Best Live Album

barney_rebel

What is the best live album released by Rush?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best live album released by Rush?

• All the World's a Stage
    • Exit... Stage Left
    • A Show of Hands
    • Different Stages
    • Rush in Rio

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Nov 30 2004, 09:12 PM)
All the World's a Stage.....love the songs and the energy in this performance better than any other.

bsg.gif And I can't stand how they fade-out the songs on Exit...Stage Left. That ain't no way to present a live performance dagnabit dazed025.gif

I agree with this. trink39.gif

I voted for Different Stages, mostly because I think that the songs had a warmer feel to them in comparison to RIR. In comparison to the others.... all great albums - but Rush is a band that has improved with age. This fact shines through on their live recordings.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 30 2004, 09:20 PM)
I actually never owned or listened to ATWAS fully. As a matter of fact the first time I've ever heard it was just Something For Nothing, while drunk as hell in my friend's car during Rushcon. Oh and "What you are doing" from Chronicles.

dazed025.gif dazed025.gif Bad 2.gif fan....I command you to listen to this album 1022.gif

...the drunk as hell part of your story is OK though trink38.gif

All The Worlds a Stage with ESL a close 2nd. They both are masterpieces if you ask me. I have been listening to ESL a lot and Geddys voice at that time was right on the money.

A Show of Hands... excellent setlist and great playing there.

I have ESL on vinyl and Archives too (score!) I really like the ESL presentaion especially on vinyl, but I like the rawness of ATWAS. Different Stages is pretty good, particularly the 1978 performance at the Hammersmith. But I have to go with the RIO, because the crowd was unlike anything I've ever heard or seen. What energy, what loyalty, and my goodness, what an amazing concert! That DVD gets my vote, even though I like them all.

I'm going with my first and favorite, ASOH. What I liked about this live album was that it mainly focuses on where Rush were at that point in time. With ATWAS and ESL, that was fairly easy to do given the limited amount of material they had to play from, but by ASOH, they already had 12 albums under their belt. Despite that, they still managed to fit 11/14 songs from the previous 4 studio albums since their last live album, with only 2 from before that era and 1 being the drum solo. You didnt see that kind of dedication to thier past work being shown on Different Stages or RIR, but that was more due to the length of the shows on them and the want to let audiences hear back on thier older material.

Secondly, this album just has an amazing performance. Each member is spot on throughout the entire cd, offering very intricate yet subtle changes that make the live experience so much more enjoyable. Extra little bass bits here, some guitar effect tweaking, or guitars replacing keyboard backgrounds.

Thirdly, it was the first live album I bought. At the time I bought this album, I owned every Rush album before P/G besides the live albums, Caress of Steel and Fly By Night. At the time, I knew there was a world of Rush I hadnt yet heard, but wasnt totally sure if I would be into the keyboard heavy stuff in thier late 80's. So instead of spend my money on 3 cds I didnt know I would like, I spent it on 1 and got a best of, live album of that aspect of thier career. I must say, every track simply blew me away and I knew right then that I would HAVE to get these cds. Less then a month later, all were in my collection.

Anyway, ASOH was my pick.

I'm going to go with Hands.

I think it's been passed over as far as live Rush goes...yeah, the sound is sort of tinny - yes it does have that late 80's digital infancy way about it, but it's a nice live document of that short era of Rush's more electronic experimentation. The drum solo is good, the song selection is done very well - and the songs have more corners and different timings in than the rocking sound of Stage and Exit and doesn't have the "recorded off of FM radio sound" that D.S. has and has more feel than Rio.

But this is a hard choice. I consider them all great in their own way.

Different Stages, with the third disc proving the clincher. ATWAS is a close second, largely because after buying PeW and MP in '81, that was my "let's check out the back catalogue" purchase.

It worked!!. Totally agree with BSG about ESL. Live albums should come across as a single recording, even if they span several nights and venues. The ESL fadeouts on the applause were a bad decision in my book, the atmosphere dies after every track. (Apart from Broon's Bane/The Trees/Xanadu obviously).

What would be interesting would be to compare votes with ages.

This is such a tough one, because I like them all for different things.

ATWAS got my vote, only just over RiR. I have owned this on vinyl for about 25 years and because (virtually) all of 2112 is on it, it gets my vote.

I like ESL for Xanadu, although I do think this album is perhaps the 'worst' of the live albums.

I like RiR because of the atmosphere and the way they really enjoy playing the gig. There's a kind of extra feel to the songs.

I like ASOH for the songs on there from the eighties, like Subdivisions, Red Sector A, Territories, Turn the Page, Time Stand Still, and Witch Hunt.

Different Stages for Disc 3 biggrin.gif

I wub.gif them all.

I think Bytor and the Snowdog live on ATWAS is probably my alltime favorite live song from Rush. It has to mostly with that eerie guitar solo. Love it! 1022.gif

This was a tough decision.

ATWaS almost nailed it due to the raw, youthful energy with which the band play. However, to my mind, the performances in some parts can be a little too close to the studio originals as the debut had only been released two years previously and the band hadn't got to their playful stage yet.

ASoH also came close, largely for sentimental reasons. The bulk of the album was recorded at Birmuingham NEC on the HYF tour and I happened to be at two of the three nights. In addition, the older material featured had really begun to take on a life of its own, especially Closer to the Heart.

RiR was within a sniff of getting my vote. The sound may not be the best but the band play like they're posessed, obviously motivated and lifted by the most passonate, raucous, ready to rock audience I've ever heard.

ESL, I'm afraid, didn't get out of the starting post. I really don't like it due to the choppy nature and the overproduction. Yes, the performances are great but it sounds too much like a studio compilation with crowd noises added.

So, the winner was Different Stages which, to my mind, balances the best from all the others. You get a great selection of material, a fine production that keeps a raw edge that live albums should and, mainly due to disc 3, an energetic youtful performance.

Have to go with Different Stages...There's just something about that crowd and the way they sound performing...OH MY! It's incredible...personally, I feel much better than RiR

Different Stages for me too. This album is just a great compliation with great sound quality. ESL just sounds too "polished" like a "studio live" album. RiR is great but the sound quality can't touch DS! ATWAS is great for it's time but never my fav. I only listen to ASOH if I'm watching the video!

Another vote for different stages just marginally ahead of RIR 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Archived