Windows Vista

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Feb 2 2007, 10:00 PM)
If that is accurate, it's COMPLETE BULLSHIT !!!!
I mean seriously, what the hell are they doing? They must have struck a deal with everyone. I don't believe this can be possible. I will have to find someone who has Vista and ask them.
I can think of 5 ways around this right now. But I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know computers and hardware (if this is true).

I don't understand any of that article. I have Vista, by the way. smile.gif unsure.gif I don't think it's too bad...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I installed Vista Ultimate last week, I've had so many problems with it that I'm seriously considering just going back to XP. It's a miracle that this POS is working right now, actually. It's been broken for most of the week.

I used it from October through about a week ago. I went back to XP because it kept crashing/locking up/freezing, even after a fresh reinstall.

Thinkpad X60s/Core Duo 1.66/100gb 5400/1.5GB RAM/GMA950

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Feb 26 2007, 12:24 AM)
it's working okay for me. i probably wouldn't recommend buying it though....There's no real big improvement and the security 'feature' of asking for confirmation on 90% of everything you do gets very annoying after awhile

Yeah. It only does the confirmation thing, though, when you're downloading software.

I don't recommend buying it unless you're buying a new computer that already has Vista. That's how I got it.

The thing I really like is the sweet 3D window scroll thing, though. SOOOO COOOOLLL!!! drool1.gif

ive had it for 3 months have no problems. just double check the microsfot website to see if the program you want to instal is compatible. you may need to update drivers

QUOTE (mars_volta @ May 18 2007, 01:51 AM)
microsoft, vista, and DRM is the devil.

ubuntu and linux is the future.

Ubuntu is Linux....

I agree that a lot of open source programs are excellent- especially those for Unix based systems (I have a load on my Mac, PC and Suse Linux computers). However I work in a school and it is virtually impossible to find educational software that will work on platforms other that PC. I'm even struggling at the moment with Vista- I have a Vista site license (and also Office 2007), however I can't implement this software as none of the educational programs the teachers have to use for meeting the curriculum will work with Vista or Office 2007. There were even problems with IE7- CSS didn't work quite the same as was needed for the web development courses.

Vista, however, is a big hit with me- the best thing is that they got rid of those annoying pop up balloons that plagued XP (you know, *pop* You've plugged something in! *pop* Windows is installing the software for the thing you plugged in! *pop* please wait whilst Windows hangs your computer trying to find a program to open the thing you plugged in... thank goodness for MSconfig and group policies!) The UAC is easy enough to disable (although, bizarrely, Adobe reader requires this to be enabled to install....) and there aren't as many annoyances that I can find as with XP, which had loads. Most of the problems that gamers were having with NVidia drivers seem to have been ironed out, and the only program I've found that doesn't work with Vista so far is Microsoft's old NT User Manager! I'd recommend that new PC buyers get Vista- also, if you turn off the aero interface Vista allegedly uses less system resources than XP, so it could perhaps give older systems a new lease of life too, although I've not tested this out.

QUOTE (Bluefunk @ May 18 2007, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (mars_volta @ May 18 2007, 01:51 AM)
microsoft, vista, and DRM is the devil.

ubuntu and linux is the future.

Ubuntu is Linux....

I agree that a lot of open source programs are excellent- especially those for Unix based systems (I have a load on my Mac, PC and Suse Linux computers). However I work in a school and it is virtually impossible to find educational software that will work on platforms other that PC. I'm even struggling at the moment with Vista- I have a Vista site license (and also Office 2007), however I can't implement this software as none of the educational programs the teachers have to use for meeting the curriculum will work with Vista or Office 2007. There were even problems with IE7- CSS didn't work quite the same as was needed for the web development courses.

Vista, however, is a big hit with me- the best thing is that they got rid of those annoying pop up balloons that plagued XP (you know, *pop* You've plugged something in! *pop* Windows is installing the software for the thing you plugged in! *pop* please wait whilst Windows hangs your computer trying to find a program to open the thing you plugged in... thank goodness for MSconfig and group policies!) The UAC is easy enough to disable (although, bizarrely, Adobe reader requires this to be enabled to install....) and there aren't as many annoyances that I can find as with XP, which had loads. Most of the problems that gamers were having with NVidia drivers seem to have been ironed out, and the only program I've found that doesn't work with Vista so far is Microsoft's old NT User Manager! I'd recommend that new PC buyers get Vista- also, if you turn off the aero interface Vista allegedly uses less system resources than XP, so it could perhaps give older systems a new lease of life too, although I've not tested this out.

what kind of educational software are you looking for? there are thousands of debian edu packages.

Specifically, Adobe (Macromedia) Studio is required for some of the IT courses. Adobe Photoshop is required for the Art courses- even though we have a site license for MS Digital Image Suite and I'm a big GIMP fan. There are entire subject courses based around certain e-learning and educational software that is not available on any platform other than PC or Mac- for example, Varndean DIDA, Sibelius and MS Office. We also use reports software and Information Management software to store school attendance, personnel and student records which is not even Vista ready yet. We get these from our local area authority; which software is used is determined by government guidelines and beyond our control. We have also just completed the pilots for online examinations (yes, you've guessed it- XP only!) and our LEA Internet provider and schools email system have webpages that won't even work with Firefox, let alone Safari or Opera. Didn't work with IE7 for a while, either, hehe! Our web server is Suse Linux and I defiantly use a Mac laptop (off domain but I use it to remote desktop a lot), but apart from that the only non PC computers in the school are a collection of 'antiques' such as ZX81s and Commodores in an IT teachers' personal 'museum'. I'm admin systems manager but cannot use my admin systems software (Capita SIMS) on my Vista PC! I'd love to get rid of the whole lot and replace all 750 PCs with Ubuntu or something, but we have to meet the curriculum and Data storage/ security standards, and Macs are waaaaay out of the price league of most mainstream English schools.

what bit torrent client does everyone use with vista? utorrent.. i am having a hard time installing it.. it freezes up at 98% complete.. wtf.gif

QUOTE (Part 4 of a Trilogy @ May 24 2007, 07:08 PM)
what bit torrent client does everyone use with vista? utorrent.. i am having a hard time installing it.. it freezes up at 98% complete.. wtf.gif

I have BitLord working fine with Vista......

*Cough*Run Linux instead. Don't support that subpar, money-stealing company*Cough*

Vista is terrible. And, yes, even though I am a Linux zealot/fanboi, I have done my research, and gave Vista a run (Not on my own computer though of course! No proprietary software runs on my computer!), so you can't yell at me for fanboism...

Linux > Mac >= Windoze

Join the Bad Vista campaign! Don't install that rubbish or let anyone else use it!

http://www.tuxiscool.com/pics/tux.png

i never really had a problem except the day i got it and tried to foolishly install real player for rhapsody .. it wasnt compatible and it crashed the system.. all i had to do is look prior to installing a program to se if it the said program is compatible.. if it wasnt either try to backdoor installing or not install it and find an alterior program. vista rocks. but i guess i am in the minority.. but it does me and my wife just fine

For me, the "Wow" is Wow I can't believe how badly Microsoft F'd this one up.

Please Mr Gates, can you make sure the product works before you release it upon the masses like some rampant disease?

Give me XP! Or Mac, or better yet, RedHat! Just get this bug laden crud off my laptop!

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Jun 6 2007, 08:06 AM)

For me, the "Wow" is Wow I can't believe how badly Microsoft F'd this one up.
Please Mr Gates, can you make sure the product works before you release it upon the masses like some rampant disease?

Give me XP! Or Mac, or better yet, RedHat! Just get this bug laden crud off my laptop!

What are the bugs that you are experiencing?

Archived