THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

daveyt

So, if Brady wanted them as a certain PSI... because it obviously makes such a big difference... why the great variation? If they thought 10.5 was best, why would they all not have been there?

The disconnect you're having is that the people who still believe this is a story can't decide if they're outraged because a) the deflation of the balls made a material difference in the play on the field, or b) rules are rules, and if you break them you deserve to punished. When they claim a, they stumble over why the refs didn't notice the balls were deflated. When they claim b, they stumble over what to do about Rodgers.

So I'll be less cryptic. They hate the Patriots. They need something to take away from the fact that Brady and Belichick just picked up their 4th ring. They don't care what it is, as long as it allows them to suggest that the Patriots' victory last week has an asterisk after it.

I stumble over neither. The refs not doing their job doesn't make the cheating any less significant. The fact is that Brady thinks it's an advantage (and has said so), and it's entirely obvious as to why And until you have evidence that Rodgers tampered with balls post inspection, I don't have to "do anything about Rodgers".

And, hell, while I'm at it, I admit I hate the Patriots, I've never hidden that. And Roger Clemens. Neither of those feelings changes a single fact about the story. Unfortunately for you, your worship at the altar of Mr. Kraft doesn't either.

Dude,

The refs.not doing their job? :laughing guy: So what is the point of it all? Also, has it been proven they cheated?

The refs didn't do their job. If they did, the balls measured at halftime would be within the guidelines.

So what is your point?

That the refs didn't do their job correctly, apparently. Allowing one team to gain a competitive advantage by cheating. Those interested in fair play and an even playing field should care about these things.

So the inmates are running the prison?

Is Brady or any other player the Warden?

So players should try to get every advantage they can, whether or not it's within the rules?

You must be joking. Why even have f***ing rules in the first place?

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

So, if Brady wanted them as a certain PSI... because it obviously makes such a big difference... why the great variation? If they thought 10.5 was best, why would they all not have been there?

The disconnect you're having is that the people who still believe this is a story can't decide if they're outraged because a) the deflation of the balls made a material difference in the play on the field, or b) rules are rules, and if you break them you deserve to punished. When they claim a, they stumble over why the refs didn't notice the balls were deflated. When they claim b, they stumble over what to do about Rodgers.

So I'll be less cryptic. They hate the Patriots. They need something to take away from the fact that Brady and Belichick just picked up their 4th ring. They don't care what it is, as long as it allows them to suggest that the Patriots' victory last week has an asterisk after it.

I stumble over neither. The refs not doing their job doesn't make the cheating any less significant. The fact is that Brady thinks it's an advantage (and has said so), and it's entirely obvious as to why And until you have evidence that Rodgers tampered with balls post inspection, I don't have to "do anything about Rodgers".

And, hell, while I'm at it, I admit I hate the Patriots, I've never hidden that. And Roger Clemens. Neither of those feelings changes a single fact about the story. Unfortunately for you, your worship at the altar of Mr. Kraft doesn't either.

Dude,

The refs.not doing their job? :laughing guy: So what is the point of it all? Also, has it been proven they cheated?

The refs didn't do their job. If they did, the balls measured at halftime would be within the guidelines.

So what is your point?

That the refs didn't do their job correctly, apparently. Allowing one team to gain a competitive advantage by cheating. Those interested in fair play and an even playing field should care about these things.

So players should try to get every advantage they can, whether or not it's within the rules?

Joking?

No, its simple. The league makes the rules. If they cannot enforce them then blame them not the teams that try to get around them.

Dude,

So what is your point?

Joking?

No, its simple. The league makes the rules. If they cannot enforce them then blame them not the teams that try to get around them.

So if a student plagarizes a paper for which he/she gets an A and doesn't get caught, he or she deserves the A, because it's the teacher's fault he/she didn't catch the student's plagarism?

• Like 1

This is getting truly silly. No one is convincing anyone of anything so I'm out of this discussion Whoever said this was an endless circle was right. I'll let you celebrate your "victory" in peace I'm off to do my kid's homework. Be proud...

Dude,

So what is your point?

Joking?

So if a student plagarizes a paper for which he/she gets an A and doesn't get caught, he or she deserves the A, because it's the teacher's fault he/she didn't catch the student's plagarism?

:facepalm:

First of all,

Did the Patriots get caught cheating? Second, if the school doesn't catch the student who is at fault? Sure, the student is cheating himself but the league and or school is to blame. Thats what rules are in place for.

This is getting truly silly. No one is convincing anyone of anything so I'm out of this discussion Whoever said this was an endless circle was right. I'll let you celebrate your "victory" in peace I'm off to do my kid's homework. Be proud...

Don't cheat,

Let your kid do the homework. :P

• Like 2

Dude,

So what is your point?

Joking?

