Tangerine Dream

rushgoober

This is another in my continuing series of groups you probably never heard of, and probably don't care about if you have, but are actually quality bands.

Anyway, Tangerine Dream are probably best known for the soundtrack to Risky Business back in the early 80's (the instrumental music in the movie, not the Bob Seger song tongue.gif ), but their history goes back to 1970's Electronic Meditation, and includes over 75 albums in total, including many movie soundtracks, most of which were more obscure than Risky Business (although Theif and Firestarter are somewhat known).

Anyway, they are a unique group in that they focus exclusively on electronic instrumental music (with the rare exception), and were really the masters of the genre through the 70's and somewhat into the 80's. They still made some good music after the mid-80's, but most of what I've heard since then became a bit sterile and watered down, not to mention less adventurous.

Anyway, they made some really fantastic atmospheric music. Any fans??? unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 24 2006, 07:29 PM)
This is another in my continuing series of groups you probably never heard of, and probably don't care about if you have, but are actually quality bands.

Anyway, Tangerine Dream are probably best known for the soundtrack to Risky Business back in the early 80's (the instrumental music in the movie, not the Bob Seger song tongue.gif ), but their history goes back to 1970's Electronic Meditation, and includes over 75 albums in total, including many movie soundtracks, most of which were more obscure than Risky Business (although Theif and Firestarter are somewhat known).

Anyway, they are a unique group in that they focus exclusively on electronic instrumental music (with the rare exception), and were really the masters of the genre through the 70's and somewhat into the 80's. They still made some good music after the mid-80's, but most of what I've heard since then became a bit sterile and watered down, not to mention less adventurous.

Anyway, they made some really fantastic atmospheric music. Any fans??? unsure.gif

laurette has seen them live, she says it was great head music, i myself am not familiar with them.

...skinning up in my bedroom in my mid-teens and then sitting on the sofa as the organic soundscapes of Rubycon washed over our minds was a formative musical experience, and really opened the doors for me to psychodelic music, but more so to soundscapes.

Who knows without that maybe I wouldn't have my love house and ambient.

The great thing about TD was the idea, long expansive washes of music with themes gradually weaving in and out, drifting from mood to mood.

Their problem was that they weren't very good at it.

Up until just a few days ago you used to be able to 170 CDs of their bootlegs (with the band's knwoledge) for Euros 50 thanks to the enormous efforst of some of their fans. Tangerine Trees closes down

Disco

Edited by Disco

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Oct 24 2006, 05:43 PM)
I downloaded Phaedra. Bored me to death. I saw two of there records at a music store in my town. So if I ever get around to getting a record player I'll pick those two up and give them a try.

ohmy.gif Actually Phaedra is one of my favorites that includes one of the longest mellotron solos I've heard in my life. A lot of albums, however, are a lot more active and fast-paced than Phaedra...

QUOTE (Disco @ Oct 25 2006, 06:27 AM)
...skinning up in my bedroom in my mid-teens sitting and then sitting on the sofa as the organic soundscapes of Rubycon washed over our minds was a formative musical experience, and really opened the doors for me to psychodelic music, but more so to soundscapes.

Who knwos without that maybe I wouldn't have my love house and ambient.

The gerat thing about TD was the idea, long expansive washes of music with themes gradually weaving in and out, drifing from mood to mood.

Their problem was that they weren't very good at it.

Up until just a few days ago you used to be able to 170 CDs of their bootlegs (with the band's knwoledge) for Euros 50 thanks to the enormous efforst of some of their fans. Tangerine Trees closes down

Disco

I'll have to disagree with you about them not being very good at it.

I will admit that the albums varied in quality, and that some are far better than others, but I think they had a lot of truly great ones and were the best at what they did. Sure, others took what they did and made also very cool music, but no one did it quite like them, and at the least, their level of innovation propelled electronic music forward enormously. Hell, companies built new equipment for them all the time, so without them, electronic music wouldn't have advanced as far and as fast as it did...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 25 2006, 05:43 PM)
Phaedra is one of my favorites that includes one of the longest mellotron solos I've heard in my life.

Love that quote, love YOU. It's quotes like that that make me heart.gif TRF !!!

Where, where else in my life I ask you, am I going to hear anything like those words. Tears are coming to my ears, I feel like I'm home. Hey, gather round everyone, feel this moment and what we have!! C'mon, everybody, everybody, Group Hug!!!!

Now to business, just which are the key Tangerine Dream albums? [how good does it feel to say that at?].

Rubycon, masterpeice.

Underwater Sunlight, good later stuff.

Le Parc and Poland, good examples of their slick work.

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Oct 25 2006, 08:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 25 2006, 05:43 PM)
Phaedra is one of my favorites that includes one of the longest mellotron solos I've heard in my life.

Love that quote, love YOU. It's quotes like that that make me heart.gif TRF !!!

Right back at ya, man! smile.gif

Now to business, just which are the key Tangerine Dream albums? [how good does it feel to say that at?].

