What brand bass did geddy play on the moving pictu

dan2112

QUOTE (dan2112 @ Mar 21 2007, 04:41 AM)
2.gif ph34r.gif unsure.gif wub.gif

I presume you're asking what basses Geddy Lee used on Moving Pictures.

Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight, Witch Hunt & Vital Signs - Fender Jazz

Red Barchetta & The Camera Eye - Rickenbacker 4001

I always thought that YYZ sounded like the Rickenbacker. TS also seems a little more Ricky to me, especially when comparing to Limelight. Geddy now says the Limelight was the Rickenbacker, but to my ears he is misremembering (you know what I mean). Limelight to me has a very compressed Jazz sound and I'm sure that I read an interview once where he described this, but I can't find it right now to post it.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (dtrice @ Jul 15 2007, 10:11 PM)
I always thought that YYZ sounded like the Rickenbacker. TS also seems a little more Ricky to me, especially when comparing to Limelight. Geddy now says the Limelight was the Rickenbacker, but to my ears he is misremembering (you know what I mean). Limelight to me has a very compressed Jazz sound and I'm sure that I read an interview once where he described this, but I can't find it right now to post it.

In the video for limelight he uses the jazz bass

Yeah, I've seen it too. But I wanted to mention that Geddy himself has recently said it was the Rickenbacker. That's why I said I think he has forgotten. Geddy DID play a Rickenbacker on Limelight LIVE (you can see this on ESL DVD), so maybe he is just a little confused. But I still say Jazz on that song.

It was a Fender Jazz Bass that he found on a trip to a second hand store for the unbelievable price of $200. That bass gave him the same raunch he had with the Ricky but just a bit softer with more sustain. I believe he was still using Ampeg amps at this time, please correct me if I am wrong

QUOTE (dan2112 @ Mar 21 2007, 04:41 AM) 2.gif ph34r.gif unsure.gif wub.gif

Sorry dude but Red Barchetta is my favorite Rush song. That sound is the Fender Jazz to my ears not the Ricky. I may be wrong but Geddy found that Jazz for f**k all $200 in a second hand shop. Happy to be corrected but it sounds like the Fender to me, it has a softer tone and more sustain. No worries dude take care.

Sorry dude but Red Barchetta is my favorite Rush song. That sound is the Fender Jazz to my ears not the Ricky. I may be wrong but Geddy found that Jazz for f**k all $200 in a second hand shop. Happy to be corrected but it sounds like the Fender to me, it has a softer tone and more sustain. No worries dude take care.

Just in case you didn't realize, you're commenting on a zombie thread and a post that's almost 10 years old.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

There are few things more irritating than a Brit saying "dude"

• Like 1

it is more about the technique than the equipment. Geddy has such a wonderful and unique style and sound

Geddy got his Fender Jazz for a steal for $200 from a second hand store in 1980 just by chance.

He used that on most of MP. It has a slightly softer "less clanky" sound than the 4001 or 4002, but Geddy was still using Ampegs with his same settings of being slightly overdriven with compression, so to the untrained ear it did not sound that much difference. However the Jazz gave him a much "warmer" sound that fitted in perfectly with the direction the band were trying to achieve on MP.

Just my opinion dude

Take care

Steve

Yes I suppose an Englishman saying "dude" is rather irritating to you old chap. But American culture has filtered through to the UK for decades now !!!!

Ha ha

Tell you what ? OK? I promise that I will never say "dude" again if you chaps can learn to spell correctly and get the pronunciation of my car correct.

Jaguar - It is Jag yoo are and NOT Jag warrr. OK ?

Ha ha

Please take this in the best humour that is was intended :-)

Steve :-)

Yes I suppose an Englishman saying "dude" is rather irritating to you old chap. But American culture has filtered through to the UK for decades now !!!!

Ha ha

Tell you what ? OK? I promise that I will never say "dude" again if you chaps can learn to spell correctly and get the pronunciation of my car correct.

Jaguar - It is Jag yoo are and NOT Jag warrr. OK ?

Ha ha

Please take this in the best humour that is was intended :-)

Steve :-)

And "Si-TRONE", not "Si-tro-EN", right? Not to mention "Shed-jool" and "Aluminium"!