First of all,

Did the Patriots get caught cheating? Second, if the school doesn't catch the student who is at fault? Sure, the student is cheating himself but the league and or school is to blame. Thats what rules are in place for.

Lance Armstrong was never caught cheating, so don't blame him, blame the Tour. The rapist was never caught raping, so don't blame him, blame the police. The line of reasoning goes to show how far people will twist logic and reason to come to a desired outcome.

I can't tell which is worse, a typical abortion thread or this one.

Dude,

So what is your point?

Joking?

First of all,

Lance Armstrong was never caught cheating, so don't blame him, blame the Tour. The rapist was never caught raping, so don't blame him, blame the police. The line of reasoning goes to show how far people will twist logic and reason to come to a desired outcome.

:LOL:

But Armstrong was caught in the end,

And comparing a rapist to a so called deflated football is laughable!!

Don't cheat,

Why? I can do it better.

Don't cheat,

Why? I can do it better.

Are you sure? :D

Don't cheat,

Why? I can do it better.

Are you sure? :D

Quite. How tough can Macroeconomics be?

Dude,

So what is your point?

Joking?

First of all,

So whether you blame the perpetrator or the enforcer depends on the severity of the infraction? Got it.

Dude,

So what is your point?

Joking?

First of all,

So whether you blame the perpetrator or the enforcer depends on the severity of the infraction? Got it.

Like a so called deflated football? :LOL:

I can't tell which is worse, a typical abortion thread or this one.

This one. Abortion is at least a serious issue.

Can we try a reset here?

I'm no Patriot fan, but I also don't buy into all the conspiracy, and after listening to many discussions on ESPN and the NFL Network, I really cannot be convinced the 1-2PSI difference gives much, if any, of an advantage. That is my point of contention, not that the Patriots DIDN'T do anything wrong.

I am sure that they were manually altered, only reasonable explanation seeing the variance between the balls. But... was it done because they wanted an advantage? Odds are, they got out to the field, Brady told someone the balls were too hard and asked a pound be removed from each, and the moron doing it accidentally did one twice :LOL:

Can we try a reset here?

I'm no Patriot fan, but I also don't buy into all the conspiracy, and after listening to many discussions on ESPN and the NFL Network, I really cannot be convinced the 1-2PSI difference gives much, if any, of an advantage. That is my point of contention, not that the Patriots DIDN'T do anything wrong.

I am sure that they were manually altered, only reasonable explanation seeing the variance between the balls. But... was it done because they wanted an advantage? Odds are, they got out to the field, Brady told someone the balls were too hard and asked a pound be removed from each, and the moron doing it accidentally did one twice :LOL:

Brady should have already had his time with the footballs and directed them to be the way that he likes before anyone goes on the field. If your scenario were true, I think that would be a disastrous set of circumstances. That would be a case where Brady explicitly directed someone to make every ball non-compliant after they were inspected because he wanted balls he could grip easier.

I agree with you that it is likely that this was done manually. However, I suspect that Brady has made it known that he likes the balls as deflated as possible while still being within the rules *wink, wink* and someone has continued to push the boundaries on that and not get caught. On that day, they got caught.

As I have said above, I don't think you can quantify how much of an advantage having the balls deflated makes. But if a certain QB believes that a non-compliant ball is easier to grip than a compliant one, I don't have any problem in assuming that he's getting some sort of advantage from it. But the real issue is whether or not someone broke the rules with the intent to gain a competitive advantage on the field. To me, this alone would mandate a penalty. This case is worse than most as it potentially benefits the offense on every snap. And the history of cheating doesn't help.

Can we try a reset here?

Brady should have already had his time with the footballs and directed them to be the way that he likes before anyone goes on the field. If your scenario were true, I think that would be a disastrous set of circumstances. That would be a case where Brady explicitly directed someone to make every ball non-compliant after they were inspected because he wanted balls he could grip easier.

I agree with you that it is likely that this was done manually. However, I suspect that Brady has made it known that he likes the balls as deflated as possible while still being within the rules *wink, wink* and someone has continued to push the boundaries on that and not get caught. On that day, they got caught.

As I have said above, I don't think you can quantify how much of an advantage having the balls deflated makes. But if a certain QB believes that a non-compliant ball is easier to grip than a compliant one, I don't have any problem in assuming that he's getting some sort of advantage from it. But the real issue is whether or not someone broke the rules with the intent to gain a competitive advantage on the field. To me, this alone would mandate a penalty. This case is worse than most as it potentially benefits the offense on every snap. And the history of cheating doesn't help.

And we return to your positively idiotic observation that it doesn't matter if Brady truly gained a physical advantage from the condition of the balls.

By your foolish analysis, a player who intended to be injected with steroids, but was in fact injected with a saline solution, should nevertheless be punished for violating the substance abuse policy.

