Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 27 2004, 04:34 AM)
I don't know why but in Under the Shadow from The Necromancer there are times when you can hear Geddy's fingers sliding along the fret board. Don't know why, I just love hearing that.

That's what I'm talking about!!!! COOL. Gonna give it a listen. cool.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Nov 27 2004, 03:23 AM)
This is an awesome, awesome thread!!! Where do I begin, I am going to be here a while I guess. I am going to go thru all of it, because there is something off of almost every album that really 'gets' me...

>2112, the start of it, before they sing. The musicianship is just killer.

>Tom Sawyer, I love how the rhythm leaves you hanging... slow rocking kinda, cant explain it any better.

>Witch Hunt, same thing there, the synth, and the words...Kinda leaves me feeling eerie at what people had to go thru.

>Camera Eye, the music thru the whole thing is so enjoyable. Its been ages since I heard the song, but I remember it.

>The Analog Kid, great words, great tunes. Makes me think of a warm summer twilite...

>Losing It. When Alex is doing his guitar, I am guessing thats what it is, and it sounds great... Well, maybe not guitar, electric violin??? I dont know. Its been a while for that one too... Love the interesting sounds.

>Distant Early Warning, the whole damn song. It just rocks, I cant find particular thing, but I love the bass in it, and how it starts out. The words..

>Kid Gloves, how the song starts out. I love that signature sound of Alexs, his own unique style that no one can ever imitate.

>Body Electric, the drums.

>Grand designs, the guitar, all of it.

>Marathon, all of it.

>Territories. I love the beginning, and the bass in it, when Ged sings between heaven and earth, and the guitar thru the whole thing.

>Middletown Dreams, how it start out. And thru out the whole thing, how it all meshes so wonderfully together.

>Prime Mover, When he starts singing... and I get carried away.

>Turn the Page, the bass, and the excitement thru the song. We disengage, we turn the pag...

>High Water. The beginning drums, how it changes tones thru every other time, I am not savvy on drums, but thats how I can explain it best. And when the bass line comes in, or is it the synth... when its no longer just the drums... I dont know how to say it better than that.

>Show Dont Tell, The chorus.

>The Pass, the guitar. As Barn put it once, it sounds as if weeping, and I believe it. A very moving song.

>War Paint, the guitar in the chorus.

>Scars, the drums and bass thru out the whole thing. Kind of dancy in a way. Gets me moving for sure.

>Superconductor, How they say superconductor in the chorus. Love it.

>On all of Roll the Bones, Alex's guitar is at its best I believe. In my personal oppion, I love the style that goes with this whole album. I like the bass in Neurotica, and how it starts out. So very cool, my fave album.

>Animate, the bass and guitar when they start their jam. It sooo Rocks!!!! I can listen to that part over and over, its so smooth.

>Sun and Moon, the beginning.

>Alien Shore, the beginning

>Speed of Love, the guitar thru all of it. Very moving, and happy sounding.

>Cold Fire, the chorus, I love how Ged sounds as hes singing it.

>Everyday Glory, the beginning half, it touches a thread there in my heart. And I usually cry when I hear it, and the guitar in it too, helps with that emotion.

>Totem, I love the drums in it. So awesome, and the chorus, and the music, it just carries me away. And Geddy's ohhs during the chorus.

>Virtuality, love the drums on the "lets dance tonite on our virtual...etc.." Very cool.

>Resist, the guitar, after Ged sings the first lines...Makes a space feel empty, and lonely.

>Peaceable Kingdome, the bass in it rocks as does the beginning noise, like Geds voice or something..

>Stars Look Down, the way Ged sings the chorus. Very cool.

>Vapor Trails, I like the beginning noise, and Geds voice as he sings the chorus, his notes.

>Secret Touch, the bass and guitar, and all the words. My favorite song on the whole album.

>Sweet Miracle, the words. The music.

I know most of my things about songs are pretty general, but sometimes its the whole collage of the song that moves me. I hope I didn't bore any of you to tears. laugh.gif

You are so great! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 26 2004, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:25 AM)
For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol  smile.gif

D, Territories was the very first song I ever heard. It was in 1985 and my best friend's brother (was a basement drummer) had just gotten the album - Territories was the first Rush song I ever heard in my life and I still love it...

Cool RR! Yea I really really like the song....may be a favourite now! trink36.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 04:43 PM)
Great stuff here. I'm glad you brought up Camera Eye. I've always heard that too and have no idea what they say. Anyone??

I can't make out the first first words spoken, but the second is 'Mornin' Guv'. I presume its to signify the London Connection.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Nov 27 2004, 03:23 AM)
This is an awesome, awesome thread!!!  Where do I begin, I am going to be here a while I guess. I am going to go thru all of it, because there is something off of almost every album that really 'gets' me...

>2112, the start of it, before they sing. The musicianship is just killer.

>Tom Sawyer, I love how the rhythm leaves you hanging... slow rocking kinda, cant explain it any better.

