The Official American Idol Season 6 Thread

rushgoober

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 16 2007, 11:02 PM)
The show that gave Ryan Seacrest a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Where's that length of rope I had around here somewhere....

probably right next to my cyanide capsules wink.gif

perhaps I just don't get it, but why is American Idol so popular? what is it's apeal really? I'm not mocking, I'm serious here as I just don't get it.

That was bad. Really bad.

The last guy's rock band is horrible, I can already tell. They are a Nickleback/Hinder clone. I already know that, just from his voice and his pretty-boy looks. Terrible.

I do enjoy watching the bad-audition episodes, but to me this show represents everything wrong with the music industry today: Everything is so formulaic...there's no room for creativity or originality anywhere, and if you don't fit the certain mold of pop-star they're looking for, you don't get through. I'm not at all surprised that Simon called Bob Dylan "boring" this week. Dylan is above American Idol. If he were to audition, he woudl have been shot down. He would have been shown on one of those "look at these weird people that came in" montages. If you aren't totally videogenic, you have no chance. And kids will grow up watching this show, thinking this is all there is to music, this cookie-cutter, assembly-line brand of pop stardom.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 16 2007, 10:21 PM)

The last guy's rock band is horrible, I can already tell. They are a Nickleback/Hinder clone. I already know that, just from his voice and his pretty-boy looks. Terrible.

I do enjoy watching the bad-audition episodes, but to me this show represents everything wrong with the music industry today: Everything is so formulaic...there's no room for creativity or originality anywhere, and if you don't fit the certain mold of pop-star they're looking for, you don't get through. I'm not at all surprised that Simon called Bob Dylan "boring" this week. Dylan is above American Idol. If he were to audition, he woudl have been shot down. He would have been shown on one of those "look at these weird people that came in" montages. If you aren't totally videogenic, you have no chance. And kids will grow up watching this show, thinking this is all there is to music, this cookie-cutter, assembly-line brand of pop stardom.

I know, isn't it great? wink.gif laugh.gif

Hey, people... we know it's essentially trash TV and trash music, but we watch it anyway. It's addictive, especially once you've become emotionally involved in the contestants' success/failure. And it's a good time-waster during these cold, barren, depressing winter months; a "simple prop to occupy your time" until spring.

Don't worry, Goob. Every season of Idol and Rockstar starts out this way at TRF - a thread for it is started, the Music Gestapo chimes-in on how bad the show/music is, and then things finally settle down, with the regular watchers eventually able to freely post about the show uninterrupted.

If the Gestapo is done telling us how bad the show is, we can now get down to actually discussing its content...

Edited by GeddyRulz

I'll chime in Goob.

I love the show because it's very entertaining. It has appeal, it's very well produced and it's funny as hell. This makes the 40 million viewers a week watch the show...it's called entertainment.

Idol has produced some huge stars since it began. Chris Daughtry's debut album is the "fastest selling debut Rock album" ever ! Kelly Clarkson has sold over 20 million records, so has Carrie Underwood. Like it or not, American Idol produces stars, most of them are very good. Hell, you don't even have to win to become a star. Look at all the finalists that have major record deals right now, and one of them just won a Golden Globe for best actress!

At one point last year, 5 of the "top 10" albums were from Idol finalists. Now that says something, I think.

The show is the #1 show on television. It got that way because of it's entertainment value and very well executed business moves.

Also, the House Band is probably the best band in the industry. I dare anyone to dispute that.

I'm excited for the new season! Tonight's show, from Seattle will be some funny shit.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 17 2007, 03:53 AM)
Hey, people... we know it's essentially trash TV and trash music, but we watch it anyway. It's addictive, especially once you've become emotionally involved in the contestants' success/failure.

THANK YOU! Sheesh! wacko.gif

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. I've never bought a cd from an American Idol contestant, and I never will. I'm not into well over 95% of the songs they sing on the show. I just enjoy it for what it is and appreciate people's talent even if it's not my kind of music (unless they insist on singing non-crossover country songs, and then I can't help but exercise the mute button).

It's entertainment. It's not high culture, and it doesn't pretend to be. It's cheap, it's entertaining and it's fun. Nuff said. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 17 2007, 06:42 AM)
Shouldn't this be in NWW?

Yeah, no sh*t.

Man, Minneapolis has no talent! They said only 17 people were approved for the next round in Hollywood, out of the tens of thousands of people who auditioned! And I heard the Seattle auditions (tonight) were some of the worst ever! We'll see.

