The Case for MP3 format

barney_rebel

I definitely hear the difference. They sound really tinny to me, especially cymbals. But I have an ear like a dog. I never listen to them, I don't care how many songs I can fit on a disc.

I must admit that I do have some hearing problems - very high and very low frequencies tend to get lost into the background noise. I blame it on the years I spent as lighting engineer for a local band. The multicore for the lighting desk could only reach to just infront of the PA system

The problem depends on the resolution of the source, the converter and the bit depth/sample rate of the compression. The 128 bit compressed files can sound a little better, but on the whole there is too much artifacting happening in the upper frequencies (the tinny quality) to make the format listenable compared to PCM wave types (*.wav, *.aif). Plus, all bass frequencies are summed to mono, all but destroying the stereo image. I prefer *.wma compression over mp3 for compressed audio formats.

I use mp3 format in my car. As a cabbie, having 17 albums on one CD is a bonus. I have to say though, as I rip my own CDs the minimum format I will use is 160 kbps, the drop in quality at 128 kbps is too noticable.

For me they're really only good for portable players (cd or MP3) while using headphones. You don't notice the sound quality as the headphones don't reproduce sound that well to begin with. I always go with a "real" cd when I listen on any other equipment.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Dec 1 2004, 03:21 PM)
I use mp3 format in my car. As a cabbie, having 17 albums on one CD is a bonus. I have to say though, as I rip my own CDs the minimum format I will use is 160 kbps, the drop in quality at 128 kbps is too noticable.

I have the entire Rush Discography (minus live albums) on two MP3 CDs @ 192kbs.

Very convenient, and constant Rush tunes, and not have to worry about getting my original, store bought CDs stolen. If someone breaks in and steals these MP3 CDs, oh well.

While I understand the need of traders to preserve the quality of their product and I respect their requests, I also feel MP3's have their uses as far as portability and convenience. I mean, most of us do not have MASSIVE hard disc space. I can "sort of" hear a difference. But, like Slaine, I'm sure my hearing is not what it used to be, due to many concerts and advanced decrepitude, in my case. So, MP3's are ok for just listening to on anything other than a good home system.

It also seems to me that WMA files sound just a bit better IMO.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 1 2004, 08:29 PM)

Very convenient, and constant Rush tunes, and not have to worry about getting my original, store bought CDs stolen. If someone breaks in and steals these MP3 CDs, oh well.

Right. The drop in quality in the car is not too noticable anyway, because of the ambient noise, the fact that you're trying to drive a car without hitting anyone etc etc.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Dec 1 2004, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 1 2004, 08:29 PM)

Right. The drop in quality in the car is not too noticable anyway, because of the ambient noise, the fact that you're trying to drive a car without hitting anyone etc etc.

I thought that said "if you are hitting on anyone"..

ummm quiet Chas. wub.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 1 2004, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Dec 1 2004, 04:13 PM)

I thought that said "if you are hitting on anyone"..

ummm quiet Chas. wub.gif

rofl3.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif

There is a Huge difference between say .wav and mp3.

**The only thing mp3's are good for is online streaming audio**period!

**The only reason this format was invented was for the internet**period!

that's all tongue.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 1 2004, 05:35 PM)
I don't notice the difference. MP3s have always sounded fine to me.. But my hearing has never been that good...

What?

Earthshine.... rofl3.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 1 2004, 03:38 PM)
While I understand the need of traders to preserve the quality of their product and I respect their requests, I also feel MP3's have their uses as far as portability and convenience. I mean, most of us do not have MASSIVE hard disc space. I can "sort of" hear a difference. But, like Slaine, I'm sure my hearing is not what it used to be, due to many concerts and advanced decrepitude, in my case. So, MP3's are ok for just listening to on anything other than a good home system.

Well put BSG.

Does anyone remember the days of Dolby B noise reduction(and then of course Dolby C)?

I always bought a new LP, got it home, listened through it once, then commited it to tape (NO recorded equalization... "'EQ' it at playback, NOT while recording"... to preserve the albums original sound), and then I'd rat-hole the LP (another reason all my LP's are in such great shape!). When a tape got screwed up, I'd just make a new one. Ta-Da!

That's the way it is for me for .wav files and their like verses an .mp3 or .wma file.

I've got all my Rush music on the computer in an "H.Q." format like .wav, but then I use either mp3 or wma format for discs when I'm "out and about." It's the same thing it used to be with LP's and tapes. I don't see any difference. What's the bid deal??!! Yes, there is "missing" or "re-aligned" information through the compression process, but sonically there's not enough "loss" to out-weigh the advantage of not carrying 20+ CDs around with me. I carry just one! If I want sonically perfect, uncorrupted listening, I do it at home, or I bring that one CD with me. Otherwise, mp3 is good for me! Actually, I agree with BSG and also feel that WMA files sound better than mp3's, plus you get a considerable decrease in file sizes which equals more stuff on one CD than with mp3s. A win-win situation it seams to me!

