The Macallan

HAZMAT001

Islay's has more flavor. Close your eyes and smells like a campfire.

The Peat gives it a smokey flavor. The Macallan is more like a blended scotch.

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite.

• Like 4

Islay's has more flavor. Close your eyes and smells like a campfire.

The Peat gives it a smokey flavor. The Macallan is more like a blended scotch.

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite.

I am all about the Islays!
  • Like 4

I'm beginning my adventure into this new world (well, new to me). :)

So far, I've tried, The Macallan 12, The Glenmorangie 10, The Belvanie 12. I'm finding I'm partial to Aberlour 12 ... very tasty.

http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Aberlour/aberlour_02.jpg

• Like 4

Scotch fanatic checking in.

CygnusGal, you've tasted some quality single-malts there! You might find some of the articles at scotchnoob.com to be of value. Or scotchhobbyist.com.

Eventually, you're going to have to explore the wonderful world of Islay (EYE-luh) scotches. These are the ones that are often described as smoky and peaty, and are sometimes compared to bandaids, iodine, campfires, and formaldehyde :D

Islays to look for: Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig.

• Like 1

CygnusGal, you've tasted some quality single-malts there! You might find some of the articles at scotchnoob.com to be of value. Or scotchhobbyist.com.

Eventually, you're going to have to explore the wonderful world of Islay (EYE-luh) scotches. These are the ones that are often described as smoky and peaty, and are sometimes compared to bandaids, iodine, campfires, and formaldehyde :D

Laphroig is magnificent!
  • Like 2

So far, I've tried, The Macallan 12, The Glenmorangie 10, The Belvanie 12. I'm finding I'm partial to Aberlour 12 ... very tasty.

http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Aberlour/aberlour_02.jpg

A lady that's into scotch? Now that's sexy!!!
  • Like 2

:blush:

At keyboard - can type now...

Yeah, it mixes really well with Sprite. ;)

That's a joke. Neat. Only neat. A water back is acceptable, preferably spring water, but the mouth is not a mixing bowl. I work with a fellow has been very helpful with my edumacation.

I had a friend who asked for a splash of water in her Aberlour. I said no. She asked for a water back and then put a capful in the Aberlour! :o

She gets Chivas next visit.

Thanks, Chronos. So, something in a monkey blood would be great, then. :D It couldn't be any stranger than Moxie Cola (which tastes like carbonated Listerine - did you guys put *any* sugar in this stuff???) and people seem to like that for some reason.

So they get smoother with age, right? I've looked at some of the 15s or 17s. Would I notice a big difference from say, a Macallan 12 to a Macallan 15? I think they have a Macallan 17 (but maybe it's a 15) at the store and the price differential is substantial.

It is a far more complex and interesting spirit than I ever realized. :eh:

I didn't know it was so beautiful... I didn't know...

At keyboard - can type now...

Yeah, it mixes really well with Sprite. ;)

That's a joke. Neat. Only neat. A water back is acceptable, preferably spring water, but the mouth is not a mixing bowl. I work with a fellow has been very helpful with my edumacation.

I had a friend who asked for a splash of water in her Aberlour. I said no. She asked for a water back and then put a capful in the Aberlour! :o

She gets Chivas next visit.

:LOL:

Looking for a brew as a shot - in - the - dark gift.. now, seeing as i seldom drink the stuff and with myriad choices out there could someone recommend something for the more discerning piss - head palette ?

Thanks, Chronos. So, something in a monkey blood would be great, then. :D It couldn't be any stranger than Moxie Cola (which tastes like carbonated Listerine - did you guys put *any* sugar in this stuff???) and people seem to like that for some reason.

So they get smoother with age, right? I've looked at some of the 15s or 17s. Would I notice a big difference from say, a Macallan 12 to a Macallan 15? I think they have a Macallan 17 (but maybe it's a 15) at the store and the price differential is substantial.

I notice a difference between the Maccallan 12 and the 15. The 15 is the youngest Mac I would drink. Yes the price drop is significant but you get what you pay for.

My go to single malt is the Laphroaig 10. Definitely medicinal but I'll take my medicine straight. MamaD likes it to. I've tried the 15 yr but it is ok the small batch double distilled 15 is amazing. I really like the caol Ila 15 and the Lagavulin 16 higher up the price range.

One of these days I will purchase a fifth of the Balvenie Islay cask 18 for about $100.

Did you know that the biggest importer of used whiskey barrels to Scotland is Jack Daniels?? If you are drinking scotch you are probably drinking it out of barrels that made rye whiskey from Kentucky. Interesting huh.

• Like 1

Drank too much of The Macallan over the weekend! But it was good!
  • Like 1

I notice a difference between the Maccallan 12 and the 15. The 15 is the youngest Mac I would drink. Yes the price drop is significant but you get what you pay for.

My go to single malt is the Laphroaig 10. Definitely medicinal but I'll take my medicine straight. MamaD likes it to. I've tried the 15 yr but it is ok the small batch double distilled 15 is amazing. I really like the caol Ila 15 and the Lagavulin 16 higher up the price range.

One of these days I will purchase a fifth of the Balvenie Islay cask 18 for about $100.

Did you know that the biggest importer of used whiskey barrels to Scotland is Jack Daniels?? If you are drinking scotch you are probably drinking it out of barrels that made rye whiskey from Kentucky. Interesting huh.

:drool: for the Laphroaig 10.
  • Like 1

:drool: for the Laphroaig 10.

Sooo good.

Never really cared for the Macallan, I find it a bit sickly and syrupy to my taste.

I live fairly close to quite a few of the Speyside distilleries, but my personal preference is for the Islays, in particular Talisker, but also like Laphroaig and Lagavullin.

• Like 1

Never really cared for the Macallan, I find it a bit sickly and syrupy to my taste.

I live fairly close to quite a few of the Speyside distilleries, but my personal preference is for the Islays, in particular Talisker, but also like Laphroaig and Lagavullin.

I am by no means an expert on Scotch and I've not tried many, but I remember Laphroaig making a strong impression on me when I tried it several years ago.

I have a bottle of The Macallan 15-Year Fine Oak here, a gift from someone, and it's quite good.

I am by no means an expert on Scotch and I've not tried many, but I remember Laphroaig making a strong impression on me when I tried it several years ago.

I have a bottle of The Macallan 15-Year Fine Oak here, a gift from someone, and it's quite good.

Gosh, haven't been in here in a while.

Yes, I'm still all about the Islays. On a side note, we stayed near Pitlochry last year, so I took the tour of the Edradour distillery. My tenth Scottish distillery tour. Fascinating, the smallest distillery, but fabulous. It's 10yr old is worth checking out.

They have a barrel, the spirit in it is 25 yrs old, thanks to the angel's share there's about a third of it left, but the master taster thinks it's not ready for bottling. They keep it nearest the exit in case of a fire!!!!

Value? £250k.

FWIW, the Irish whiskey industry has exploded. Some real gems too.

• Like 2