It's obvious why Tai Shan and High Water

treeduck

Why are Tai Shan and High Water so much weaker than the rest of Hold your Fire? I mean they're ok, not as hideous as some people make out on here, but they are a steep drop off from the rest of HYF. So why is that? Well I think it's pretty obvious...

In 1987 albums lengths were expanding to fit in with CD capabilities for holding data. When Rush came to record Hold your Fire it must have been decided that at least 10 songs were required. Rush had been used to 8 song albums or less; the previous 3 were 8, then 7, 6, 4 and so on. The first 8 tunes on HYF are all excellent but the two "extra" tracks that they had to come up with in the same studio time as usual don't quite cut the mustard. Ok 6 months longer between records as the previous few, but then everyone was going 2 years between records by then...

So am I right or am I right?

• Like 2

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 3 2007, 03:11 PM)
Thats funny because I think they are the two strongest tracks on the CD (well except for mission). I guess it all depends on individual taste.

Yeah it is down to personal taste but you have to admit in this case SS that you're in a minority...

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 04:12 PM)
Thats funny because I think they are the two strongest tracks on the CD (well except for mission).  I guess it all depends on individual taste.

Yeah it is down to personal taste but you have to admit in this case SS that you're in a minority...

"broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction and many are the ones finding it!"

Who cares what everyone else thinks? Except you of course! wink.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 3 2007, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 04:12 PM)
Thats funny because I think they are the two strongest tracks on the CD (well except for mission).  I guess it all depends on individual taste.

"broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction and many are the ones finding it!"

Who cares what everyone else thinks? Except you of course! wink.gif

confused13.gif

I think you make a valid point. Hold Your Fire has a total running time of 50:21. Prior to Hold Your Fire only two albums (excluding live albums) approached that length - Power Windows at 44:30 and Caress of Steel at 44:51 - both of which had over 5 minutes LESS music. From 2112 through Moving Pictures only one album ran over 40 minutes - Moving Pictures at 40:04. It's hard to sustain a particular level of quality over the length of a CD. For many, Hold Your Fire was the last of the great Rush albums and the length of CDs may have played into that. There's too much filler nowadays!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 12:07 PM)
Why are Tai Shan and High Water so much weaker than the rest of Hold your Fire? I mean they're ok, not as hideous as some people make out on here, but they are a steep drop off from the rest of HYF. So why is that? Well I think it's pretty obvious...

In 1987 albums lengths were expanding to fit in with CD capabilities for holding data. When Rush came to record Hold your Fire it must have been decided that at least 10 songs were required. Rush had been used to 8 song albums or less; the previous 3 were 8, then 7, 6, 4 and so on. The first 8 tunes on HYF are all excellent but the two "extra" tracks that they had to come up with in the same studio time as usual don't quite cut the mustard. Ok 6 months longer between records as the previous few, but then everyone was going 2 years between records by then...

I've been saying this exact thing for years. yes.gif

Hey, Treeduck, check it out we agreed on something! ohmy.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 3 2007, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 12:07 PM)

I've been saying this exact thing for years. yes.gif

Hey, Treeduck, check it out we agreed on something! ohmy.gif tongue.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jan 3 2007, 12:09 PM)
Nope, they didn't write Tai Shan and High Water last. Force Ten was actually the last song they wrote for HYF.

This may be true, but while Force Ten (and all of the first 8 songs for that matter) were outstanding, the last two tracks were very weak. Still I rate HYF as my 4th favorite Rush album based solely on the amazing strength of everything prior to Tai Shan and High Water. Maybe it's only because the first 8 songs ARE so good that the 2 final ones pale in comparison.

I think both songs are a step above Second Nature and Prime Mover. And I actually like Tai Shan a lot.

It's all a matter of taste. Some love every song on Hold Your Fire. I don't, I think it's got just a bit of filler, but I still consider it a great album. It's just that most Rush fans happen to like the last two songs the least or not at all. But I'm sure I'm not the only Rush fan who loves every song but Second Nature and Prime Mover (which I still like, but don't love).

Edited by Finbar

This is from the poll on TF:

What do you think is the best song from this album?

Force Ten [ 51 ] [15.50%]

Time Stand Still [ 83 ] [25.23%]

Open Secrets [ 27 ] [8.21%]

Second Nature [ 17 ] [5.17%]

Prime Mover [ 36 ] [10.94%]

Lock and Key [ 20 ] [6.08%]

Mission [ 49 ] [14.89%]

Turn The Page [ 27 ] [8.21%]

Tai Shan [ 9 ] [2.74%]

High Water [ 10 ] [3.04%]

Tai Shan and High Water are definitely bottom of the barrel for the majority of Rush fans as far as HYF is concerned.

Tree, I think you may be right, and its probably why High Water and Tai Shan are the weaker tracks.

I dont think it has anything to do with album placement either. I could rearange the tracklist, and still probably skip these two tracks, plus "Second Nature" (Which I REALLY don't like).

I'm amazed this hasn't been mentioned...Tai Shan sounds a bit weaker because it's a...err....SOFT BALLAD. It's not meant to be a powerhouse track.

And High Water is actually my favourite song on HYF, so I disagree.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 3 2007, 04:50 PM)
This is from the poll on TF:

What do you think is the best song from this album?

Force Ten [ 51 ] [15.50%]
Time Stand Still [ 83 ] [25.23%]
Open Secrets [ 27 ] [8.21%]
Second Nature [ 17 ] [5.17%]
Prime Mover [ 36 ] [10.94%]
Lock and Key [ 20 ] [6.08%]
Mission [ 49 ] [14.89%]
Turn The Page [ 27 ] [8.21%]
Tai Shan [ 9 ] [2.74%]
High Water [ 10 ] [3.04%]

Tai Shan and High Water are definitely bottom of the barrel for the majority of Rush fans as far as HYF is concerned.

But these poll numbers just don't mean much to me,as one of my very favorite Rush albums. I would choose High Water and Prime Mover at the top of my list with the top vote getter,Time Stand Still at the bottom.Tai Shan sets up High Water perfectly for a great album closing.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 03:07 PM)

I'm luke warm (or slightly warmer) on High Water, but Tai Shan is in my top 3 on this record....and one of the most beautiful and original songs Rush has ever done.

So I'm going to opt for you being...wrong. :0

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jan 3 2007, 03:09 PM)
Nope, they didn't write Tai Shan and High Water last. Force Ten was actually the last song they wrote for HYF.

Hmmmm...

1287.gif

This is true. Force Ten was their gratuitous "let's come up with something sponateous" to end the session.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 3 2007, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 03:07 PM)

I'm luke warm (or slightly warmer) on High Water, but Tai Shan is in my top 3 on this record....and one of the most beautiful and original songs Rush has ever done.

So I'm going to opt for you being...wrong. :0

wink.gif

Also...even if you call Tai Shan say the worst song on HYF, compared to the worst songs on other Rush albums (Dog Years, say...or Hand Over Fist...or You Bet Your Life, I Think I'm Going Bald, etc.) it's a damn musical classic. It is anyhow, but certainly by comparison. wink.gif At least you can't call Tai Shan a filler track. It has so much more passion (lyrically) and originality (musically) than most of what passes for Rush "filler" it's not quite fair to dismiss such a song as "slapped together nonsense."

SO THERE

biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation