Happy Anniversary to me!

Noisy Bastard

old.gif Thirty years ago tonight -- my first Rush concert!

The first time I saw Rush was in Cincinnati. They weren't even the headline act! Starcastle opened up first, then Rush played, and lastly Boston. Boston only had one album out at the time. (Boston played EVERY song from that album. About an hour at best, maybe only 45 minutes.) Rush played for right at an hour, IIRC. This was the ATWAS Tour, so they had four studio albums to pull material from.

That was the one and only time I ever saw Rush where they were not the headliner. Starcastle and Boston were decent, but my friends and I went purposely to see Rush. We were already ardent fans at that point, and we were very excited to finally see them! Very shortly after that (April 9, 1977 in Dayton, Ohio), we saw them again where Rush headlined (w/ special guest Rick Derringer).

These two dates were only the second and third time Rush had ever played in southwest Ohio (according to the Rush Tour Archive). The only other time they played around here prior to that was 8/16/74 in Cincinnati (which was Neil's third live gig in Rush, BTW! Debut album tour!). In '74 I was pretty young and possibly, probably, I had not even heard of Rush then. So I feel pretty good about catching them almost as early as possible in my area.

I've seen every tour since ATWAS, at least once, for a total of 42 times (not the record here by any means, I'm sure. notworthy.gif ). I am greatly looking forward to Snakes And Arrows and the next tour! 2.gif

Archived