Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 2 2004, 04:45 PM)
its kinda obvious, but i love in freewill after "you can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill" neil hits that splash cymbal twice. it goes perfect.

yes.gif Works for me. trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 2 2004, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 2 2004, 04:45 PM)
its kinda obvious, but i love in freewill after "you can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill" neil hits that splash cymbal twice. it goes perfect.

yes.gif Works for me. trink39.gif

Same here trink39.gif

In Grace to Grace from Geddy's MFH, there's a "beep" about 4 minutes into the song, during the chorus.

Like all RUSH fans there are lots of bits I like. Most of mine tend to be percussion and a few that spring to mind are

The cow bells on Big Money

In Dreamline during the great guitar solo, Neil uses the high hat four times but you have to listen carefully

After the singing starts in 2112, Neil does a fill around the drum kit and reverses this fill at the end of the chorus or section

I love the bass solo towards the end of Closer to the Heart on the live versions SOH and GUP

Strange little percussion sound ocurs once in the middle of Xanadu (Marimba?)

The best part though is listening to a RUSH song that you have heard hundreds of times and discovering something new!

NeilFinal.gif

I'm still amazed at how that guitar sounds in the CTTH solo.

Listening to Natural Science today (first time for a while) I was struck by the vocal effects used during Hyperspace. For the 'Quantum leap forward' verse there's a sort of reverse echo effect used which I think is a fnatastic treatment for a vocal track (I don't know what the proper term for it is). Later, during the 'Computerised clinic' verse, if you listen carefully, you can hear a strange 1970s Science-Fiction computer sound that I love as well.

I am in awe of all your replies!

My friends, indeed, we have some deep deep rRsh fans here. And that's just so good!! I don't have to be shy about my Rush-love with you guys.

Anyway, my favourite sound is the bright chiming keyboard sound in The Enemy Within that plays the descending 3 or 4 note line after (before?) the chorus.

Oh, and all the guitar sounds on VP.

Disco

PS GREAT idea for a thread...

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 3 2004, 12:32 PM)
Listening to Natural Science today (first time for a while) I was struck by the vocal effects used during Hyperspace. For the 'Quantum leap forward' verse there's a sort of reverse echo effect used which I think is a fnatastic treatment for a vocal track (I don't know what the proper term for it is). Later, during the 'Computerised clinic' verse, if you listen carefully, you can hear a strange 1970s Science-Fiction computer sound that I love as well.

VERY COOL. I love both of those effects. Excellent entry, bro! Thank you.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 4 2004, 05:01 PM)
Has anyone mentioned the inhale during Bangkok at 1:50...sounds like someone cashin a one-hitter...er, so I'm told.

Oh I've GOT to give that a listen. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Dec 3 2004, 03:08 PM)
Anyway, my favourite sound is the bright chiming keyboard sound in The Enemy Within that plays the descending 3 or 4 note line after (before?) the chorus.

Yeah that keyboard is an awesome part of the song!! Very crisp. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 4 2004, 05:01 PM)
Has anyone mentioned the inhale during Bangkok at 1:50...sounds like someone cashin a one-hitter...er, so I'm told.

I gave it a listen. PERFECT!! laugh.gif I love that thin little pinch it gives. cool10.gif

Nice entry new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Margana @ Dec 2 2004, 06:12 PM)
In Dreamline during the great guitar solo, Neil uses the high hat four times but you have to listen carefully.

I think you mean on the live versions, yes? The high hat is not used on the studio version which is why it's such a standout during the live performances.

Yes - I've ALWAYS loved that!! Excellent inclusions. 1022.gif

That gets three Yeah Neils:

Yeah Neil NeilFinal.gif Yeah Neil NeilFinal.gif Yeah Neil NeilFinal.gif

Ok - here's a couple of new entries.

• Nocture - 0:28 - Switch from left to right channel and listen to Alex's guitar. Left is dry and sounds like your child's first guitar. The right channel is all effect. That's just so f'ing cool.
  • Force Ten - 4:12 - What's the "uhh.. uhh... uhh..." thing that Geddy throws in there? I don't know either, but it's awesome!!!!!

Force Ten - 4:12 - What's the "uhh.. uhh... uhh..." thing that Geddy throws in there? I don't know either, but it's awesome!!!

You know, I don't think I've ever heard him throw that in when they've played the song live. Has anybody else?

Btw, on the subject of trivia that most probably have no interest in, that cool, sparkling synth sound on "The Enemy Within" was a PPG Wave 2.2 run at high volume thru a big set of monitors and miked from twenty feet away (according to a magazine interview). The synthesizer in question was reportedly thrown in a dumpster when the band were cleaning out their warehouse a few years back, despite the fact that the synth is a collector's item that goes for thousands of dollars (on the rare occasions you can actually find one for sale). Like I said, useless trivia, LOL. wink.gif

I can't tell if you guys are looking for cool effects, or bad things in the mix...but

-THeres what ever someone says at about like 8 minutes into camera eye

-a weird noise at like 1:09 into twilight zone

but as far as things that are suppose to be there that i like

I love at like 2:45 in Force Ten, when that weird geddy voice says go agaisnt force ten and ride the wind....or something like that

I also just like the vocal...screeching ged will do in some songs to add affect...like in overture and manhattan project....it really gives a flavor and a fourth dimension to the song.

and as far as neil with his awesome drumming back there...so much one could say...

Edited by New World Kid

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Dec 23 2004, 08:28 PM)
At the end of red lenses, during the fade at the very end, Geddy starts this sort of rap, can't tell what he says though. I can only hear it with headphones.

AWESOME!! I've got to check that out.

QUOTE (Dave G @ Dec 23 2004, 11:16 AM)
Force Ten - 4:12 - What's the "uhh.. uhh... uhh..." thing that Geddy throws in there? I don't know either, but it's awesome!!!

You know, I don't think I've ever heard him throw that in when they've played the song live. Has anybody else?

Btw, on the subject of trivia that most probably have no interest in, that cool, sparkling synth sound on "The Enemy Within" was a PPG Wave 2.2 run at high volume thru a big set of monitors and miked from twenty feet away (according to a magazine interview). The synthesizer in question was reportedly thrown in a dumpster when the band were cleaning out their warehouse a few years back, despite the fact that the synth is a collector's item that goes for thousands of dollars (on the rare occasions you can actually find one for sale). Like I said, useless trivia, LOL. wink.gif

I like that kind of trivia. Thanks, bro. smile.gif