What bands' whole catalogues do you own?

Finbar

I just recently completed my Rush collection. I was wondering, how many people out there on TRF own every Rush album? And, for those who don't, how many of you own the first album and most recent album, Rush and Vapour Trails? And, aside from Rush, what other artists' entire discographies/bookends do you own?

Here's mine! biggrin.gif

Entire Discographies:

- Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Only the first six (four not counting live albums) are worth it. Stop there. Take it from me.

- King Crimson. My babies.

- The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Only three albums, it's not hard.

- The Mars Volta. Well I did, until Amputechture came out. I plan to remedy that soon...

- The Arcade Fire. Honourable mention 'cause I own the self-titled EP and the album Funeral, both autographed by drummer Dane Mills, even though he's only on the EP and not the album.

- The Dave Brubeck Quartet. I have a box set with Time Out, Time Further Out, etc. I'm not sure if this counts 'cause I don't have any other Dave Brubeck.

- 2.gif And I only got into them last month!

- I can't think of any others right now... but I'm sure there are others.

Bookends:

- Herbie Hancock. I've got Takin' Off and Possibilities, yes. I've also got a bunch of other wonderful Herbie Hancock albums. I highly recommend Thrust, my favourite!

- Huh... I think that's it. For some reason I figured I had more.

So, yeah! I wanna hear from you guys, my fellow Rush fans! What entire discographies/bookends do you own?

edit: I just remembered, I also own both the Black Mages albums. Awesome stuff.

Edited by Finbar

ENTIRE discographies are tough, if for no other reason than in my experience, most groups don't know when to call it quits. That is, most gropus at some point "lose it" where their newer material doesn't match the quality of the earlier material, and I lose interest rapidly. It's rare that a group can maintain a high enough quality over the course of a long career for me to keep up with them start to finish.

Then there's the obvious question of what to do about groups that only made 1, 2 or 3 albums. There are a LOT of groups in that category where I have all their albums, but is that really much of an accomplishment?

In terms of groups that have a LOT of albums, the most noatble groups for me where I have their entire collections are Rush, Popol Vuh and Jefferson Airplane (while they were still called Jefferson Airplane, that is). I too have all the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but that's not hard, and there are a lot of groups that made 1-4 albums where I have all their stuff...

I have quite a few, but more interestingly, I have a number of acts entire back catalogue on Vinyl and CD.

They are(chest swelling with manly pride):

Rush

Yes

Queen

VDGG

King Crimson

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Genesis

Other back catalogues I have on CD, are:

Peter Gabriel

Husker Du

The Replacements

Pixies

Mahavishnu Orchestra

There's more, but my brain is mush today for some reason........

• Like 1

Rush

Devin Townsend and Strapping Young Lad

Pantera (excluding their cheesy 80s stuff)

The Darkness (not hard)

Slipknot

Mudvayne

36 Crazyfists

Soilwork

A Perfect Circle

Fear Factory

Ozzy

Working hard on: Opeth, In Flames

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2006, 03:57 AM)
I have quite a few, but more interestingly, I have a number of acts entire back catalogue on Vinyl and CD.

They are(chest swelling with manly pride):

Rush
Yes
Queen
VDGG
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Genesis

This list is a great example of why I generally DON'T have complete discographies of certain artists, as these are mostly groups I really love.

Rush is an exception as I have SUCH a high level of devotion to them and have loved them for so long that I'll get every album they put out, even though I haven't been as crazy about most of their latter stuff compared to their earlier and mid-period stuff.

Yes is a great example. I have pretty much everything of theirs up through the early 80's, but then I lost interest as their material seemed to lose quality. The same with Genesis. I have all the Peter Gabriel era stuff, and one or two of Phil Collins, and then it was too different a band for me to relaly pursue. I could see getting an album or two beyond where I stopped, but certainly by the time of their mid-80's very poppy stuff, this wasn't a band I would follow.

King Crimson - it's a tough band because there are SO many diferent lineups with only Robert Fripp as a constant. I have all their 70's stuff and like or love most of it. When they reformed in the 80's, I have 2 of the 3 albums from that era, and while I like it ok, I don't like it anywhere near as much as their early stuff and I never listen to it anymore. I've stopped pursuing their subsequent works.

With Pink Floyd, I got all the way through the Wall, but what I've heard of The Final Cut does NOT encourage me to buy it. Similarly, I happened to inherit A Momentary Lapse of Reason, which is worth owning for Learning to Fly if nothing else, but I don't play it, and I just didn't care enough to bother with The Division Bell. By this time, this was not the same band I used to know and love.

