Power Windows

rickyrob

I only have Power Windows on vinyl and I hadn't touch a vinyl album in years. I recently set up my turntable to play again and put Power Windows on. I'd forgotten how good this album is. Territories in particular sounds fab, esp Alex's screaming guitar....cool AlexFinal.gif 653.gif

Anybody else done this recently, not played anything for ages then put it on and wondered why it took so long to play again?

So true....my fave songs off the album are as follows...

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Territories

Personally...I like Mystic Rhythms, but I feel that with that strong drum beat at the beginning, I feel they could have made it better than it is...Also just like Lerxst says...Emotion Detector didn't come to be as he thought of it...I have to agree.

But the song on the album I have been really into lately is Grand Designs...Excellent tune. 653.gif 2.gif 653.gif

Power Windows is a funny album for me, I tend to blow hot and cold with it.

One time, I'll put it on and think its the best thing since dried bread and another I'll find it a little on the dull side. On the whole, I think the songs are great, as evidenced by their live performances, but the studio album seems, to me, to be a little cold and sterile.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 30 2004, 09:02 AM)
I only have Power Windows on vinyl and I hadn't touch a vinyl album in years. I recently set up my turntable to play again and put Power Windows on. I'd forgotten how good this album is. Territories in particular sounds fab, esp Alex's screaming guitar....cool AlexFinal.gif 653.gif

Anybody else done this recently, not played anything for ages then put it on and wondered why it took so long to play again?

I always keep a turntable connected. I used to be a DJ in a younger, former life. Anyway - there is nothing, NOTHING quite like the feeling of balancing a toner arm on your thumb, and gently lowering it down.... ever so slowly.... toward the black, grooved vinyl.

Then, just when the stylus is about to make contact, there is that fleeting excitement. awwww and then the stylus falls into the record groove you hear that slight yet powerful hum as it begins its journey from edge to center.

omg - I have to leave the room. I'll wash up when I'm done.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 03:20 PM)
I only have Power Windows on vinyl and I hadn't touch a vinyl album in years. I recently set up my turntable to play again and put Power Windows on. I'd forgotten how good this album is. Territories in particular sounds fab, esp Alex's screaming guitar....cool  AlexFinal.gif 653.gif

I always keep a turntable connected. I used to be a DJ in a younger, former life. Anyway - there is nothing, NOTHING quite like the feeling of balancing a toner arm on your thumb, and gently lowering it down.... ever so slowly.... toward the black, grooved vinyl.

Then, just when the stylus is about to make contact, there is that fleeting excitement. awwww and then the stylus falls into the record groove you hear that slight yet powerful hum as it begins its journey from edge to center.

Mmmmm, yeah, I got my husband a turntable for his birthday..... so good to hear the warm tones again...

cool.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Nov 30 2004, 02:29 PM)
I only have Power Windows on vinyl and I hadn't touch a vinyl album in years. I recently set up my turntable to play again and put Power Windows on. I'd forgotten how good this album is. Territories in particular sounds fab, esp Alex's screaming guitar....cool  AlexFinal.gif 653.gif

Mmmmm, yeah, I got my husband a turntable for his birthday..... so good to hear the warm tones again...

cool.gif

Nothing quite like it. yes.gif The age of music with no moving parts can't top what you get from the grooves. wink.gif

'cept the skipping when I dance....

common001.gif

(need a girl dancing icon...Banana's just aren't accurate, and I'm not much like a chicken!)

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Nov 30 2004, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 30 2004, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Nov 30 2004, 02:29 PM)

cool.gif

Nothing quite like it. yes.gif The age of music with no moving parts can't top what you get from the grooves. wink.gif

'cept the skipping when I dance....

common001.gif

(need a girl dancing icon...Banana's just aren't accurate, and I'm not much like a chicken!)

cheer.gif This doesn't quite nail it either, does it.

Nah....

wink.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 30 2004, 02:07 PM)

One time, I'll put it on and think its the best thing since dried bread and another I'll find it a little on the dull side. On the whole, I think the songs are great, as evidenced by their live performances, but the studio album seems, to me, to be a little cold and sterile.

i agree, it took me a long time to get into this album, but now i like it, especially middletown dreams and manhattan project, mystic rhythms takes on a much stronger dynamic live, was very happy to hear it during the r30 show and found myself getting into it as much as spirit or tom sawyer or any other classic 1287.gif

I like Power windows. Grand designs is a cool tune and I also like Middletown Dreams a lot, the rest of the album is great in my opinion.