>Witch Hunt, same thing there, the synth, and the words...Kinda leaves me feeling eerie at what people had to go thru.

>Camera Eye, the music thru the whole thing is so enjoyable. Its been ages since I heard the song, but I remember it.

>The Analog Kid, great words, great tunes.  Makes me think of a warm summer twilite...

>Losing It.  When Alex is doing his guitar, I am guessing thats what it is, and it sounds great... Well, maybe not guitar, electric violin??? I dont know. Its been a while for that one too... Love the interesting sounds.

>Distant Early Warning, the whole damn song.  It just rocks, I cant find particular thing, but I love the bass in it, and how it starts out.  The words..

>Kid Gloves, how the song starts out.  I love that signature sound of Alexs, his own unique style that no one can ever imitate.

>Body Electric, the drums.

>Grand designs, the guitar, all of it.

>Marathon, all of it.

>Territories.  I love the beginning, and the bass in it, when Ged sings between heaven and earth, and the guitar thru the whole thing.

>Middletown Dreams, how it start out. And thru out the whole thing, how it all meshes so wonderfully together.

>Prime Mover, When he starts singing... and I get carried away.

>Turn the Page, the bass, and the excitement thru the song.  We disengage, we turn the pag...

>High Water.  The beginning drums, how it changes tones thru every other time, I am not savvy on drums, but thats how I can explain it best.  And when the bass line comes in, or is it the synth... when its no longer just the drums... I dont know how to say it better than that.

>Show Dont Tell, The chorus.

>The Pass, the guitar. As Barn put it once, it sounds as if weeping, and I believe it. A very moving song.

>War Paint, the guitar in the chorus.

>Scars, the drums and bass thru out the whole thing.  Kind of dancy in a way.  Gets me moving for sure.

>Superconductor, How they say superconductor in the chorus.  Love it.

>On all of Roll the Bones, Alex's guitar is at its best I believe. In my personal oppion, I love the style that goes with this whole album.  I like the bass in Neurotica, and how it starts out.  So very cool, my fave album.

>Animate, the bass and guitar when they start their jam.  It sooo Rocks!!!! I can listen to that part over and over, its so smooth.

>Sun and Moon, the beginning.

>Alien Shore, the beginning

>Speed of Love, the guitar thru all of it.  Very moving, and happy sounding.

>Cold Fire, the chorus, I love how Ged sounds as hes singing it.

>Everyday Glory, the beginning half, it touches a thread there in my heart. And I usually cry when I hear it, and the guitar in it too, helps with that emotion.

>Totem, I love the drums in it.  So awesome, and the chorus, and the music, it just carries me away.  And Geddy's ohhs during the chorus.

>Virtuality, love the drums on the "lets dance tonite on our virtual...etc.." Very cool.

>Resist, the guitar, after Ged sings the first lines...Makes a space feel empty, and lonely.

>Peaceable Kingdome, the bass in it rocks as does the beginning noise, like Geds voice or something..

>Stars Look Down, the way Ged sings the chorus.  Very cool.

>Vapor Trails, I like the beginning noise, and Geds voice as he sings the chorus, his notes.

>Secret Touch, the bass and guitar, and all the words.  My favorite song on the whole album.

>Sweet Miracle, the words.  The music. 

I know most of my things about songs are pretty general, but sometimes its the whole collage of the song that moves me.  I hope I didn't bore any of you to tears.  laugh.gif

You are so great! biggrin.gif

Garsh, thankeee... but why? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Nov 27 2004, 03:55 PM)
Garsh, thankeee... but why? confused13.gif

Because you brought so much excitement out through your explanations. It was awesome. biggrin.gif

OK, here's mine: I'm sure there are more, but these are ones that come to mind.

Freeze: The ending is soooo cool, I love the beat and the way you're never quite sure when its going to finish. 1022.gif

Circumstances: All of it..the sheer gutsiness of the song, very underrated. I love the keyboard bit in the middle.

Cygnus from Hemispheres: The quiet eerie bit and Geddy's bass notes in the background taken from Book I

Afterimage: Such a wonderful song - one of the best lyrically. I love the riff in the middle, makes my hairs stand up on my back. This song fills me with awe and I never tire of playing it. One of the best albums too (very profound and decades ahead of its time)

Earthshine: Cool song. The whole thing really, but I love Geddy's guitar work in the middle of the song.

Second Nature: The strings section....produced by the Fairey Engineering Orchestra from right here in Oldham, nr Manchester!

Grand Designs: The ending along with Geddy's "ooh oh.." vocals (you know what I mean)

2112: Overture....I needn't say any more about this really? biggrin.gif

Resist (acoustic off RiR): The whole damn thing..the song, the way it was played....when I saw them play this live at the NEC in Sept, I thought the projected images on the screen behind them were really cool - they looked so clear it was as if they were holographic images as they seemed to stand out from the screen. cool.gif

Crossraods: Hell what a cover.....I love the beat...you can dance to this its fab. 653.gif

The Seeker: Ditto 653.gif

Anthem: Another memory from my teenage years...the double guitar slam (can't describe any other way really, but you know what I mean) laugh.gif

The Necromancer: The vocal description (is this Neil?)...I always thought he sounded a little drunk... cool10.gif fing.gif

By-Tor and The Snow Dog (Off RiR and ATWAS): The way they use the guitars to mimic the sounds of the two animals...

