job interviews gone bad

circumstantial tree

I had an interview a week ago for an unpaid internship, and the more I think about what happened there, the angrier I get.

Although I need a paid position to get out of the unemployment circle, I figured I would humble myself and take on the unpaid internship which would at least give me some experience and allow for better chances for getting a paid job.

Okay, the woman in search of an intern had emailed me saying that they were looking for 2 interns: one in administrative and one in design (although limited design work).

Well, obviously I was interested in the design position.

I think the woman conducting my interview was just not professional. Here are some of the things that happened:

1. When I arrived, she asked if I had another resume because she lost her copy. Now, I happen to know that this is an old trick to "test" someone to see if they are prepared. Of course, I was prepared and had several copies with me and gave her one. If I could have spoken my mind though (and played this cat and mouse game), I would love to have asked why a professional of her calibre could so easily lose paperwork on an employee. Is she that clumsy with clientele?

2. When asked about why I was applying for the internship, I answered honestly and said "for the work experience". When she asked about what kind of schedule I was looking at, I said during the mornings and that I would be looking for a paid position to work in the afternoons doing something like data entry work. She had asked where I was currently working so I explained the situation in that while I was collecting unemployment benefits, I was required to search for paid work.

My problem started here when she asked if I thought I was "too good" for working at places like Walmart or the supermarket. First of all, that is putting words into my mouth, and secondly, what I do outside her office is none of her business, and no doubt, illegal. The only reason I volunteered my information about work time is because she herself hadn't thought of it. Thirdly, if I thought I was "too good" for a paid position at WalMart, then why the hell would I want to work for her with no paycheck at all?

3. As we were discussing aspects of the job, she said the person she'd be hiring would virtually not be working on current projects, because "she doesn't believe in interns working on things that clients pay good money for". What?!!!

Okay, I wish I could have asked her what she meant in her email by an administrative intern and a "design" intern. If the design intern is not allowed to work on projects, then how does that position differ from the administrative one? Personally, I believe that you learn by doing.

4. She basically came around to say that I was overqualified for the internship because of my skill set. Well, if she "hadn't lost my original resume" that would have been decided right away and not wasted any of my time. But since I believe she never lost my resume, I think she was looking for reasons to not hire me. I was the only guy in the office and I gotta wonder if this was sexist on her part.

The topper came when she said she sympathized for my position by saying she knew what it was like trying to get that first design job and that (get this) "I was probably thinking 'f*ck you' for not giving me the intern position"

Okay, first of all she's putting words in my mouth again, and secondly, while I sometimes opt to use that word in my personal life, IT IS UNPROFESSIONAL TO USE "f*ck" IN A PROFESSIONAL SETTING, AND MOST CERTAINLY NOT IN AN INTERVIEW!!!

5. Lastly, she wondered if she could send copies of my resume to other folks who may be willing to hire me if positions come available. She explained to me that she is the chair person in the "Ad Club of the Triangle" and that by distributing my resume, that may help me land a position since my name might be out there. I gave into that, but quite frankly I wish I hadn't. She had also tried to persuade me to join a group like AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Artists) or the Ad Club.

Yeah, right honey. Let me just fork over $200.00 to join your club which may or may not help my situation. Was I not clear enough when I said I was unemployed?

I also felt insulted that she didn't once request to see my portfolio. I've been to interviews before and "flunked" them of my own accord, but this lady convinced me 200 percent, that she is the one at fault here, not me.

Something just isn't right there. In essence, she was trying to make me want to join her club. Nice try, but I am not going to join a group of professional designers until I become one myself.

I have another internship interview tomorrow, which looks more promising and includes working on actual design projects. I'm going to print out the info this time, should something in the interview conflict with it.

I mean business.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 28 2004, 12:56 PM)
Something just isn't right there. In essence, she was trying to make me want to join her club. Nice try, but I am not going to join a group of professional designers until I become one myself.

I have another internship interview tomorrow, which looks more promising and includes working on actual design projects. I'm going to print out the info this time, should something in the interview conflict with it.

I mean business.