How "formulaic" could the chosen ones be? Ruben Studdard (winner, season 2) was an overweight black man with zero choreography, and last season's winner was a prematurely gray dude with spastic dance moves. Mandisa, an overweight and un-sexy black woman, made the top 12, as did Kevin Covais, a geeky high school student with glasses and a little piping voice. Chris Daughtry, a "rocker" who should appeal to our musical sensibilities, made the final four last year, and was the front-runner to win it all.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 17 2007, 04:18 AM)
Man, Minneapolis has no talent! They said only 17 people were approved for the next round in Hollywood, out of the tens of thousands of people who auditioned!

I think they said that there were about 10,000 people who came to Minneapolis and 100,000 that auditioned in total. That would make 170 people going to Hollywood if you extend the numbers, so that's about right, and it actually seems a little high.

I don't know quite how all the judging works, but I know for a fact that most people don't appear in front of Randy, Paula and Simon. I used to work with a woman whose granddaughter applied for Idol, and she was auditioned, but by someone else, and she didn't get through even far enough to see the 3 main judges. That makes total sense though as it would take weeks to see 10,000 people just them.

BTW, didn't Jewel look f*cking HOT last night? firedevil.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 17 2007, 08:31 AM)
Intervention time for Paula Abdul?

that is sad indeed, ive said to my wife for years, she is always hopped up on booze and painkillers, its painfully obvious.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 17 2007, 05:28 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 17 2007, 04:18 AM)
Man, Minneapolis has no talent!  They said only 17 people were approved for the next round in Hollywood, out of the tens of thousands of people who auditioned!

I think they said that there were about 10,000 people who came to Minneapolis and 100,000 that auditioned in total. That would make 170 people going to Hollywood if you extend the numbers, so that's about right, and it actually seems a little high.

I don't know quite how all the judging works, but I know for a fact that most people don't appear in front of Randy, Paula and Simon. I used to work with a woman whose granddaughter applied for Idol, and she was auditioned, but by someone else, and she didn't get through even far enough to see the 3 main judges. That makes total sense though as it would take weeks to see 10,000 people just them.

BTW, didn't Jewel look f*cking HOT last night? firedevil.gif

See, I thought they said 10,000 people auditioned and only 17 made it.

There is an entire "pre-screening" and "pre-audition" process that is in place. They are all video taped too.

Remember, everything you see has been heavily edited. So some of the clips you see are not in the same room with the judges.

And YES Goob, Jewel looked as good as I've ever seen her. Momma!! wub.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 17 2007, 06:17 AM)

Yeah, no sh*t.

Why? Because only females would like such drivel? Hmmm????

angry.gif

I'm just yankin' yer chain. Sorta. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 17 2007, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 17 2007, 06:17 AM)

Yeah, no sh*t.

Why? Because only females would like such drivel? Hmmm????

angry.gif

I'm just yankin' yer chain. Sorta. wink.gif tongue.gif

Naah, I was just needling the guys that like it. Plus, I really don't see the attraction of this show but my wife loves it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the viewership of this show is predominantly female.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 17 2007, 02:21 AM)

My god man!!!!!!! When I read this I stood up and yelled "AMEN!!!!!" at the top of my lungs. This is the best post so far this year.

Shows like American Idol just lower the standards of the music industry. Its the worst thing thats ever happened to music.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 17 2007, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 17 2007, 08:31 AM)
Intervention time for Paula Abdul?

that is sad indeed, ive said to my wife for years, she is always hopped up on booze and painkillers, its painfully obvious.

Yeah, I had seen this before.

Sometimes I wonder if this kind of thing is staged. Well, I don't doubt that she's using something, since it's far from the first time she's come off looking all drugged up and goofy, but maybe what I'm saying is that this kind of thing is encouraged.

Is it just me, or does it seem that every year on idol there's more and more extra-circular drama surrounding the show than the previous season? I bet they love that stuff as it just gets them more publicity. It just adds to the general circus atmosphere of the show. tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 17 2007, 09:58 AM)
Shows like American Idol just lower the standards of the music industry.  Its the worst thing thats ever happened to music.

The standards were pretty much lowered to the very bottom anyway. Didn't you know that music has been dead and over for many years now? We're just enjoying watching the dregs fight for supremacy at the bottom of the barrel.

The music industry was already a trainwreck that killed all of the passengers. Now it's just being televised. tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober