Great 'sounds' in the songs

• Please log in to reply
846 replies to this topic

#1 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:40 PM

Ok folks.  Over the years of listening to every niche and detail of Rush tunes.  I've heard some incredible sounds nestled within the layers.  It could be a slight slide on a guitar string, or a keyboard trigger, or a sound effect...

What cool stuff have you heard that would normally escape a casual ear?

As I think through some tunes I'm sure I'll remember or find plenty.. but to get things started, here's a few from the top of my head.
  • Totem - during the 2nd chorus in parallel with Geddy singing the word Monsters....  there is this twang sound in the background.  Listen carefully for it.
  • Secret Touch - at precisely 4:00, have your balance all the way on the Left channel.  Awesome little slide sound from what I think is the guitar.
  • Roll The Bones - During the final chorus, has anyone ever noticed the 'skeleton' saying "Because we're here" along with the vocals?  You have to listen really hard, but it's there.  It's the same "Because we're here" that blares out at the end of the live version.  It's actually easier to make out as the music is fading.

I have some others, but would like to hear from you!!  What stuff have you heard?  Also, tell me what you think about the three I mentioned above.

Sponsored Post

#2 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10868 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:06 PM

I like the strings in the second half of High Water.

#3 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

Ok, there area  few good ones I have dug through

* La Villa Strangiato - I just love the way the guitar in the the guitar solo portion of the song switches from the etherial sound to the more upfront wailing sound at about 4:24

* Cygnus X-1 - The end of this song has a firey drum beat to it, but I just love the instance where the beat seems to EXPLODE with intensity at about the 9:00, mark.  It serves as a very effective climax builder to the song.

* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player.  They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:53 and 8:42

Edited by Moonraker, 27 November 2004 - 12:49 AM.

#4 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2004, 11:09 PM)
* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player.  They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:538:42

Moon - I 'think' I know what you you're talking about with the Camera Eye.  I'll have to check out the song and make sure.

If I'm following what you're saying..... It's one of my favorite parts of the song!  My fingers always pluck at my steering wheel to those tiny bass riffs.  I love them!!

biggrin.gif  

#5 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 08:13 PM)
* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player.  They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:538:42

Moon - I 'think' I know what you you're talking about with the Camera Eye.  I'll have to check out the song and make sure.

If I'm following what you're saying..... It's one of my favorite parts of the song!  My fingers always pluck at my steering wheel to those tiny bass riffs.  I love them!!

biggrin.gif

Exactly, when I am playing that song on bass, I greatly look forward to playing those bits  biggrin.gif  

#6 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 26 2004, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 08:13 PM)
* The Camera Eye - The way the bass does those extra few notes during the slower part following the verses I just love as a bass player.  They are just tiny little notes that appear at 4:538:42

biggrin.gif

Exactly, when I am playing that song on bass, I greatly look forward to playing those bits  biggrin.gif

It's the little things like that which set me off!!  I love this shit. laugh.gif  

#7 kazzman

kazzman

I got a fever...

• Members *
  • 6263 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:19 PM

The guitar solo in Between the Wheels

The drum solo in YYZ...

#8 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:33 PM

I have always liked the beginning to 2112.  The space sounds are awesome.  Also, the beginning of Cygnus X-1 has always caught my attention.

#9 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:09 AM

ok here's another:
  • Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus.  Take special notice at 3:58.  The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here.  They are awesome!!!

#10 Oberon

Oberon

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading (in English and French), learning other languages (I'm at four right now, starting one more next year), movies, good humour (Monty Python et al.), travel

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:10 AM

I love the sound of the lead guitar about 10 minutes into Hemispheres.

#11 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

• Members *
  • 11677 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 12:09 AM)
ok here's another:
  • Red Sector A - At 3:51-4:00 listen to the keyboards as the music is entering the last chorus.  Take special notice at 3:58.  The awesome drum fill (which is one of my favs from Neil) sort of hides the keyboards here.  They are awesome!!!

Oh yeah man, that drum fill is kick ass!!!  How could I forget it for this thread?!?!?!  fing.gif  

#12 earthshine21122

earthshine21122

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

• Members *
  • 5669 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:17 AM

Ok, baby steps for me, more to follow.  The end of Trees, when the birds are chirping and the dogs are barking echoing over the newly cleared land.  Ok growin up fast here, same song the part right before the second verse, almost classical music sound, but better. Went from crawling to running - can't name the songs, but when Neil double times on the high hat (scuse my bad drum terms).  Also when Neil does the marching band roll on the snare drum (again pardon my drum terms).
Geddy's funky bass solo's & his oh's escpecially after we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost, oh oh oh oh wo!!!
Alex's solo loss for words here - ok his signature sound.
Oh they all have there signature sounds Geddy's "Voice" and bass, again Alex, and Neil.
To much information running thru my brain, great quoting the police, sorry, must rest now.

#13 Oberon

Oberon

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading (in English and French), learning other languages (I'm at four right now, starting one more next year), movies, good humour (Monty Python et al.), travel

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

Water sounds at the beginning of Natural Science.

#14 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Interests:I love going to Bethany Beach Delaware to Relax whenever i can after a long week at work

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:19 AM

I love the beginning part in Between the Wheels  

#15 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:17 AM)
Ok, baby steps for me, more to follow.  The end of Trees, when the birds are chirping and the dogs are barking echoing over the newly cleared land.  Ok growin up fast here, same song the part right before the second verse, almost classical music sound, but better. Went from crawling to running - can't name the songs, but when Neil double times on the high hat (scuse my bad drum terms).  Also when Neil does the marching band roll on the snare drum (again pardon my drum terms).
Geddy's funky bass solo's & his oh's escpecially after we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost, oh oh oh oh wo!!!
Oh they all have there signature sounds Geddy's "Voice" and bass, again Alex, and Neil.
To much information running thru my brain, great quoting the police, sorry, must rest now.

You're speaking of Bravado.  yes?

#16 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (Oberon @ Nov 27 2004, 12:18 AM)
Water sounds at the beginning of Natural Science.

Yeah - that's awesome!!

#17 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:25 AM

For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol  smile.gif  

#18 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:25 AM)
For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol  smile.gif

D, Territories was the very first song I ever heard.  It was in 1985 and my best friend's brother (was a basement drummer) had just gotten the album - Territories was the first Rush song I ever heard in my life and I still love it...

#19 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

• Members *
  • 11677 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 27 2004, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:25 AM)
For me Territories....The twangy guitar in the beginning always sounded cool and then Neils Drumming blew me away....it just fits in....Territories makes me happy lol  smile.gif

D, Territories was the very first song I ever heard.  It was in 1985 and my best friend's brother (was a basement drummer) had just gotten the album - Territories was the first Rush song I ever heard in my life and I still love it...

Those are some great memories right there man.   yes.gif  

#20 earthshine21122

earthshine21122

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

• Members *
  • 5669 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 27 2004, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (earthshine21122 @ Nov 27 2004, 12:17 AM)
Ok, baby steps for me, more to follow.  The end of Trees, when the birds are chirping and the dogs are barking echoing over the newly cleared land.  Ok growin up fast here, same song the part right before the second verse, almost classical music sound, but better. Went from crawling to running - can't name the songs, but when Neil double times on the high hat (scuse my bad drum terms).  Also when Neil does the marching band roll on the snare drum (again pardon my drum terms).

You're speaking of Bravado.  yes?

Re: the oh's, yes I believe so thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users