With all due respect, I see how you feel on this, however I would hat eto tell you, that $200 may be the best money you ever spent in your life. It would allow you to "network" and meet some people industry at meetings, etc, quote possibly opening the door up to an opportunity that may not have come otherwise.

She does sound like a wacked out bitch though.

I had an interview for a part time job, after baby. My sitter cancelled out on me at the last minute, and so I called my potential employer, and she said to bring the baby. Well, during the interview my baby started to grunt, and turn all kinds of pretty red. She riced her diaper, all the way out both legs, up the front, and back, and I had a reall bad mess. A genuine four alarm diaper. My potential boss helped me clean everything, and was laughing the whole time. I did get the job, but never got to start. I got a hairdresser job at the same time, and I'd rather do what I am certified for... laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 28 2004, 01:47 PM)

I mean business.

With all due respect, I see how you feel on this, however I would hat eto tell you, that $200 may be the best money you ever spent in your life. It would allow you to "network" and meet some people industry at meetings, etc, quote possibly opening the door up to an opportunity that may not have come otherwise.

I know the point your making, but I tried that once before and it didn't work out that way.

I don't want to waste my money on a group that may or may not help me find a job, although I do believe in networking. I would consider joining something like that if I were currently working but looking for a new job.

I can't afford to gamble on a club. And she lost all credibility with me before she got to that point about me joining. It was a very underhanded tactic, I feel, to ask me to fork over money to join her stupid club if she wasn't even going to hire me as an intern.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 28 2004, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 28 2004, 01:47 PM)

I mean business.

I know the point your making, but I tried that once before and it didn't work out that way.

I don't want to waste my money on a group that may or may not help me find a job, although I do believe in networking. I would consider joining something like that if I were currently working but looking for a new job.

I can't afford to gamble on a club. And she lost all credibility with me before she got to that point about me joining. It was a very underhanded tactic, I feel, to ask me to fork over money to join her stupid club if she wasn't even going to hire me as an intern.

So you feel there may be a chance that she brought you in just to get you to join this club? That is SHITTY!

Doesn't sound like she handled herself well in the interview at all. Sounds very unprofessional to begin with.

Well, I wouldn't say that was her goal. But she seemed to contradict what her email said initially among other things. Since she is the chairperson of that club, I felt she was trying to sell it to me.

That was only one thing out of many that I felt she unprofessional about.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Nov 28 2004, 01:48 PM)
I had an interview for a part time job, after baby. My sitter cancelled out on me at the last minute, and so I called my potential employer, and she said to bring the baby. Well, during the interview my baby started to grunt, and turn all kinds of pretty red. She riced her diaper, all the way out both legs, up the front, and back, and I had a reall bad mess. A genuine four alarm diaper. My potential boss helped me clean everything, and was laughing the whole time. I did get the job, but never got to start. I got a hairdresser job at the same time, and I'd rather do what I am certified for... laugh.gif

I applied for a job in my eighth month. They called to interview when Geneva was 3wks old. I had to take her along, and I think she was a bigger hit than mommy was.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Nov 28 2004, 02:55 PM)
I had an interview for a part time job, after baby.  My sitter cancelled out on me at the last minute, and so I called my potential employer, and she said to bring the baby.  Well, during the interview my baby started to grunt, and turn all kinds of pretty red.  She riced her diaper, all the way out both legs, up the front, and back, and I had a reall bad mess.  A genuine four alarm diaper.  My potential boss helped me clean everything, and was laughing the whole time.  I did get the job, but never got to start.  I got a hairdresser job at the same time, and I'd rather do what I am certified for... laugh.gif

I applied for a job in my eighth month. They called to interview when Geneva was 3wks old. I had to take her along, and I think she was a bigger hit than mommy was.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif How sweet... Love them babies.. wub.gif

well, I do have another interview tomorrow morning that looks better than the one last week. And it may develop into fulltime work with pay.

QUOTE (Trance @ Nov 29 2004, 12:18 AM)
She riced her diaper, all the way out both legs, up the front, and back, and I had a reall bad mess.  A genuine four alarm diaper.

Holy farg man!!! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

we used to refer to that as "having a major blow out"..... laugh.gif

Archived