One other note. Someone earlier said that in mp3 compression, all the bass frequencies are summed up into a mono track which all but destroys the stereo image. This my be, but sonically, low-end frequencies (in the 20-500Hz range) are non-directional, and hence are not directly effected by stereo imaging (that's why you can have just one single subwoofer, and place it anywhere and it sounds pretty much the same). It's the mids and high end that hold all the "stereo" qualities. Just an observation.

Hey BSG, advanced decrepitude??!! I LOVE IT rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Mind if I steel that one... it fits me to a tee!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 2 2004, 03:04 PM)

Does anyone remember the days of Dolby B noise reduction(and then of course Dolby C)?
I always bought a new LP, got it home, listened through it once, then commited it to tape (NO recorded equalization... "'EQ' it at playback, NOT while recording"... to preserve the albums original sound), and then I'd rat-hole the LP (another reason all my LP's are in such great shape!). When a tape got screwed up, I'd just make a new one. Ta-Da!

OMG. I used to do this exactly!!!

i use them for checking out music...if i want to find out what a new band or new music sounds like, it's nice to sample it before wasting hard-earned bucks on albums we don't want later on. If I like what I hear, I buy that performer's album. I can honestly say I've bought at least 20 cds that I otherwise wouldn't have bought . Also use them for making my own compilations...I like to listen to mixed tunes sometimes rather than listen to entire album by one band... great alternative to radio....choice to what music i want to check out and no COMMERCIALS...

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 2 2004, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Dec 1 2004, 03:38 PM)

Well put BSG.

That's the way it is for me for .wav files and their like verses an .mp3 or .wma file.

I've got all my Rush music on the computer in an "H.Q." format like .wav, but then I use either mp3 or wma format for discs when I'm "out and about." It's the same thing it used to be with LP's and tapes. I don't see any difference. What's the bid deal??!! Yes, there is "missing" or "re-aligned" information through the compression process, but sonically there's not enough "loss" to out-weigh the advantage of not carrying 20+ CDs around with me. I carry just one! If I want sonically perfect, uncorrupted listening, I do it at home, or I bring that one CD with me. Otherwise, mp3 is good for me! Actually, I agree with BSG and also feel that WMA files sound better than mp3's, plus you get a considerable decrease in file sizes which equals more stuff on one CD than with mp3s. A win-win situation it seams to me!

One other note. Someone earlier said that in mp3 compression, all the bass frequencies are summed up into a mono track which all but destroys the stereo image. This my be, but sonically, low-end frequencies (in the 20-500Hz range) are non-directional, and hence are not directly effected by stereo imaging (that's why you can have just one single subwoofer, and place it anywhere and it sounds pretty much the same). It's the mids and high end that hold all the "stereo" qualities. Just an observation.

Hey BSG, advanced decrepitude??!! I LOVE IT rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Mind if I steel that one... it fits me to a tee!! laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 3 2004, 03:00 AM)
i use them for checking out music...if i want to find out what a new band or new music sounds like, it's nice to sample it before wasting hard-earned bucks on albums we don't want later on. If I like what I hear, I buy that performer's album. I can honestly say I've bought at least 20 cds that I otherwise wouldn't have bought .

This is true...there are several bands I never would have bought the albums for if I hadn't heard some MP3's from "friends," etc.

I imagine if I had a decent stereo I would notice the sound quality degradation, but I don't so the MP3's serve me well.

I have the same haring issues, being a drummer for so many years. But I do notice a difference between mp3 and wma. Even though I rip my mp3's at 256kbps minimum, I still notice the high end tinniness (is that a word?) and the loss on the low end. Mp3 is good for what it's intended for. Portability and streaming.

I have some sweet computer speakers and that helps a lot. When I rip mp3 from CD's I always rip them to 320 (I think) instead of 128 because I'm not worried about the space on my huge hard drive (that sounded funny for some reason). I like to use winamp and have a few thousand mp3's on my playlist and just hit random. I never mess with putting Cd's in and out and scratching them up all the time.

I have a decent ear and although I know it doesn't sound as good as CD on my stereo, I think it's worth the difference because it's so convienent. It's fine for sitting around messing around on the computer and I hardly hear the same song twice in one week when I have it set on random because I have so many mp3.

The cymbals does sound tinny, I EQ everything pretty well but it's hard to fix the sound of the cymbals on a mp3.

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 8 2004, 03:01 AM)
I have some sweet computer speakers and that helps a lot. When I rip mp3 from CD's I always rip them to 320 (I think) instead of 128 because I'm not worried about the space on my huge hard drive (that sounded funny for some reason). I like to use winamp and have a few thousand mp3's on my playlist and just hit random. I never mess with putting Cd's in and out and scratching them up all the time.

I have a decent ear and although I know it doesn't sound as good as CD on my stereo, I think it's worth the difference because it's so convienent. It's fine for sitting around messing around on the computer and I hardly hear the same song twice in one week when I have it set on random because I have so many mp3.

The cymbals does sound tinny, I EQ everything pretty well but it's hard to fix the sound of the cymbals on a mp3.

What computer speakers do you hvae? I need some decent ones!

Archived