Windows Vista

Tom Sawyer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was curious about this too. Anyone out there who's been tracking what the differences are from XP and how this will be the 'next step' in computing?

From Yahoo Tech (I've only browsed through it myself and hope it's of some help)

What's New in Windows Vista Anyway?

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:24PM EST

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/3335

With Windows Vista's release finally upon us, it's normal to wonder what Microsoft's newest operating system actually has in store for the user.

What's so great about it? What's not so swell? And what are the new features that could possibly compel me to pay up to $400 to buy it? Well, whether you're going to pay that kind of cash is a question I've dug into in another post, but if you really want the scoop on Vista's most interesting features, well, read on.

Aero - Windows Aero (formerly/alternately known as Aero Glass) is the revamped version of the Windows GUI, a gussied up, prettified, 3D interface that's supposed to make you oooh and aaah... provided you have the hardware to run it. If you don't have a relatively recent 3D graphics card, you won't be able to run the full version of Aero and your system will default to a 2D interface which, while pretty, is not nearly as gorgeous. You'll also be able to drop "gadgets" onto your desktop: clocks, calculators, headlines, and the like.

Integrated Search - Windows XP's dog slow built-in search is so pathetic it's a joke, and not just because of the little yellow dog that's there to "help you" find your files. Vista's upgraded search includes thumbnails, real-time indexing, and other features of third-party search tools like Yahoo! Search.

Updated Graphics Engine - Microsoft frequently updates DirectX, the display drivers that power video games and other graphics tools. The new version for Vista, DirectX 10, is a big upgrade that fixes a number of issues (like letting you run 3D applications inside a window instead of full screen) that have long plagued the driver. Video games will get a host of new features, too, and many upcoming games will run best (with all their cool new effects) on Vista.

Security Upgrades - The jury's out on how well Vista's new file permissions/sharing system is going to work, and what normal users might think of the lockdown of Vista from a security standpoint. Simple tasks often require multiple confirmations (a lot like how Internet Explorer now requires your permission to download files), and the OS is more complicated because of this. However the increased level of security is probably a good thing and should help prevent spyware and virus infections, at least until hackers figure out how to get around the restrictions. Parental controls are also now integrated with the OS. So far, the news on this front is encouraging.

Updates for Laptops - As the world goes mobile, Windows is following suit. Laptops will get new power management options, and as external displays on the lids of notebooks start to appear, they'll get more features, too. Called SideShow, this is one of Vista's cooler new features, though hardware that uses SideShow may be a long time coming. (Here's a sneak peek.)

Networking Upgrades - Wireless networking got a nice upgrade with Windows XP SP2, but Vista cleans it up even more. Newcomers to Wi-Fi should find it even easier to get online. Unfortunately file sharing between Vista and XP machines is difficult.

Internet Explorer 7 - New browser. You can check it out now (on XP) if you're interested.

New Backup Utility - Windows' integrated backup has been a joke for a decade. The new backup system might actually be something people will use.

New Mail/Calendar - Improvements to Outlook Express.

Integrated Spyware Killer - Also available for testing now.

Those are the big changes, but Vista of course offers tweaks in virtually every corner of the operating system. For more information (though biased), feel free to flip through Microsoft's marketing materials for more pictures and details.

To see if your current PC can handle Vista, run Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor.

As much as I want it (i really do), I am not in the position right now to switch OS's. Although, I could install it on a different partition just to mess with it.

Just the interface alone is killer. I've been learning about it for months now and really like it. Still, I'm waiting until April.

ONLY buy the Vista Ultimate version !!!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 30 2007, 09:35 AM)
It's time for me to get a MAC!

I'm beginning to agree with statement more and more, increasing evertime MS opens there collective mouth.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:21 AM)
I can't believe I am wearing a "The WOW Starts Now" Vista t-shirt....

I work at my dads computer company btw...i'm not THAT nerdy!

laugh.gif I want that shirt ! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 30 2007, 11:22 AM)
To see if your current PC can handle Vista, run Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor.

