The Macallan

HAZMAT001

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2800/a04d0/products/7698/images/8156/pendleton-blended-canadian-whisky__47317.1351428599.380.500.jpg?c=2

This is an amazing Canadian rye whiskey. Nectar.

• Like 2

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2800/a04d0/products/7698/images/8156/pendleton-blended-canadian-whisky__47317.1351428599.380.500.jpg?c=2

This is an amazing Canadian rye whiskey. Nectar.

It really is. Seemed expensive until DoL and I tried it. It was well worth it.

The Macallan 12 we bought during the same trip, not quite as bang-for-your-buck.

• Like 2

I've just purchased a bottle of 12 year old Macallan. The only scotch I've had before was I think Glenlivet, which I liked. However, before I open this I would like opinions on the best way to enjoy it:

- what kind of glass - low and wide?

- straight or with a splash?

- any other tips for getting the best experience?

Yep, toymaker, low and wide. I like mine on the rocks, but I'm kind of a hick, so there's that.

I've tried 3 varieties since my girlfriend sagely surprised me with a bottle for my birthday last year. 12 yr - $65, 12 yr double cask - $62, fine oak 18 Yr triple cask - $350.

I've always been a bourbon guy and was never impressed with my parents' Cutty Sark Scotch, even though I raided it often for recreational purposes as a teen. The Macallan, though, is a whole different creature - so smooth and complex. The great flavor and body plus my devouring of The Professor's bibliography made me a fan.

The best of the three? I preferred the lowly $62 12y double hands down. That's great news, 'cuz I ain't never payin' three digits for a 750ml (or, really 1.5L either - screw that!) bottle of hooch again.

• Like 2

I've just purchased a bottle of 12 year old Macallan. The only scotch I've had before was I think Glenlivet, which I liked. However, before I open this I would like opinions on the best way to enjoy it:

Straight, no ice, with a splash of good quality spring water. Don't use tap water -- you want to avoid chlorine or sulphur. How much of a splash is up to you. Experiment. As for the glass, low and wide.

You already kinda knew which way to go based on your questions, so there you go.

I currently have a bottle of The Macallan 15-year Fine Oak. Had it for years, and am taking my time with it. It's almost gone. ;)

• Like 1

Straight, no ice, with a splash of good quality spring water. Don't use tap water -- you want to avoid chlorine or sulphur. How much of a splash is up to you. Experiment. As for the glass, low and wide.

You already kinda knew which way to go based on your questions, so there you go.

I currently have a bottle of The Macallan 15-year Fine Oak. Had it for years, and am taking my time with it. It's almost gone. ;)

And go easy on the splash. And taste it BEFORE you "splash". If you do splash to open it up, seriously just a few drops...

I prefer this kind of glass (shape, size) to sip whiskey:

29980_1.jpg

• Like 2

Haven't shared for a while in this thread, I had the opportunity at a grand wonderful Burn's Dinner (https://en.wikipedia...ki/Burns_supper) to try this spectacular scotch:

136173-big.jpg

It was extremely good, and had with some haggis and other treats.

We also had this:

173861-big.jpg

and naturally its a different animal but was even better.

Lifelong highlight of an evening

These are not anything I would ever buy, but it was nice to have a chance at a special event to taste such treats!

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

Yep, toymaker, low and wide. I like mine on the rocks, but I'm kind of a hick, so there's that.

The best of the three? I preferred the lowly $62 12y double hands down. That's great news, 'cuz I ain't never payin' three digits for a 750ml (or, really 1.5L either - screw that!) bottle of hooch again.

So that means the 25 year @ $2,300 is out of the question,amirite?

Haven't shared for a while in this thread, I had the opportunity at a grand wonderful Burn's Dinner (https://en.wikipedia...ki/Burns_supper) to try this spectacular scotch:

136173-big.jpg

It was extremely good, and had with some haggis and other treats.

We also had this:

173861-big.jpg

and naturally its a different animal but was even better.

Lifelong highlight of an evening

These are not anything I would ever buy, but it was nice to have a chance at a special event to taste such treats!

I recognize the top one (will not pretend to pronounce it properly), the aged 30 years one because I recently visited with a friend and shared the Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

It honestly was one of the best sips of scotch whisky, ever. And the next couple sips were also as delicious!

Maybe it had been uncorked and open long enough to breath for a few days prior, or it was the celebration (my friend had just ended a long trial and judged not guilty), but very, very nice.

A very, very nice sipping scotch.

The Macallan 1926:  The world’s “most sought-after Scotch whisky” sold for more than £2.1 million ($2.7 million) Saturday at Sotheby’s in London.

The Macallan 1926 is one of just 40 bottles drawn after ageing in sherry casks for 60 years, making it the oldest Macallan vintage ever produced, according to the auction house.

Sotheby’s had expected it to raise between £750,000 and £1.2 million ($934,274 and $1.4 million), but were in for a shock when the prized bottle fetched a whooping £2,187,500 ($2,724,967), making it a “new record for any bottle of spirit or wine sold at auction,” the auction house told AFP news agency.

aIf9cVX.jpg

On 11/20/2023 at 11:17 AM, Principled Man said:

The Macallan 1926:  The world’s “most sought-after Scotch whisky” sold for more than £2.1 million ($2.7 million) Saturday at Sotheby’s in London.

The Macallan 1926 is one of just 40 bottles drawn after ageing in sherry casks for 60 years, making it the oldest Macallan vintage ever produced, according to the auction house.

Sotheby’s had expected it to raise between £750,000 and £1.2 million ($934,274 and $1.4 million), but were in for a shock when the prized bottle fetched a whooping £2,187,500 ($2,724,967), making it a “new record for any bottle of spirit or wine sold at auction,” the auction house told AFP news agency.

aIf9cVX.jpg

The sad part is it will probably not be consumed as that would diminish the likelihood of an increase in price the next time it goes to auction. Gazillionaires and their money. :facepalm: