Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

Ok folks. Over the years of listening to every niche and detail of Rush tunes. I've heard some incredible sounds nestled within the layers. It could be a slight slide on a guitar string, or a keyboard trigger, or a sound effect...

What cool stuff have you heard that would normally escape a casual ear?

As I think through some tunes I'm sure I'll remember or find plenty.. but to get things started, here's a few from the top of my head.

• Totem - during the 2nd chorus in parallel with Geddy singing the word Monsters.... there is this twang sound in the background. Listen carefully for it.
  • Secret Touch - at precisely 4:00, have your balance all the way on the Left channel. Awesome little slide sound from what I think is the guitar.
  • Roll The Bones - During the final chorus, has anyone ever noticed the 'skeleton' saying "Because we're here" along with the vocals? You have to listen really hard, but it's there. It's the same "Because we're here" that blares out at the end of the live version. It's actually easier to make out as the music is fading.

I have some others, but would like to hear from you!! What stuff have you heard? Also, tell me what you think about the three I mentioned above.

Ok, there area few good ones I have dug through

* La Villa Strangiato - I just love the way the guitar in the the guitar solo portion of the song switches from the etherial sound to the more upfront wailing sound at about 4:24

* Cygnus X-1 - The end of this song has a firey drum beat to it, but I just love the instance where the beat seems to EXPLODE with intensity at about the 9:00, mark. It serves as a very effective climax builder to the song.

* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player. They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:53 and 8:42

Edited by Moonraker
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2004, 11:09 PM)
* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player. They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:538:42

Moon - I 'think' I know what you you're talking about with the Camera Eye. I'll have to check out the song and make sure.

If I'm following what you're saying..... It's one of my favorite parts of the song! My fingers always pluck at my steering wheel to those tiny bass riffs. I love them!!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2004, 11:09 PM)
* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player.  They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:538:42

Moon - I 'think' I know what you you're talking about with the Camera Eye. I'll have to check out the song and make sure.

If I'm following what you're saying..... It's one of my favorite parts of the song! My fingers always pluck at my steering wheel to those tiny bass riffs. I love them!!

biggrin.gif

Exactly, when I am playing that song on bass, I greatly look forward to playing those bits biggrin.gif

ok here's another:

• Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus. Take special notice at 3:58. The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here. They are awesome!!!

I love the sound of the lead guitar about 10 minutes into Hemispheres.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 12:09 AM)
ok here's another:
  • Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus. Take special notice at 3:58. The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here. They are awesome!!!

Oh yeah man, that drum fill is kick ass!!! How could I forget it for this thread?!?!?! fing.gif

Ok, baby steps for me, more to follow. The end of Trees, when the birds are chirping and the dogs are barking echoing over the newly cleared land. Ok growin up fast here, same song the part right before the second verse, almost classical music sound, but better. Went from crawling to running - can't name the songs, but when Neil double times on the high hat (scuse my bad drum terms). Also when Neil does the marching band roll on the snare drum (again pardon my drum terms).

Geddy's funky bass solo's & his oh's escpecially after we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost, oh oh oh oh wo!!!

Alex's solo loss for words here - ok his signature sound.

Oh they all have there signature sounds Geddy's "Voice" and bass, again Alex, and Neil.

To much information running thru my brain, great quoting the police, sorry, must rest now.

QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:17 AM)
Ok, baby steps for me, more to follow. The end of Trees, when the birds are chirping and the dogs are barking echoing over the newly cleared land. Ok growin up fast here, same song the part right before the second verse, almost classical music sound, but better. Went from crawling to running - can't name the songs, but when Neil double times on the high hat (scuse my bad drum terms). Also when Neil does the marching band roll on the snare drum (again pardon my drum terms).
Geddy's funky bass solo's & his oh's escpecially after we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost, oh oh oh oh wo!!!
Oh they all have there signature sounds Geddy's "Voice" and bass, again Alex, and Neil.
To much information running thru my brain, great quoting the police, sorry, must rest now.

You're speaking of Bravado. yes?

QUOTE (Oberon @ Nov 27 2004, 12:18 AM)
Water sounds at the beginning of Natural Science.

Yeah - that's awesome!!

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:25 AM)
For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol smile.gif

D, Territories was the very first song I ever heard. It was in 1985 and my best friend's brother (was a basement drummer) had just gotten the album - Territories was the first Rush song I ever heard in my life and I still love it...

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 27 2004, 12:28 AM)
For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol  smile.gif

D, Territories was the very first song I ever heard. It was in 1985 and my best friend's brother (was a basement drummer) had just gotten the album - Territories was the first Rush song I ever heard in my life and I still love it...

Those are some great memories right there man. yes.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:17 AM)
Ok, baby steps for me, more to follow.  The end of Trees, when the birds are chirping and the dogs are barking echoing over the newly cleared land.  Ok growin up fast here, same song the part right before the second verse, almost classical music sound, but better. Went from crawling to running - can't name the songs, but when Neil double times on the high hat (scuse my bad drum terms).  Also when Neil does the marching band roll on the snare drum (again pardon my drum terms).

You're speaking of Bravado. yes?

Re: the oh's, yes I believe so thanks.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 26 2004, 09:28 PM)
For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol  smile.gif

Wow, that is very cool RR. I dont think I remember what the first Rush song was I have ever heard was, one of the radio hits. Anyway, I have remembered a few more in my earch for the sounds.

* Earthshine - There is a heavy, pulling sound throughout this track, for me almost as if the song is actually causing my to sink deeper within myself, mostly due to the guitar layering. Its hard to describe, but it just feels like I'm being sucked into the depths of myself when I hear it. Anyway, the sound that gets me is when the verse for 4 measures, leaves this sound and goes into that emitting 2 chord guitar hold between 3:56 and 4:09, and then slowly fades back into this heavy sound. That fade it just incredible.

