The Pass

o baterista

ooooo I love the pass. 'specially live, in rio! On the Presto Album, I thought Lee's vocals were.... rather worse than usual. But I still loved the song, and the lyrics, I found amazing.

QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 28 2004, 10:42 AM)
The subject matter is so emotional. I mean, how much more serious can it get than for someone to contemplate ending it all? It's a universal theme, and not just for adolescents.

All of us get lost in the darkness
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars

Yes indeed. I liked it when they played it during Rush in Rio and had the movie going on in the backround on the big screen. Very emotional song, and one of the best. yes.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Nov 28 2004, 02:15 PM)
i forgot what tour it was...GEDDY LEE was like "we'd like to play one of our favorite songs right now...'

i was like ohmy.gif

"this is THE PASS"

no.gif

I'm pretty sure he said that during the Vapor Trails tour. You don't agree that it should be one of their favorite songs? tongue.gif

"We like to do something now that goes back a few years. This is one of our very favourites, this is called The Pass." I noticed that Neil was more serious during the performing of this song. In the documentary video at the Rio-DVD, he said he never thought he could play it, because it was so emotional. What does it mean, I wonder.

I read something that said Neil Peart wrote those lyrics after his daughter and wife died. But after a while, and finding out that they didn't die until 96', I knew that couldn't have been right... So why was Neil so inspired to write those lyrics? Was he depressed? For what reason (There are my questions for whoever can answer them)?

Guest NoDeity

The song is about teen suicide. Teen suicide increased dramaically in the latter half of the 20th century and it is one of the leading causes of death among young people in Canada. It's not hard to understand how a thoughtful and serious-minded person like Neil Peart would be touched by those facts.

The Pass is a meaningful song about a difficult and painful subject. Neil says, ""There was a lot I wanted to address in that song, and it's probably one of the hardest ones I've ever written. I spent a lot of time on it, refining it, and even more doing research" (quoted on p.197 of Robert Telleria's Rush Tribute: Merely Players). So, apparently, it's a song in which Neil invested a lot of himself.

QUOTE (NoDeity @ Jan 20 2005, 03:54 AM)
The song is about teen suicide. Teen suicide increased dramaically in the latter half of the 20th century and it is one of the leading causes of death among young people in Canada. It's not hard to understand how a thoughtful and serious-minded person like Neil Peart would be touched by those facts.

The Pass is a meaningful song about a difficult and painful subject. Neil says, ""There was a lot I wanted to address in that song, and it's probably one of the hardest ones I've ever written. I spent a lot of time on it, refining it, and even more doing research" (quoted on p.197 of Robert Telleria's Rush Tribute: Merely Players). So, apparently, it's a song in which Neil invested a lot of himself.

yes.gif Nailed it.

Incidentally....Welcome to the Forum trink39.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Yes indeed, The Pass is up there with the best. And does anybody else think that playing Bravado directly after it is inspired. One of the best moments on RIR for me. Musically both songs are in the same mold / mood and the lyrics complement each other perfectly. However, being one of the bands (and apparently the fans) favourites didn't stop them leaving it out of the R30 setlist sad.gif as well as every other song on Presto (massively underrated disc imo). Still, I got to see Between The Wheels played live in the UK. Huzzah biggrin.gif

Keep it Rush. AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (nova67 @ Feb 12 2005, 03:22 AM)
Yes indeed, The Pass is up there with the best. And does anybody else think that playing Bravado directly after it is inspired. One of the best moments on RIR for me. Musically both songs are in the same mold / mood and the lyrics complement each other perfectly. However, being one of the bands (and apparently the fans) favourites didn't stop them leaving it out of the R30 setlist sad.gif as well as every other song on Presto (massively underrated disc imo). Still, I got to see Between The Wheels played live in the UK. Huzzah biggrin.gif

Keep it Rush. AlexFinal.gif

The trasition from The Pass to Bravado is without a dobut very moving. It's one of my favorite moments on the Rush In Rio DVD.

It's not as if this barricade blocks the only road. It's not like you're all alone in wanting to explode....great stuff! One of the best from Presto. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My favorite song on Presto by a longshot. Song helped me through some dark times when I did think of ending it all. That and Supertramp's It's Raining Again(notice how both songs are in same key of B flat).

biggrin.gif I am glad so many of you really like THE PASS it is one of my all time favourites ( definately in my top five) because of all the things that you guys have mentioned previously.The song is so emotional and it leaves a lump in my throat everytime I hear it. I am happy that it is a favourite of Geddy and Alex as well as these are real powerful lyrics from Neil. 2.gif

I love The Pass as this song completely destroys the myth that suicide can be a heroic end to a tragic life.The act is one of cowardice more than anything else. 2.gif

Uh, have you not heard that song?!

It's amazing! And touching! And meaningful, both musically and lyrically. It's just a beautiful song is the point I'm trying to get across, I guess. tongue.gif

Archived