The Trees: The guitar bit in the middle

Bravado off RiR: Alex's guitar at the end ..wow!

I'm sure there are more... unsure.gif

In "The Enemy Within" when the song slows down:

"To you, is it movement or is it action?

Is it contact or just reaction?..."

And then the rythm kicks back in and Geddy sings the chorus this time, but every other line:

"I'm not giving in ...

"I'm not missing out..."

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 10:40 PM)

• Totem - during the 2nd chorus in parallel with Geddy singing the word Monsters....  there is this twang sound in the background.  Listen carefully for it.  (2.27)
  • Secret Touch - at precisely 4:00, have your balance all the way on the Left channel.  Awesome little slide sound from what I think is the guitar.
  • Roll The Bones - During the final chorus, has anyone ever noticed the 'skeleton' saying "Because we're here" along with the vocals?  You have to listen really hard, but it's there.  It's the same "Because we're here" that blares out at the end of the live version.  It's actually easier to make out as the music is fading.
  • Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus. Take special notice at 3:58. The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here. They are awesome!!!

Here are some others:

• Driven - During the last verse, Neil accentuates the moment with this double hit to one of his splash cymbals. It's always been the highlight of the song for me. Found at 3.21.
  • Time Stand Still - The band goes into this energy charged drive leading into the final vocals. With the music are some sound effects I go crazy over. At 3.07 there is this ghostly, yet angelic keyboard effect that comes out of nowhere and builds louder and louder. YES!!
  • Time Stand Still - same section of music. A percussion sound effect at 3.11. There's a rac-a-tac-a-tac-a-tac sound just before Neil's snare fill. YES!!!!!! THE BEST!!
  • Limelight - Best part of the song, imo. - At the end of Alex's solo he starts plucking the rhythm which leads into the last chorus. However, there are these last few lead notes. He hits that final note, and grabs that twang bar thing on this guitar and holds that bad boy for the next 18 seconds, right behind Geddy's vocal. It's the greatest thing I think I've ever heard. 3.12
  • Half The World - I don't know how to explain this one (and I play drums). Neil and Geddy do this bass/drum triplet thing leading into Alex's Mandolin solo. Listen to how Neil changes the order in which he hits his snare. So subtle, yet GENIUS!! 2.28
  • Stick It Out - Another subtle moment of genius. During the 2nd verse, listen to that rude bell ride that Neil is doing, just when Geddy is singing "Moment of crisis". He changes the downbeat ride just for those 4 counts. Stuff like that just sets me off!!!

Ok so I must ask... is anyone trying to give these a listen? It's the subtle little moments and little sound effects that gets me to jump out of my skin!! Such an adrenlaline surge!!

Test for echo..... anyone out there?? oneone??

On Exit stage left in Xanadu, around the 2:10 point the cymbals are the only drums going and he's hitting them at the exact same time that Alex is playing his notes, it sounds so sweet, you can tell they played the song together a million times before. Edited by Indica

Where's My Thing - the keyboard swirly jangly sound.

The Pass - (turn around and turn around turn around) catchy hook.

Hemispheres - a section where Geddy sings (I have memory and awareness, but I have no shape or form) - that airy foggy keyboard sound, then the guitar comes in with Geddy's voice upfront and kills it.

Natural Science - the changing tempos

By Tor - the bluesy guitar last section of the suite before it goes into reprise of first section.

Cygnus - the intro with the bass guitar starting the 1 odd time hit, then does 2, then does 3, then back to 1.

You Bet Your Life - tail end of the song where Alex goes higher up on the scales picking great notes and Neil starts his trademark flying around the kit fills.

I guess I like the sort of surrounding loopy sounds in their music because it adds so much color and dimension to their sound.

I know that there's names for the sections I mentioned on some of the songs, but I can't think of them right now...or really, know what they're called, yet I've heard them all a million times before.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 2 2004, 08:12 AM)
Off the top of my head, the piano at the end of "The Spirit of Radio." I can't hear it on any live albums but you can hear it on PeW.

I remeber hearing it at Wembley this year. Plus it may be audible on one of my R30 boots.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Dec 2 2004, 09:28 AM)
Off the top of my head, the piano at the end of "The Spirit of Radio." I can't hear it on any live albums but you can hear it on PeW.

I remeber hearing it at Wembley this year. Plus it may be audible on one of my R30 boots.

They didn't play Freewill this year, did they? (R30) confused13.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 2 2004, 05:40 PM)

confused13.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 2 2004, 12:40 PM)

No. The did not have that on the playlist for R30.