The Macallan

HAZMAT001

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Sep 6 2008, 05:43 PM)
I saw a bottle of the 10 Year Macallan at my local liquor store for $37.99...

I'd definitley have to get a JOB to buy that, and yet is it really worth it??

Its good but I prefer the 12 yr.

There are blends that taste close and are much cheaper. I buy the 12 yr Macallen sometimes but usually I drink Chivas 12 yr and Famous Grouse 12 yr which are both great blends. Macallen is good stuff and worth it if you can afford it.

I had a good weekend: Macallan 18 yrs and a Cuban cigar. It was quite delicious and I think I may join this club. Actually, it's a friend's place, and he also have different single malt scotch. It'll cost me $25 a month and I get a sniffer or swifter (them big glass) of scotch and a cigar. I'm new at this. Is this a good deal?

QUOTE (Asian Rush Fan @ Sep 8 2008, 10:23 AM)
I had a good weekend: Macallan 18 yrs and a Cuban cigar. It was quite delicious and I think I may join this club. Actually, it's a friend's place, and he also have different single malt scotch. It'll cost me $25 a month and I get a sniffer or swifter (them big glass) of scotch and a cigar. I'm new at this. Is this a good deal?

For a Cuban and a single malt of that caliber I would say $25 sounds reasonable, depending on where you live. Here in the states you can't buy a Cuban and a glass of any good 18 yr single malt costs around $14 so I would say go for it if you have the extra $25 to spend.

Went to a very expensive restaurant for our wedding anniversary recently, and I couldn't resist ordering a glass of The Macallan 12-year from the menu. I'm not much of a scotch drinker ("it's an acquired taste," but I don't understand how anyone acquires it), but hey... I'm a Neil fan. trink38.gif

I would disagree. The Macallan 18 yr. 1987 vintage is superior. I found the 1988 and 1989 to really suck though. Let's hope the 1990 is good? Opinions?

The 25th Silver Anniversary was above average. Certain 12yr Macallans are acceptable. Fine Oak ones are dog-urine of an experiment.

Cask-Strength is decent if you dilute it with a splash of water.

QUOTE (Gov @ Sep 22 2008, 02:06 AM)
The Macallan is NOT a scotch to drink if your new to whisky.

Which is funny.

The Macallan 12 was my very 1st single malt.

I was blown away.

Complex, warm, a fantastic long finish... I had little expectation and was happily thrilled.

Nine years into my 'hobby', and it's still a hard 12 to beat.

In fact, the only 12 I've ever met that has surpassed it is the Glenfarclas 12 - my current favorite 'daily driver'.

I used to think that it might've been better to have started with something a little less distinctive (like a Glenlivet 12) - but, perhaps I would not have been as captivated... The Macallan is so damn good, I'm happy to have started there - but it set the bar quite high.

[by the way - I think it bears saying that I came to Scotch in my 30's - I'm sure one could develop a taste for it earlier, but I've asked friends and family members I know who drink Scotch, and 33 seems to be the average age when all of us started 'investigating' the single malts]

QUOTE (mikecronis @ Oct 20 2008, 11:29 AM)
Fine Oak ones are dog-urine of an experiment.

I consider my palate quite sophisticated, MC - I find the Fine Oak 10 to be a welcome and unique take on Scotch.

It reminds me of the Compass Box Asyla (which is a - 'horror' - blended grain and malt whisky) - it's also an almost impossibly light and 'refreshing' Scotch. I like them both.

I find them perfect for drinking with light appetizers, meals or all by themselves. Three glasses won't throw you to the floor or send you off to sleep.

Now.

When I'm in the mood to savor a single dram by the firepit outside or an inspirational 2am glass in the recording studio, I won't reach for the Fine Oak - granted.

That I have collected a Scotch for every occasion and guest (from the advanced Scotch aficionado to the 'got any Cutty, dude?') is fun.

And delicious.

I never run out of Scotch to drink, no matter what my mood!

An incomplete trip through my cabinet:

Glenfarclas 17

Glenfiddich 18 Ancient Reserve

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Macallan Fine Oak 10

Macallan 18

Macallan Cask Strength

Talisker 175th Anniversary

Talisker 1992 Distiller's Edition

Talisker 18

Love The Macallan...Have tried just about everything they have to offer and have come to the conclusion that their best and my favorite of any brand is...... The MaCallan 10 year old cask strenght.

It is not an easy find. From what I can tell it might actually be a duty free exclusive item. I recently bought a bottle at duty free in south africa. $100 but worth every cent.

My Hubby likes the "water of life" and is a bit of a connoisseur. His favorite is Tullamore Dew.

But, after reading Neil's books, I decided to get him a bottle of The Macallan to see what he thought. I could only afford the 10 yr. vintage (hey, it's a recession!) but he found it quite tasty. I tried it myself and like it. Since I'm not much of a whisky fan, that's odd. I have tried Highland singles before and wasn't blown away. But The Macallan changed that. I can't drink much at a time (yeah, I'm a lightweight) but do enjoy an occasional 2-finger glass.

Even got some of those whisky stones for keeping it cold.

Thanks, Professor! I think? unsure.gif

I once necked a shot of 25yr old. Then put lemonade in the 2nd... then these 2 Scottish elderly folk that bought them for me yelled at me to get out the bar sad.gif Then I came back in and they taught me how to do it properly.

QUOTE (HorsemanOfTheApocalypse @ May 30 2011, 01:48 PM)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Macallan, far from it in fact, but as long as the mighty Islays exist then I'm unlikely to switch my allegiance.

I concur, wholeheartedly.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 13 2011, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (Shirley @ Feb 25 2011, 05:58 PM)
I once necked a shot of 25yr old. Then put lemonade in the 2nd...

Oh sweet Jesus, Mary & Joseph.

I thought that line needed a picture to go with it....

http://m1.mattters.com/youtube/f0U_09XcJRI/large.jpg

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 21 2012, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 13 2011, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (Shirley @ Feb 25 2011, 05:58 PM)
I once necked a shot of 25yr old. Then put lemonade in the 2nd...

Oh sweet Jesus, Mary & Joseph.

I thought that line needed a picture to go with it....

http://m1.mattters.com/youtube/f0U_09XcJRI/large.jpg

HAHA! Perfect!