Possibly Why Most Chicks Aren't Rush Chicks

petsounds75

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (LunarMermaid32 @ Nov 23 2004, 05:41 PM)
Hey, to embrace my Southern-ness, I thought I'd edit my signature with my sorority letters. Because all southern girls are in sororities, y'all know that, right?

http://www.appstate.edu/~prattlc/week.gif

Love that sig, LM32!!!!

Would make my own, but I can't get the Greek alphabet for ALEX....

AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 23 2004, 09:09 PM)
I've hung with Rush chicks, Van Halen chicks, metal chicks, hip-hop chicks...

Ass-kissing aside, I found the Rush chicks to be the coolest.

I leave NO kissing aside. ALL over. That's my policy wink.gif

joker.gif

wow, What a topic to start in the female section of the Rush forum. I'm not sure what to say. Almost every girlfriend I ever had liked rush. Not quite as much as I do but that would be asking for a lot since they have been my favorite band since the mid to late 1970's.

Jesus, guys I was making a generalization observation. I'm not saying that what I said is ALL TRUE.

Ok, so some of you are from the South. Big woop. I know that not every person down there is some nose picking moron. I was talking about from what I've seen and put it out there as a guess.

That doesn't make it engraved in stone.

And the fact is, I could be wrong in some areas.

My god, sorry I f**king posted that stuff. Didn't know I couldn't express a guess on something.

You're welcome to express opinions. I feel one of the things that makes our board so much fun is the variety of opinions, experiences, and points of view of our members.

But don't be surprised when people come back with their OWN takes on a particular topic.

Actually, you sparked one of the liveliest conversations we've had lately. Thanks. biggrin.gif

And I STILL love that Beach Boys album! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (petsounds75 @ Nov 24 2004, 06:01 AM)
Jesus, guys I was making a generalization observation. I'm not saying that what I said is ALL TRUE.

Ok, so some of you are from the South. Big woop. I know that not every person down there is some nose picking moron. I was talking about from what I've seen and put it out there as a guess.

That doesn't make it engraved in stone.

And the fact is, I could be wrong in some areas.

My god, sorry I f**king posted that stuff. Didn't know I couldn't express a guess on something.

Of course you're welcome to put your opinion out there! We've all done it. I just am always careful when posting generalizations about any group. I think it wasn't WHAT your message said as much as HOW you said it. I said in my original post that I knew what you were getting at, and I still do.

You just might want to think a little more about it next time, that's all.

QUOTE (petsounds75 @ Nov 24 2004, 07:01 AM)
I know that not every person down there is some nose picking moron. I was talking about from what I've seen and put it out there as a guess.

I suppose you have to know where to look. The air isn't always filled with creepy banjo music here.

BTW, southern woman, 2.gif fan, college grad and published author, and I do read Danuelle Steel (I don't always like it, it's more of a recon thing).

I'll echo everyone's statements about feeling free to post your opinion. But, did you really expect that none of us would feel a bit...slighted? The tone of the post immediately made me feel as if you were sneering at women, southern ones in particular.

But, yes, this has been a lively thread. Thanks for getting it going.

Bad bad thing to read before my morning coffee... firedevil.gif

Wasn't one of the first things you learn in school is to not make a generalisation??? Not to stereotype???? Good Lord, Rush women are very articulate for the most part, and intellegent. We 'get' Rush. (I'm stereotyping, for a joke. So laugh!) But I have found it true. Get to know the women on this board, and you will be changing your mind in a big hurry, my Pet. And as for looks, Look at Barneys avatar! Hell, look at all of our pictures, you wont find a better looking group of women anywhere on a Rush forum. The men here are lucky to be blessed with us, you in particular my Pet. So, deal with it, I can see why you haven't caught your self a 'bunny' yet. Maybe they are smarter than you think....

K, I am done ranting, you have my sincerest apologies. upyours.gif

NICE, AGP!!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As far as this thread goes... I agree with BSG in that this has been one of the liveliest of converstations lately. . . I also can sort of understand where the author of this post was coming from, "sort of." But I stick behind the other ladies here when I have to disagree with most everything else said in the thread, and also disagree with how it was presented. This was, after all, posted in the Rush Sisterhood forum; there was obviously going to be some rebuttles from us. And I have to stand by what I said in my first post. Making generalizations, especially negative ones, just doesn't rub me the right way.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Nov 24 2004, 11:03 AM)
Bad bad thing to read before my morning coffee... firedevil.gif

Wasn't one of the first things you learn in school is to not make a generalisation??? Not to stereotype???? Good Lord, Rush women are very articulate for the most part, and intellegent. We 'get' Rush. (I'm stereotyping, for a joke. So laugh!) But I have found it true. Get to know the women on this board, and you will be changing your mind in a big hurry, my Pet. And as for looks, Look at Barneys avatar! Hell, look at all of our pictures, you wont find a better looking group of women anywhere on a Rush forum. The men here are lucky to be blessed with us, you in particular my Pet. So, deal with it, I can see why you haven't caught your self a 'bunny' yet. Maybe they are smarter than you think....

K, I am done ranting, you have my sincerest apologies. upyours.gif

My avatar is soooo damn sweet,

that's all I have to say wub.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (petsounds75 @ Nov 23 2004, 01:44 AM)
Let's face facts, folks.  When it comes to innovative music, food for thought type stuff that is more complex than some skinny chick singing "put up a parking lot", that seems to be more of a male oriented type of thing.  It's lyrics that describe building, science, fantasy, strange territory. 

I'm not trying to be a male pig here, but most AMERICAN chicks seem to like a lot of simplistic garbage music that's simply written, memorable and a good hook.  Guys, who give much less of a shit about "keeping up with everyone else" would be more prone to listen to Rush because of the heavy and intelligent feel of it all.  The lyrics are intricate, but understandable, the music is sketchy at times but colorful, very warm and bright. 

Now I've noticed more northern American chicks, those with great sarcastic humor tendencies and intelligence that totally wastes away those...ahem, southern girls who seem to believe any Danielle Steele type trash you throw at them...I do feel that when it comes to the female audience of Rush, it's just much smaller. 

You're not going to find a bunch of fake ruff-n-tuff guys with the intelligence of a brick at a Rush show, you just aren't.  Save that for the Toby Keith audience.  What you're going to find is usually intelligent, sometimes not the most physically appearance guys there with the occasional pothead lurking around, waiting for some 2112 and Tom Sawyer. 

Most chicks I know personally like things pre-packaged, sugar coated and sold for much more than it's worth.  Rush is definetly not of that calibre.  They're real meat and potatoes, colorful and all in their wonderful images and interesting subject matter.  You're not going to find that at Top 40 type audiences or country music audiences.  It's just simple fact...in my mind.  I COULD BE WRONG...but that's how it seems.

Now if I could just find a beautiful snow bunny Canadian girl to shoot the breeze with intelligent conversation and get my freak on with.  Oh well, can't have everything.  bumper.gif

chickendance.gif cheer.gif 1022.gif

well I don't know how the situation is in Canada or the US, but as far as I'm concerned I don't agree with what you have written here.

Over here in europe I see quite a lot of women in the music scene that is considered 'the food for thought' genre. I have seen Rush on two occasions on their last tour, Germany and Holland. I have seen a lot of women on both occasions. Also, in my personal enviroment there are quite a lot of women who like this kind of stuff...

I think the topic should be: there are relatively few people who actually like: innovative music, food for thought type stuff that is more complex than some skinny chick singing "put up a parking lot"

At my workingplace there are about 300 people, most of them in their twenties like me. About 90% of them have studied, but guess what music they like? Right: the typical garbage that comes on MTV. Britney 'Oops i think I'm a star' Spears and stuff like that. Unbelievable.

