Why Neil Peart is better than John Bonham

syrinxpriest 2112

Well, I cannot say either is better than each other because they both are..well the best. But if you ever get in a argument like one of these to quickly end it just simply say that Neil Peart is the best Percussionist and John Bonham is the best Drummer. Edited by GeddyLeeFender

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 8 2007, 10:08 PM)
Neil is more about the technical aspect, Bonzo is more about the feel and the groove, both are absolute tops in what they do. No point in comparing them. End of thread.

goodpost.gif

Neil does many things. Grooving is not one of them. Two excellent drummers with vastly different styles.

One interesting difference is that Neil's known for what he includes in his drumming, while Bonzo is often recognized for what he left out.

They really can't be compared.

John was an influence on Neil, but you can't hear much of it. John was a more of a free player with tons of feel, whereas Neil is a very disciplined and organized player who will play the song almost exactly the same each time. Bonzo would often play fills totally different than on the original version of songs. Both approaches have merit and I think that both approaches are appropriate for each of their bands and styles.

John was a tremendous drummer. If it were not for John, many of today's players would not be doing what they are doing. Same with Neil. He has paved the way for many drummers as well.

So they are both equal, but in different ways.

John Bonham had immense power, but Neil has the combination of power and finesse - combining Bonham's strength with a Bill Bruford-like ability to play odd time signatures and such. Plus, Neil is more of a percussionist; Bonham was just a drummer.

Neil is better.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 9 2007, 12:55 AM)

John was an influence on Neil, but you can't hear much of it. John was a more of a free player with tons of feel, whereas Neil is a very disciplined and organized player who will play the song almost exactly the same each time. Bonzo would often play fills totally different than on the original version of songs. Both approaches have merit and I think that both approaches are appropriate for each of their bands and styles.

John was a tremendous drummer. If it were not for John, many of today's  players would not be doing what they are doing. Same with Neil. He has paved the way for many drummers as well.

I agree with this post.

In the end, don't sell Bonham short. I'm pretty certain Peart wouldn't. The man is the quintessential hard rock/metal drummer...and one of the biggest influences the genre has ever known.

Peart is the greatest because he's the complete package...disciplined with timing, a full range percussionist on all levels...always striving to learn more, improve himself. Almost compulsively and obsessively so.

Bonham was just a natural, who went by feel and energy.

Neil Peart is Peyton Manning to Bonham's Terry Bradshaw. That's the best way I can put it.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Feb 9 2007, 03:09 AM)
I have a friend who is convinced that John Bonham could out drum Pratt rofl3.gif .

so......................I'm trying to convice him otherwise.

Help a noble cause. Give him some reasons why Neil is just better.

cuz Neil is still alive? eh.gif eyesre4.gif

John was a tremendous drummer. If it were not for John, many of today's players would not be doing what they are doing. Same with Neil. He has paved the way for many drummers as well.

Within reason this is like trying to prove that Coke tastes better than Pepsi. Its subjective.

I don't hate Neil Peart's drumming but I find his drum solos to be always the same. He doesn't spice it up by doing anythign different when they preform live.

John Bonham on the other hand, yes his style is very different from Rush but his solos were always different and he also composed one of the best drum solos ever in the recording of Moby Dick Live.

But that's just IMHO.

• Like 2

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 9 2007, 09:07 AM)

John was a tremendous drummer. If it were not for John, many of today's  players would not be doing what they are doing. Same with Neil. He has paved the way for many drummers as well.

Within reason this is like trying to prove that Coke tastes better than Pepsi. Its subjective.

Good point but...

Neil Peart and John Bonham are both great drummers in their own right who, while being influenced by many others (most obviously Neil Peart by John Bonham) basically invented their own style.

Pepsi-Cola, on the other hand, was one of many Coca-Cola immitation products and is just the one that happens to be about as popular as the original today. I'm not saying Coke tastes better than Pepsi, you're right it is subjective, I prefer Coke personally, I'm just saying that neither of these two great drummers merely copied the other as was the case with Pepsi and Coke.

There are cases when one musician copies another and it's still subjective which one is better. I just thought it should be pointed out that I don't consider either great drummer an immitator.

Their styles are too different to really compare. Neil is very technical and precise in his approach, I think, and Bonzo was totally intuitive and - organic is the word I want to use. His approach was much more instinctive.

And given the fact that Rush would be in the same position Led Zep was if, Goddess forbid, they lost Neil, I'd say they're pretty much equals.

smile.gif

What is the definition of "better"? Seems silly to compare one to another. Bonham couldn't sit in the studio and make a 'Rush' record, and vice versa. That's why both bands are legendary because they both did what few others could. Zep played more streamlined rock which appealled to more of the masses, so it would also be silly to compare record sales/status/etc.

Technically, Peart is far from being the best drummer in the world. However, the reason why I love his playing so much is because he can take his technical abilities and APPLY them to the songs he's creating unlike any other in his field (living or dead). That in itself is a talent that even the most 'technically' advanced players in the world can seriously lack.

btw: Isn't it something worth celebrating that we have the works of BOTH John Bonham AND Neil Peart to enjoy? That's a much better thing to ponder, than who's "better".

trink39.gif

• Like 1