* Lock and Key - I am a big fan of the backing vocal that that occurs during the repeat of the chorus. It is only present during the line, starting at abou 3:53 and ending at 4:03. Especially the line "face it in YOU or me" gets me. I have heard live versions of this song that only exentuate this aspect of the song.

* Cold Fire - Under the same pretense as Lock and Key, the vocals during "I'll be around... (etc)" with the higher notes seemed to work well with the lower noted vocal line. This is prevalent throughout most of the song, so I dont know if that qualifies as a sound instance at all.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 26 2004, 11:19 PM)
The guitar solo in Between the Wheels

Right on man! Great guitar solo in that song. I's almost like Alex was thinking that the song would always be obscure, a hidden gem, and he would just GO FOR IT!

Excellent choice. trink39.gif

This is an awesome, awesome thread!!! Where do I begin, I am going to be here a while I guess. I am going to go thru all of it, because there is something off of almost every album that really 'gets' me...

>2112, the start of it, before they sing. The musicianship is just killer.

>Tom Sawyer, I love how the rhythm leaves you hanging... slow rocking kinda, cant explain it any better.

>Witch Hunt, same thing there, the synth, and the words...Kinda leaves me feeling eerie at what people had to go thru.

>Camera Eye, the music thru the whole thing is so enjoyable. Its been ages since I heard the song, but I remember it.

>The Analog Kid, great words, great tunes. Makes me think of a warm summer twilite...

>Losing It. When Alex is doing his guitar, I am guessing thats what it is, and it sounds great... Well, maybe not guitar, electric violin??? I dont know. Its been a while for that one too... Love the interesting sounds.

>Distant Early Warning, the whole damn song. It just rocks, I cant find particular thing, but I love the bass in it, and how it starts out. The words..

>Kid Gloves, how the song starts out. I love that signature sound of Alexs, his own unique style that no one can ever imitate.

>Body Electric, the drums.

>Grand designs, the guitar, all of it.

>Marathon, all of it.

>Territories. I love the beginning, and the bass in it, when Ged sings between heaven and earth, and the guitar thru the whole thing.

>Middletown Dreams, how it start out. And thru out the whole thing, how it all meshes so wonderfully together.

>Prime Mover, When he starts singing... and I get carried away.

>Turn the Page, the bass, and the excitement thru the song. We disengage, we turn the pag...

>High Water. The beginning drums, how it changes tones thru every other time, I am not savvy on drums, but thats how I can explain it best. And when the bass line comes in, or is it the synth... when its no longer just the drums... I dont know how to say it better than that.

>Show Dont Tell, The chorus.

>The Pass, the guitar. As Barn put it once, it sounds as if weeping, and I believe it. A very moving song.

>War Paint, the guitar in the chorus.

>Scars, the drums and bass thru out the whole thing. Kind of dancy in a way. Gets me moving for sure.

>Superconductor, How they say superconductor in the chorus. Love it.

>On all of Roll the Bones, Alex's guitar is at its best I believe. In my personal oppion, I love the style that goes with this whole album. I like the bass in Neurotica, and how it starts out. So very cool, my fave album.

>Animate, the bass and guitar when they start their jam. It sooo Rocks!!!! I can listen to that part over and over, its so smooth.

>Sun and Moon, the beginning.

>Alien Shore, the beginning

>Speed of Love, the guitar thru all of it. Very moving, and happy sounding.

>Cold Fire, the chorus, I love how Ged sounds as hes singing it.

>Everyday Glory, the beginning half, it touches a thread there in my heart. And I usually cry when I hear it, and the guitar in it too, helps with that emotion.

>Totem, I love the drums in it. So awesome, and the chorus, and the music, it just carries me away. And Geddy's ohhs during the chorus.

>Virtuality, love the drums on the "lets dance tonite on our virtual...etc.." Very cool.

>Resist, the guitar, after Ged sings the first lines...Makes a space feel empty, and lonely.

>Peaceable Kingdome, the bass in it rocks as does the beginning noise, like Geds voice or something..

>Stars Look Down, the way Ged sings the chorus. Very cool.

>Vapor Trails, I like the beginning noise, and Geds voice as he sings the chorus, his notes.

>Secret Touch, the bass and guitar, and all the words. My favorite song on the whole album.

>Sweet Miracle, the words. The music.

I know most of my things about songs are pretty general, but sometimes its the whole collage of the song that moves me. I hope I didn't bore any of you to tears. laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 10:40 PM)
Ok folks.  Over the years of listening to every niche and detail of Rush tunes.  I've heard some incredible sounds nestled within the layers.  It could be a slight slide on a guitar string, or a keyboard trigger, or a sound effect...

What cool stuff have you heard that would normally escape a casual ear?

A few things that have always intrigued me:

- The Camera Eye: don't have the cd handy so I don't know the time, but during the second C#-C keyboard part, right before the solo, there's some muffled speaking in the background. I've tried many times to figure out what they're saying to no avail.

- ESL version of "Jacob's Ladder", during the 7/8-6/8 slow build, as Alex slowly raises the volume on his guitar and goes from palm-mute to regular picking, he hits an artificial harmonic that sounds so cool.

- Neil's double bass drum intro and snare sound on "One Little Victory" (and his drum sound on all of VT for that matter).

- "Evelate" from "Vital Signs"!

- "Oh, wow, what a show!...I guess that's it! [sLAM!]" at the end of ATWAS.