I never got around to buying Power Windows. When I read the track listings, there were never any ones that really jumped out at me that said I had to get this album. I am going to save up and get it though after hearing how many people really like it. My favorite song on the album is Manhattan Project. One of my all time favorites. I wish they would bring it back for a setlist. I would love to hear it played live. 1022.gif

Great album. Big Money is one of the first Rush songs I ever heard so it holds special meanings to me...my favourite songs are the 4 in the middle: Manhattan Project, Marathon, Territories, and Middletown Dreams. Mystic Rhythms is good but I don't think it translates very well live and I wish they'd play one of the 4 I mentioned above instead. The only songs I skip are Grand Designs and Emotion Detector...those 2 just don't do it for me.

Power Windows came out just as I was becoming a really huge 2.gif fan, and therefore was one of the first albums that I really listened to over and over. This has made it a favorite, and I love every single song on the album. Also, the Power Windows tour was my first (and only) front row 2.gif experience, and this is forever burned into my memory.

Great album 1022.gif

One time, I'll put it on and think its the best thing since dried bread and another I'll find it a little on the dull side.  On the whole, I think the songs are great, as evidenced by their live performances, but the studio album seems, to me, to be a little cold and sterile.

Exactly how I feel about it. When I first bought this album the day it was released, all I heard was too many keyboards, not enough guitars, some electronic drums and way too much 4/4 time. They sounded, well, kind of like an '80s band! Of course they rocked harder than say, Kajagoogoo, but the influence of the '80s music scene on the boys was pretty evident. "The Big Money" and "Grand Designs" was the only songs that hit me right away. I liked parts of the other songs, but that's it. My initial reaction to the album: Disappointed!

I like it better now. "Marathon" (especially the instrumental break), "Middletown Dreams" and "Emotion Detector" (with an absolutely gut-wrenching solo by Alex) are favorites now. But it's still one of the few Rush albums that I can't pop in at any given time. I have to be in the mood for it.

Power Windows was the album that started Rush's cold and sterile phase -- a period that continued with Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones. Tons of keyboards and samples, Alex's thin, brittle guitar, Geddy's clicky-sounding bass and Neil's tinny drums. Certainly the boys played well (Alex recorded some of his best solos during this time) and came up with some great music, but those albums sounded thin. (How much better did "Big Money," "Force Ten," "The Pass" and "Dreamline" sound during the last two tours with their now beefed-up sound? How great would a song like "Superconductor" sound live now?) Counterparts saw the return of the Rush as a heavy sounding rock band, and they've only gotten heavier...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 1 2004, 02:03 AM)

One time, I'll put it on and think its the best thing since dried bread and another I'll find it a little on the dull side.  On the whole, I think the songs are great, as evidenced by their live performances, but the studio album seems, to me, to be a little cold and sterile.

Exactly how I feel about it. When I first bought this album the day it was released, all I heard was too many keyboards, not enough guitars, some electronic drums and way too much 4/4 time. They sounded, well, kind of like an '80s band! Of course they rocked harder than say, Kajagoogoo, but the influence of the '80s music scene on the boys was pretty evident. "The Big Money" and "Grand Designs" was the only songs that hit me right away. I liked parts of the other songs, but that's it. My initial reaction to the album: Disappointed!

I like it better now. "Marathon" (especially the instrumental break), "Middletown Dreams" and "Emotion Detector" (with an absolutely gut-wrenching solo by Alex) are favorites now. But it's still one of the few Rush albums that I can't pop in at any given time. I have to be in the mood for it.

Power Windows was the album that started Rush's cold and sterile phase -- a period that continued with Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones. Tons of keyboards and samples, Alex's thin, brittle guitar, Geddy's clicky-sounding bass and Neil's tinny drums. Certainly the boys played well (Alex recorded some of his best solos during this time) and came up with some great music, but those albums sounded thin. (How much better did "Big Money," "Force Ten," "The Pass" and "Dreamline" sound during the last two tours with their now beefed-up sound? How great would a song like "Superconductor" sound live now?) Counterparts saw the return of the Rush as a heavy sounding rock band, and they've only gotten heavier...

I thought this about 'Hold Your Fire', not so much about 'Power Windows' though.

Archived