I ran the scan and it told me the "Home Premium" version, whatever that's like, is best for my laptop...

I am gonna wait until service pack 1 hits sometime around the end of the year. Once it hits the market and large numbers of people start using it regularly there will be many bugs that will be discovered. I have found its best to let others find the problems and wait for the first major go round of updates. Also people should be sure to check which versions have which features. Some of those really nice features listed above are only available in the ultimate version. I was in best buy over the weeked and they have a whole boatload of new desktops and notebooks all preloaded with vista basic home edition so be mindful of that when buying a new machine.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:21 AM)
I can't believe I am wearing a "The WOW Starts Now" Vista t-shirt....

I work at my dads computer company btw...i'm not THAT nerdy!

I wonder just how much the person who came up with this slogan was paid?!! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5117/wowstartsnowcl4.png

Apple Revs Up Ad Attacks on PCs, Vista

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- For nearly a year, television and Internet audiences have been seeing a familiar string of ads from Apple attacking rival Windows-based computers. With this week's release of Windows Vista, the newest jabs aren't any friendlier.
In one ad, the character personifying the PC is dressed in hospital patient garb, talking about how he's set to undergo major surgery to upgrade to Vista. He then saunters off, telling the Mac character that if he doesn't come back, Mac can have his peripherals.

In another ad, a man pretending to be the Mac character heaps praises for the PC _ until the real Mac character steps in, confounded, asking "What's going on?" The fake Mac replies, "Nothing," and then mutters "I'm a fan" as he walks away.

On its own Web site, Apple Inc. tells visitors to get a Mac, stating, "Why upgrade to Vista when you can upgrade past it?"

Link

I have a Mac mini sitting downstairs in the basement. Makes a great paper weight. I can't wait for Vista! drool1.gif

If that is accurate, it's COMPLETE BULLSHIT !!!!

I mean seriously, what the hell are they doing? They must have struck a deal with everyone. I don't believe this can be possible. I will have to find someone who has Vista and ask them.

I can think of 5 ways around this right now. But I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know computers and hardware (if this is true).

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Feb 2 2007, 11:00 PM)
If that is accurate, it's COMPLETE BULLSHIT !!!!
I mean seriously, what the hell are they doing? They must have struck a deal with everyone. I don't believe this can be possible. I will have to find someone who has Vista and ask them.
I can think of 5 ways around this right now. But I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know computers and hardware (if this is true).

Yes all MS has done is make things harder for legitimate users. People will find ways around this stuff, but what I want to know is what gives MS the right to dictate how you will use their product after you have purchased it(even thought you really only rented it)?

How does that work anyway. Will you truly own this thing after you have forked out $400 dollars for it? Am I to understand that the licensing only allows you to reinstall the OS or move it to another machine, 1 time? You can't back up the licensing for the OS or the media content? Hard disk failures will be super expensive.

I certainly hope that most of this is extreme overexageration but these are not the first "nazi" tactics that Microsoft has used to try and control every aspect of the pc market from software to hardware. They are trying to control it all and squash out everyone who does not comply. I also have not personally used Vista nor do I know anyone who has so I will wait before making a final judgment but I am still always looking for ways to switch what I do on a MS machine over to a linux platform. Maybe someday I can be completely MS free.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/104349/microso...med-vienna.html

Just wait until 2009 when Vienna is released: What a Joke

I just bought a new PC with vista - I couldn't pass up the deal - it was a display computer originally 1899.00 at costco marked down to 1499.00 because they were cutting back on HP's, and the manager knocked off another 150.00.

Already had vista problems - wont run some of my business software -

everytime you want to install something or even make a shortcut you are asked if you reall, really want to do it - freaking annoying -

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Feb 5 2007, 09:03 PM)
I'll be getting a macbook ASAP

that's kinda the direction i'm leaning toward too about now....

Archived