What happened to the edit feature

Pags

I'm the king of typing wrong words. I look back at previous posts and cringe sometimes.

Has the Edit feature been removed, or changed somehow? Recently I've gone to edit posts (even ones I've just added) and it tells me I can't.

Further, has it always been that you can only edit your most recent post?

Hmmm. Need to learn. unsure.gif confused13.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 1 2004, 10:53 AM)
I'm the king of typing wrong words. I look back at previous posts and cringe sometimes.

Has the Edit feature been removed, or changed somehow? Recently I've gone to edit posts (even ones I've just added) and it tells me I can't.

Further, has it always been that you can only edit your most recent post?

Hmmm. Need to learn. unsure.gif confused13.gif

I've been getting this too, so its not just you. ohmy.gif

First off, it is currently set to 2 minutes after you post that you can edit. The reason we did this is because two people who will remain nameless were going back and editing their posts in the politics area - to call people "f*cking assholes" just long enough for the other party to see it, then editing it so there was "no proof". Another person in Politics was editing their post after they were proven wrong to make it look like they didn't say what they said to begin with...

trying to come up with an alternate solution to this.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 1 2004, 08:17 AM)
First off, it is currently set to 2 minutes after you post that you can edit. The reason we did this is because two people who will remain nameless were going back and editing their posts in the politics area - to call people "f*cking assholes" just long enough for the other party to see it, then editing it so there was "no proof". Another person in Politics was editing their post after they were proven wrong to make it look like they didn't say what they said to begin with...

Make the politics thread like a court room? No tampering with the transcripts. Dont punish the rest of the board for it, we didnt do anything tongue.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 1 2004, 11:17 AM)

That sucks. Ruins it for everyone else. Can this be done in just the Politics Forum, or no?

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 1 2004, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 1 2004, 11:21 AM)
wasn't me.

It wasn't me either, I'm never wrong.

Musta been Moonraker, he's a troublemaker.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 1 2004, 11:28 AM)
wasn't me.

Ummm.... Actually I wasn't going to say anything on that Indi, but since you actually came here and say it wasn't you, I will say you are one who went back after arguments to change what you intially posted.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 1 2004, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 1 2004, 09:28 AM)
wasn't me.

Musta been Moonraker, he's a troublemaker.

Yeah. I always had that guy pegged as a bad seed. tongue.gif

dazed025.gif Moon

laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 1 2004, 09:30 AM)
wasn't me.

Ummm.... Actually I wasn't going to say anything on that Indi, but since you actually came here and say it wasn't you, I will say you are one who went back after arguments to change what you intially posted.

doh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 1 2004, 11:30 AM)
wasn't me.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif I'm SHOCKED!!

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Dec 1 2004, 11:30 AM)
Can you limit to edit feature to certain forums?

Elsewise, we're all going to have to go back to typing school. smile.gif

What if we increased it to 5 minutes? Or are we talking about posts made like the previous day?

wasn't me.

Then I would say that you are wrong, but what else is new. When I change something it's because of a typo, not because I was wrong about something. Nice try though.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 1 2004, 08:32 AM)

What if we increased it to 5 minutes? Or are we talking about posts made like the previous day?

5 minutes is probably enough. I usually notice mistakes in my posts right away & edit them then. If it's the next day enough people have alaredy read it & it's too late then. tongue.gif

Oh yeah, I apologize that the editing of all my posts in the political form to caused this to happen. cool.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 1 2004, 11:34 AM)
wasn't me.

Then I would say that you are wrong, but what else is new. When I change something it's because of a typo, not because I was wrong about something. Nice try though.

sarcasm.gif Right Indi, must be my mistake...

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 1 2004, 11:32 AM)

If someone uses the F word or whatever couldn't someone just hit report right away before it gets edited? If so I don't see the point of not letting anyone edit. If someone is wrong (which I'm never) then they fix it, then so what? At least they fixed it, is it so important for people to prove someone wrong all the time? If it's fixed then that's all that's important. Hell, I see you are wrong sometimes and you don't even bother changing it so that's even worse in my book.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 1 2004, 11:40 AM)

If someone uses the F word or whatever couldn't someone just hit report right away before it gets edited? If so I don't see the point of not letting anyone edit. If someone is wrong (which I'm never) then they fix it, then so what? At least they fixed it, is it so important for people to prove someone wrong all the time? If it's fixed then that's all that's important. Hell, I see you are wrong sometimes and you don't even bother changing it so that's even worse in my book.

You're not being sarcastic there are you?

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 1 2004, 12:02 PM)
Dunno if the software allows it, but the Van Halen board allows you to only edit your posts after 20 seconds. After that, too bad.

Yes it allows it - it is set to 2 minutes right now...

Whatcha think? Should we remove the no-edit after 2 minutes feature, extend the time period, or keep it?

Each has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Whenever someone quotes someone's post before they edit it - you can see what they said initially anyways... so there is your evidence. And if it's quoted that you flamed someone - you're gone (but then again, some people will go as far as editing the quotes of what that person said - wouldn't put it past them).

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 1 2004, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 1 2004, 11:40 AM)

You're not being sarcastic there are you?

No, I'm being serious. I don't see the advantage of having a no edit as long as theres a report button to report someone when they use the F word. If someone is wrong about something, then they change it, I don't see a problem with that either, it's not like we get points for proving someone wrong or anything, I do it almost daily.

Archived