Great 'sounds' in the songs

• Please log in to reply
846 replies to this topic

#41 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 10:40 PM)

• Totem - during the 2nd chorus in parallel with Geddy singing the word Monsters....  there is this twang sound in the background.  Listen carefully for it.  (2.27)
  • Secret Touch - at precisely 4:00, have your balance all the way on the Left channel.  Awesome little slide sound from what I think is the guitar.
  • Roll The Bones - During the final chorus, has anyone ever noticed the 'skeleton' saying "Because we're here" along with the vocals?  You have to listen really hard, but it's there.  It's the same "Because we're here" that blares out at the end of the live version.  It's actually easier to make out as the music is fading.
  • Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus. Take special notice at 3:58. The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here. They are awesome!!!

Here are some others:
  • Driven - During the last verse, Neil accentuates the moment with this double hit to one of his splash cymbals.  It's always been the highlight of the song for me.  Found at 3.21.
  • Time Stand Still - The band goes into this energy charged drive leading into the final vocals.  With the music are some sound effects I go crazy over.  At 3.07 there is this ghostly, yet angelic keyboard effect that comes out of nowhere and builds louder and louder.  YES!!
  • Time Stand Still - same section of music.  A percussion sound effect at 3.11.  There's a rac-a-tac-a-tac-a-tac sound just before Neil's snare fill.  YES!!!!!!  THE BEST!!
  • Limelight - Best part of the song, imo. - At the end of Alex's solo he starts plucking the rhythm which leads into the last chorus.  However, there are these last few lead notes.  He hits that final note, and grabs that twang bar thing on this guitar and holds that bad boy for the next 18 seconds, right behind Geddy's vocal.  It's the greatest thing I think I've ever heard.  3.12
  • Half The World - I don't know how to explain this one (and I play drums).  Neil and Geddy do this bass/drum triplet thing leading into Alex's Mandolin solo.  Listen to how Neil changes the order in which he hits his snare.  So subtle, yet GENIUS!!  2.28
  • Stick It Out - Another subtle moment of genius.  During the 2nd verse, listen to that rude bell ride that Neil is doing, just when Geddy is singing "Moment of crisis".  He changes the downbeat ride just for those 4 counts.  Stuff like that just sets me off!!!

Ok so I must ask... is anyone trying to give these a listen?  It's the subtle little moments and little sound effects that gets me to jump out of my skin!!  Such an adrenlaline surge!!

Test for echo..... anyone out there??  oneone??

Sponsored Post

#42 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:58 PM

On Exit stage left in Xanadu, around the 2:10 point the cymbals are the only drums going and he's hitting them at the exact same time that Alex is playing his notes, it sounds so sweet, you can tell they played the song together a million times before.

Edited by Indica, 01 December 2004 - 11:58 PM.

#43 prince by-tor

prince by-tor

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:32 AM

I like the end of Lakeside which i always follow with 2112..like the end and the beginnings those two songs..

#44 jerbils

jerbils

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:41 AM

I've always loved the guitar slide at the end of the third verse of The Trees.  It really helps the whole "rock out" feeling of that section of the song.

#45 petsounds75

petsounds75

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:54 AM

Where's My Thing - the keyboard swirly jangly sound.

The Pass - (turn around and turn around turn around) catchy hook.

Hemispheres - a section where Geddy sings (I have memory and awareness, but I have no shape or form) - that airy foggy keyboard sound, then the guitar comes in with Geddy's voice upfront and kills it.

Natural Science - the changing tempos

By Tor - the bluesy guitar last section of the suite before it goes into reprise of first section.

Cygnus - the intro with the bass guitar starting the 1 odd time hit, then does 2, then does 3, then back to 1.

You Bet Your Life - tail end of the song where Alex goes higher up on the scales picking great notes and Neil starts his trademark flying around the kit fills.

I guess I like the sort of surrounding loopy sounds in their music because it adds so much color and dimension to their sound.

I know that there's names for the sections I mentioned on some of the songs, but I can't think of them right now...or really, know what they're called, yet I've heard them all a million times before.

#46 Drumnut

Drumnut

Bill Gates

• Members *
  • 18341 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:12 AM

Off the top of my head, the piano at the end of "The Spirit of Radio." I can't hear it on any live albums but you can hear it on PeW.

#47 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, painting, my children, cinema

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 2 2004, 08:12 AM)
Off the top of my head, the piano at the end of "The Spirit of Radio." I can't hear it on any live albums but you can hear it on PeW.

I remeber hearing it at Wembley this year.  Plus it may be audible on one of my R30 boots.

#48 Drumnut

Drumnut

Bill Gates

• Members *
  • 18341 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 2 2004, 09:28 AM)

I remeber hearing it at Wembley this year.  Plus it may be audible on one of my R30 boots.

They didn't play Freewill this year, did they? (R30) confused13.gif  

#49 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 2 2004, 05:40 PM)

confused13.gif  confused13.gif  

#50 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 2 2004, 12:40 PM)

No.  The did not have that on the playlist for R30.

#51 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

What I want to know is where did Freewill creep into the conversation.

#52 Drumnut

Drumnut

Bill Gates

• Members *
  • 18341 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 2 2004, 10:07 AM)
What I want to know is where did Freewill creep into the conversation.

doh.gif My bad, right album wrong song!!! oops.gif  wacko.gif  

#53 RushGuru

RushGuru

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1308 posts
  • Interests:Rush (duh), guitar, drums, going to concerts, Playing in my band, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Hockey, Football...

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:45 PM

its kinda obvious, but i love in freewill after "you can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill" neil hits that splash cymbal twice. it goes perfect.

#54 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 2 2004, 04:45 PM)
its kinda obvious, but i love in freewill after "you can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill" neil hits that splash cymbal twice. it goes perfect.

yes.gif Works for me.   trink39.gif  

#55 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 2 2004, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (RushGuru @ Dec 2 2004, 04:45 PM)

yes.gif Works for me.   trink39.gif

Same here trink39.gif  

#56 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:06 PM

The sound of glass breaking in the middle of YYZ

#57 RushGuru

RushGuru

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1308 posts
  • Interests:Rush (duh), guitar, drums, going to concerts, Playing in my band, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Hockey, Football...

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

i like the pedal work in the beginning of Spirit of radio. anybody know what kind of pedal it was? i dont think it was a wah but i might be wrong...

#58 Oberon

Oberon

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading (in English and French), learning other languages (I'm at four right now, starting one more next year), movies, good humour (Monty Python et al.), travel

Posted 02 December 2004 - 05:22 PM

In Grace to Grace from Geddy's MFH, there's a "beep" about 4 minutes into the song, during the chorus.

#59 Margana

Margana

The Seeker

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:12 PM

Like all RUSH fans there are lots of bits I like. Most of mine tend to be percussion and a few that spring to mind are

The cow bells on Big Money

In Dreamline during the great guitar solo, Neil uses the high hat four times but you have to listen carefully

After the singing starts in 2112, Neil does a fill around the drum kit and reverses this fill at the end of the chorus or section

I love the bass solo towards the end of Closer to the Heart on the live versions SOH and GUP

Strange little percussion sound ocurs once in the middle of Xanadu (Marimba?)

The best part though is listening to a RUSH song that you have heard hundreds of times and discovering something new!

NeilFinal.gif  

#60 Slaine mac Roth

Slaine mac Roth

Uber-Geek

• Members *
  • 8106 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

I may have missed this, but there's the keyboard section in YYZ that really paints the picture of an airliner rising into the sky.  At least it does in my mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users