Least favorite song?

yyz

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For once, this is an easy question for me to answer. Because I think, on the whole, that Rush's output is so phenomenal, I have a have short list from which to choose.

Upon due reflection, it has got to be Take a Friend. I don't know, I just find that song so cheesy it makes my skin crawl at times.

I would have to go with Tears. I have tried to get into that song so many times, considering it's on 2112 which is my favorite album, but I have never liked it. I mean, it has good lyrics, but the song is just bad. Maybe it's too slow for me, I don't know. Alright I have put in my 2 cents worth laugh.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 24 2004, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 24 2004, 01:32 PM)
Dog Years...can't get my head around it.

I was going to put that as well, but I like it a lot better than Tears. Does anyone else dislike Heresy from Roll the Bones or is it just me? confused13.gif

It took me a long time to like this song. Two things made it happen for me. One was watching Neil play it and talk about how he built the drum parts for the song in his Work in Progress video. The other has always been the lyric in the bridge:

"I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time"

Those two lines say soooo much.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 24 2004, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 24 2004, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 24 2004, 01:32 PM)
Dog Years...can't get my head around it.

I was going to put that as well, but I like it a lot better than Tears. Does anyone else dislike Heresy from Roll the Bones or is it just me? confused13.gif

It took me a long time to like this song. Two things made it happen for me. One was watching Neil play it and talk about how he built the drum parts for the song in his Work in Progress video. The other has always been the lyric in the bridge:

"I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time"

Those two lines say soooo much.

I see. I haven't gotten that video yet, I am going to get it for Christmas. A lot of people tell me it's really good. Can't wait to watch it. Perhaps I'll like it a lot better after I see the video.

My least favorite??? Oh man I'm gonna get killed for this.

It's Rivendell. I remember my buddy's cassette tape of Fly By Night. So much rockin' music... and then THIS would come on. Oh brother. And it never ends!!!!! It's almost 5 freakin' minutes!!!!! The radio was on a shelf in the garage and it was just a pain in the ass to go and fast forward the song. So, we'd suffer through it - it was horrible.

I never read the books and have absolutely no connection or interest in the lyric. However, I did listen to it a few weeks ago in the car. I forced myself to let it play through. I must admit, it wasn't as awful as I remember it back in the old daze.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 24 2004, 02:26 PM)
My least favorite??? Oh man I'm gonna get killed for this.

It's Rivendell. I remember my buddy's cassette tape of Fly By Night. So much rockin' music... and then THIS would come on. Oh brother. And it never ends!!!!! It's almost 5 freakin' minutes!!!!! The radio was on a shelf in the garage and it was just a pain in the ass to go and fast forward the song. So, we'd suffer through it - it was horrible.

I never read the books and have absolutely no connection or interest in the lyric. However, I did listen to it a few weeks ago in the car. I forced myself to let it play through. I must admit, it wasn't as awful as I remember it back in the old daze.

I have never actually listened to Rivendell. I have just always sort of skipped over it. Maybe it's because it wasn't all that good and I never took the time to give it a chance. Maybe you're right, I'm going to have to listen to it and see what I think.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 24 2004, 02:36 PM)
Dont feel bad Pag, I cant stand Rivendell either. There are a few songs that I usually hit fast forward through, including I Think I'm Going Bald, Virtuality, and Dog Years, but Rivendell by far is the hardest to stomach.

I Think I'm Going Bald is hilarious!!! It's gotta be the comic relief of Caress of Steel. Is it just meant to be a funny song or what?

QUOTE (Rejuven8angel @ Nov 24 2004, 02:45 PM)
NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

Well I just joined this forum today and I must agree with some of you. Rivendell is one of their weaker songs. The rest of the fly by night is brilliant.

Yes it is. The rest of Fly By Night is great, and welcome to the forum!!! trink39.gif trink36.gif joker.gif cheer.gif common001.gif bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif bekloppt.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 24 2004, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (yyz @ Nov 24 2004, 02:40 PM)
Dog years lyrics are kind of umm pathetic. laugh.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif They aren't the greatest... confused13.gif LOL.gif

I read somewhere that the lyrics were written to Dog Years during a Neil drinking session. Lol, You can thank Maltus for the inspiration to that one wink.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 24 2004, 02:49 PM)

I read somewhere that the lyrics were written to Dog Years during a Neil drinking session. Lol, You can thank Maltus for the inspiration to that one wink.gif

I see. Never knew that one. See, you learn something new everyday!!! yes.gif

While I wouldn't put it at the forefront of any submissions I was making on why Rush are a good band, Rivendell has its merits. It's fragile, niavely simply and has a innocent purity about it.

If I was to piivk a least favourite, well, I was going to say virtuality (or whatever its called) until another posted reminded me that there was a song called Heresay, which, frankly, I am so in denial about due to its naffness that i had suceeded in forgetting it.

But, hey, over 30 years if you don't make the odd mistake you aren't experimenting enough - the willingness to produce different stuff each time which results in the odd Dog Years also gives us (for more) Xanadus, Secret Touches et al....

Disco

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 24 2004, 03:53 PM)

Ha! Lyrics were made during a drinking session with Neil. Somehow that makes sence, ya know...being drunk and all, stating all the most obvious facts in your lyrics. laugh.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Nov 24 2004, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 24 2004, 03:53 PM)

Ha! Lyrics were made during a drinking session with Neil. Somehow that makes sence, ya know...being drunk and all, stating all the most obvious facts in your lyrics. laugh.gif

Yeah I guess that's true. You don't want to have 5 beers and then say signs015.gif signs015.gif signs015.gif signs015.gif signs015.gif signs015.gif signs015.gif signs015.gif and then write lyrics.

I couldn't pick a worst Rush song, but I tend to skip the following:

Take a Friend

Fly By Night (It's an OK song, but I've heard it WAAAAAAAY too many times)

Rivendell

Lessons

Tears

Closer to the Heart (see Fly by Night)

Madrigal

The Trees (See CttH and FBN)

Chemistry

Countdown

Grand Designs

Emotion Detector

Tai Shan

Face Up

Heresy

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Stick it Out

Nobody's Hero (I think this would probably have to be my least avourite)

Speed of Love

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

Dog Years

Resist

Sweet Miracle

Show Don't Tell or Superconductor or Stick It Out, depending on which is playing. Also Neurotica is awful.

QUOTE (Oberon @ Nov 25 2004, 05:13 PM)
Show Don't Tell or Superconductor or Stick It Out, depending on which is playing. Also Neurotica is awful.

Show Don't Tell is alright. I can only listen to it sometimes if I am in the mood. I mean, songs like La Villa and YYZ you never get tired of hearing, and you can pop them in anytime and they are so great. Can't go wrong with these picks.

Archived