You once posted that soccer players are tougher than hockey players. I don't know if that statement is dumber than this one. I'll have to think about it.

Can we try a reset here?

And we return to your positively idiotic observation that it doesn't matter if Brady truly gained a physical advantage from the condition of the balls.

By your foolish analysis, a player who intended to be injected with steroids, but was in fact injected with a saline solution, should nevertheless be punished for violating the substance abuse policy.

You once posted that soccer players are tougher than hockey players. I don't know if that statement is dumber than this one. I'll have to think about it.

I said that while I believe he did get a physical advantage, the real issue is whether the rules were broken with the intent to gain an advantage. In your saline example, the person intended to break the rules, but didn't.

If someone injected themselves with steroids to get an advantage, but it could be proved that his body is such that the steroids have zero effect on him, should the person be punished for violating the substance abuse policy?

• Like 1

BOSTON—Having watched the Patriots win their fourth Super Bowl title in 14 years, sports fans across New England issued a thoughtful and introspective joint statement Wednesday announcing that they in no way deserve any of the success their teams have enjoyed over the past two decades. “When you stop and think about it, we’re loud-mouthed, we’re antagonistic, and we’re unbearably pompous, so there’s really no way we should have been able to enjoy four Super Bowls, three World Series, an NBA title, and a Stanley Cup since 2001,” read the statement in part, which added that “you can think of at least a dozen other fan bases off the top of your head” that would be far better served than Boston with teams that combined for nine different championships over the last 15 years. “The 2004 World Series was really the only thing that you could argue we had coming after waiting almost 100 years since our last one. But considering the way we angrily overreact to the slightest criticism of our teams—always brushing off even warranted criticism as jealousy or resentment—while also whining like crybabies about every little thing that doesn’t go our way, it’s hard to understand how we ended up in this spot. We’re obviously going to enjoy the win over the Seahawks, but let’s be honest here, we all know deep down that we don’t deserve this in the slightest.” At press time, residents of New England collectively decided that showing up to Wednesday’s Super Bowl championship parade would only perpetuate their utterly obnoxious and arrogant persona, leaving Patriots coaches and players to drive through the completely empty and silent streets of downtown Boston.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-england-fans-we-dont-deserve-this,37937/

• Like 1

BOSTON—Having watched the Patriots win their fourth Super Bowl title in 14 years, sports fans across New England issued a thoughtful and introspective joint statement Wednesday announcing that they in no way deserve any of the success their teams have enjoyed over the past two decades. “When you stop and think about it, we’re loud-mouthed, we’re antagonistic, and we’re unbearably pompous, so there’s really no way we should have been able to enjoy four Super Bowls, three World Series, an NBA title, and a Stanley Cup since 2001,” read the statement in part, which added that “you can think of at least a dozen other fan bases off the top of your head” that would be far better served than Boston with teams that combined for nine different championships over the last 15 years. “The 2004 World Series was really the only thing that you could argue we had coming after waiting almost 100 years since our last one. But considering the way we angrily overreact to the slightest criticism of our teams—always brushing off even warranted criticism as jealousy or resentment—while also whining like crybabies about every little thing that doesn’t go our way, it’s hard to understand how we ended up in this spot. We’re obviously going to enjoy the win over the Seahawks, but let’s be honest here, we all know deep down that we don’t deserve this in the slightest.” At press time, residents of New England collectively decided that showing up to Wednesday’s Super Bowl championship parade would only perpetuate their utterly obnoxious and arrogant persona, leaving Patriots coaches and players to drive through the completely empty and silent streets of downtown Boston.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-england-fans-we-dont-deserve-this,37937/

Totally disagree that we don't deserve the success we've enjoyed.

Of course, I also root for multimillionaires to win the lottery.

http://www.theonion....rve-this,37937/

I agree...you deserve the success you've enjoyed to the extent you contributed to it.

It's up to you to make the determination as to how much contribution you (and the rest of the fanbase) has made...

I agree...you deserve the success you've enjoyed to the extent you contributed to it.

It's up to you to make the determination as to how much contribution you (and the rest of the fanbase) has made...

I didn't suggest I contributed at all. I said that the fan base has enjoyed success. I used the word deserve because it appears in the post I quoted. Read through my posts if you like and you'll never find me using the pronoun "we" when talking about a team.

I didn't suggest I contributed at all. I said that the fan base has enjoyed success. I used the word deserve because it appears in the post I quoted. Read through my posts if you like and you'll never find me using the pronoun "we" when talking about a team.

I totally agree, as much as I love ALL the Boston area teams you'll never ever hear me use the term "we, my or our". I don't own in any way parts of those BEANTOWN teams so I have no interest in giving them that distinction. I just simply root for the teams and leave it there.