With Led Zeppelin, I actually DO own all their albums (with the exception of Coda which I never heard good things about). The death of John Bonham ended their career, but I have no doubt had they continued for years to make albums, at some point I would have stopped, as their later stuff, while still very good, was not quite the classic level of their earlier and mid-period stuff.

I really have never found a group that makes it for 20-plus years that has their later/latest albums be anywhere near the same level as their earlier/mid albums. It seems either no one can maintain the level of creativity, or they change so much that it's a new direction that has no interest to me...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2006, 04:22 PM)

Rush is an exception as I have SUCH a high level of devotion to them and have loved them for so long that I'll get every album they put out, even though I haven't been as crazy about most of their latter stuff compared to their earlier and mid-period stuff.

That's exactly how I feel about the bands I've listed.

I mean, I didn't buy "We Can't Dance" expecting to be blown away. And I wasn't.

Ditto "Coda".

Ditto "Open Your Eyes".

These are the albums that I have:

Rush:

1. Rush

2. Fly By Night

3. Caress Of Steel

4. 2112

5. A Farewell To Kings

6. Hemispheres

7. Permanent Waves

8. Moving Pictures

9. Signals

10. Grace Under Pressure

11. Power Windows

12. Hold Your Fire

13. Presto

14. Roll The Bones

15. Counterparts

16. Test For Echo

17. Vapor Trails

Rush Solo:

1. My Favorite Headache

2. Victor

Enigma:

1. Mcmxc Ad

2. The Cross Of Changes

3. Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi

4. The Screen Behind The Mirror

5. Voyageur

6. A Posteriori

Babbu Maan:

1. Tu Meri Miss India

2. Saaun Di Jhadi

3. Ohi Chann Ohi Rataan

4. Pyass

5. Rabb Ne Banaiyan Jodiean

unsure.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 13 2006, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2006, 04:22 PM)

That's exactly how I feel about the bands I've listed.

I mean, I didn't buy "We Can't Dance" expecting to be blown away. And I wasn't.

Ditto "Coda".

Ditto "Open Your Eyes".

Maybe that's the difference. There really are no other bands I feel the emotional connection I feel with Rush. I'm actually quite glad about that, otherwise I'd feel obligated to buy crappy album after crappy album from groups that ceased putting out stellar material years ago. I really don't see the point.

Rush - except Rush In Rio CD

Suzanne Vega

Kitchens of Distinction

Led Zeppelin

I almost have all of Genesis except "Abacab", "Invisible Touch", "We Can't Dance", and the 90's one with the different singer. I plan on getting "Abacab" but will not get the others.

I almost have of of Yes except anything between "Union" and "Magnification".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 13 2006, 09:54 AM)
Rush - except Rush In Rio CD
Suzanne Vega
Kitchens of Distinction
Led Zeppelin

I almost have all of Genesis except "Abacab", "Invisible Touch", "We Can't Dance", and the 90's one with the different singer. I plan on getting "Abacab" but will not get the others.

I almost have of of Yes except anything between "Union" and "Magnification".

"Invisible Touch" and "We Can't Dance" were pretty good albums I thought. I had them both on cd at one time. As for "Calling All Stations", now that was a pitiful album. unsure.gif

Edited by Ru5h F@n

Rush

Mike Oldfield

U2

NOFX

Rancid

Pennywise

Millencolin

Me first and the gimme gimmes

Weezer

Victor tongue.gif

that's all, and I'm trying to get all the beatles, I already baught Sgt.Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road and Let it Be.

• Like 1

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2006, 07:34 PM)
sonilink, i love you for supporting my presidency run in your sig! yes.gif common001.gif bekloppt.gif

Goober for President! biggrin.gif

A man with idea needs all the avilable support!

I'm happy to help :7up yes.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Nov 13 2006, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 13 2006, 07:34 PM)
sonilink, i love you for supporting my presidency run in your sig! yes.gif  common001.gif  bekloppt.gif

Goober for President! biggrin.gif

A man with idea needs all the avilable support!

I'm happy to help :7up yes.gif common001.gif

The 2008 campaign is starting extra early I see...

Ok, I was really curious how many groups I truly did have the entire catalogs of. Here they are. I have only included bands that made at least 3 albums, because if we were going to consider bands at artists that made only 1 or 2 albums, I would have hundreds of groups on this list:

Rush

West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Syd Barrett

Strawberry Alarm Clock

Ya Ho Wa 13

Portishead

Popol Vuh

Jefferson Airplane

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Finch

Pearls Before Swine

Nick Drake