 minutes"Not everyone works in a Dilbert world! I work in steel manufacturing good old fashion manual labor. (sucks but pays well.)

And that alone forms certain stereotypes some I embrace others off base. I do feel I'm reasonably intelligent with a variety of interest in music and the arts. I'm also proud of my heritage being a long standing member of the SCV. (Don't get me started on the Confederate battle flag )I hate the stereotypes of that! yes.gif I use to cool10.gif grew out of that. Still trink38.gif but mostly for taste (mostly) laugh.gif

I'm married so no I don't have much of a social life! And my wife does think I'm a geek. tongue.gif

IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN'T TYPECAST A 2.gif FAN.

WERE ALL OF THESE THINGS TO CERTAIN DEGREES.

I'm so with you.

Rush is one huge stereotype.

And that's inside a stereotype.

And it just keeps going.

And i don't fit any of those stereotypes, yet i'm a rush fan.

Archived