Most people I know personally like things pre-packaged, sugar coated and sold for much more than it's worth. Rush is definetly not of that calibre. So it is not a 'chick' thing. It is a people thing.

Take the Rush concert in the Netherlands on October 1st 2004 for instance, it attracted an audience of about 12,000 people. Add about 10,000 people to that and you have all the people in the Netherlands who actually listen to 'thinkers' music. Considering that there are about 16 million people living in Holland, that is about 0,14 procent of the entire Dutch population!

Man that sucks

Wow, petsounds75, it's very funny that you think things like this in your head...and then say them !!!!

But, if truth be told, I'm torn, for there is a little part of what our dear friend says that resonates with me. Gather round fellow posters and I shall whisper it quietly....there's part of me that thinks it's weird for chicks (sorry dames) to dig Rush.

Now, I'm far from saying that the women folk shouldn't dig the band, quite the converse, the more the merrier I say but, well, my head would be confused if a girl I was dating said she liked them. It would be the melding of worlds that should not meet .

You know, Rush=Boys, whereas Long Conversations About Shoes=Girls

I like this distinction in the world. Girls being into deeply into stuff that I understand but cannot appreciate give the laideez, sorry ladies, a mystery and intoxicating allure ("Yes, it does have a kitten heel, and yes, it it does have wonderful faux-diamonds on the strap, tell me agian why I should be apoplectic with joy").

Take away this distinciton and the ladies, surely, sadly, loss some of there mystery.

All these fine words and fancy talk is one thing, but how have these views been demonstrated in my life. Well,

a) My dear brother once said "But you could never really respect a girl who like Rush could you (please direct your [well justified] flames to my brother not me)

cool.gif I went out with a beautiful French girl for 4 years and made a secret vow that in all that time i would never play, or cause to be palyed to her, any Rush.; i was as good as my word.

c) At the rush gig at wembley there was an exquisitly beautiful girl (wait, there's more) dancing away to By-Tor and the Snow dog, I had to watch her rather than the band ont he gorunds that that is fair rarer than Rush playing England.

Love to you all

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Nov 24 2004, 03:42 PM)
Wow, petsounds75, it's very funny that you think things like this in your head...and then say them !!!!

But, if truth be told, I'm torn, for there is a little part of what our dear friend says that resonates with me. Gather round fellow posters and I shall whisper it quietly....there's part of me that thinks it's weird for chicks (sorry dames) to dig Rush.

Now, I'm far from saying that the women folk shouldn't dig the band, quite the converse, the more the merrier I say but, well, my head would be confused if a girl I was dating said she liked them. It would be the melding of worlds that should not meet .

You know, Rush=Boys, whereas Long Conversations About Shoes=Girls

I like this distinction in the world. Girls being into deeply into stuff that I understand but cannot appreciate give the laideez, sorry ladies, a mystery and intoxicating allure ("Yes, it does have a kitten heel, and yes, it it does have wonderful faux-diamonds on the strap, tell me agian why I should be apoplectic with joy").

Take away this distinciton and the ladies, surely, sadly, loss some of there mystery.

All these fine words and fancy talk is one thing, but how have these views been demonstrated in my life. Well,

a) My dear brother once said "But you could never really respect a girl who like Rush could you (please direct your [well justified] flames to my brother not me)

cool.gif I went out with a beautiful French girl for 4 years and made a secret vow that in all that time i would never play, or cause to be palyed to her, any Rush.; i was as good as my word.

c) At the rush gig at wembley there was an exquisitly beautiful girl (wait, there's more) dancing away to By-Tor and the Snow dog, I had to watch her rather than the band ont he gorunds that that is fair rarer than Rush playing England.

Love to you all

Disco

I might implore you to read not only my first post in this thread, but some from the other lady Rush fans. Other than that, I have nothing to say about this post.

Archived