Rubycon, masterpeice.

Underwater Sunlight, good later stuff.

Le Parc and Poland, good examples of their slick work.

I must say that I'm a bit confused to hear you say masterpiece, good later stuff, good examples of their slick work and also to say "they weren't very good at it".

Anyway, I can only wish I was more familiar with all their work to give even more recommendations, but these ones are stellar IMHO:

Electronic Meditation (1970)

Phaedra (1974)

Stratosfear (1976)

Encore (1977)

Force Majeure (1979)

White Eagle (1982)

Hyperborea (1983)

Poland (1984)

Really though, there are a lot more great ones too. I'll have to listen more. I feel myself on the verge of a big Tangerine Dream kick, so I'll report more as I re-digest some albums.

Peace,

Gary

biggrin.gif

...and I have, or have had, most of those albums - so I must like them more than I appreciate!! But, to an extent I stand by it, Encore, yeah, great, but it could be sooo much better if they were really musical.

In the pre-internet days of my youth Electronic Meditation was a bit of a Holy Grail, an obscure virtually-impossible to find early album. Those days passing has its pros and cons.... old.gif

For me what I do love about them is the very organic feel of their early-mid 70s work, I miss that warmth in so much of today's electronic music. When you hear what was going on in German electronic music in the 70s you really appreciate that, not withstanding some astonshingly good work, 'my generation' of electronic musicians (basically the 90s) didn't really push these things much further forward.

Some of this I think has to do with the fact that the main drug that electronic music was aimed at then was E, rather than acid/dope/shrooms, and this meant that basic repetition was much more favoured.

Nonetheless, I do see a clear line of connection between what TD were doing in the 70s and some of the progressive house of today - a series of sounds, with layers coming in and out taking you on *cliche alert* a journey.

Disco

Edited by Disco

...and get ready for a massive nay seismic re-surgence in the popularity of the band the the fans affectionately call (when they can be bothered to talk thru their dope lethargy) "The Dream"

Yes, my fellow fans of electronic noodling, none other than Tom Middleton, UK's uber-DJ, remixer and artist - and of course one half of the legendary Global Communication ( notworthy.gif hail, hail we are not worthy notworthy.gif ) , has just released the track-listing for his latest compilation - The Trip 2. And what should he have chosen for the triumphant last track of disc 2?

My friends, nothing other than "The Dream's" 'Love on a Real Train'!!!! How about that!!!

Tracklisting

This heralds the very first time I know of the legends they call "The Dream" have been featured on a cool electronica album in the UK. Expect legions of new fans to march up to the record racks and fall in love with their mid-70s classics, and for the pubs to be filled again with conversations about after about 1982 they were crap...

Exciting days.

Disco

Tangerine Dream is excellent!

They have a killer 4 cd box set that spans throughout most of their career. I believe it is out of print though.

My two favorite TD cds are "Force Majeure" and the "Thief" Soundtrack. Pretty good flick too starring James Caan.

I think TD also did "Risky Business" and a sci fi flick called "Wavelength."

Good stuff!

Earl

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 25 2006, 10:43 AM)
I downloaded Phaedra. Bored me to death. I saw two of there records at a music store in my town. So if I ever get around to getting a record player I'll pick those two up and give them a try.

ohmy.gif Actually Phaedra is one of my favorites that includes one of the longest mellotron solos I've heard in my life. A lot of albums, however, are a lot more active and fast-paced than Phaedra...

More like every album. tongue.gif

Edited by deadwing2112

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Oct 26 2006, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 25 2006, 10:43 AM)

More like every album. tongue.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I remember them doing the soundtrack for a rather cheesy fantasy movie called Legend that starred a young Tom Cruise, Mia sara and Tim Curry as this devil called Darkness. The music was fairly good as I recall.

...and who could forget the theme music to Streethawk which they did?

It went like this bu, bu, bu, ba...oh, shit I've forgotten how it went.

Anyway, t'was a track from the 80s 'hit' Le Parc.

d

Edited by Disco

I was listening to Ulrich Schanuss yesterday, who is a bit of an underground legend in electronica cirlces. His website

He cites "The Dream" as an influence, and I do think, out of all the German electronic music out there at the moment, he's the clearest descendant of "The Dream", especially their early 80s stuff.

Now, some people rave about this guy (People raving on Amazon). Personally I don't think he's that good. The songs follow a fairly predicatable pattern of repeating layers of sound coming in and building up into lush sounscapes and the sonic pallette is a bit limited (ooh, how pretentious) but if "The Dream" rocks your world he's well worth checking out.

One of the things that marks his music out is that's it sounds like love...

Disco

Edited by Disco

Yeah, I need some of their albums. I've heard great things about their early, ambient releases. Goob has recommended Electronic Meditation and I've heard "Movements of a Visionary" from Phaedra which I thought was pretty good. Anyone here have Zeit or Atem ?

They have a killer 4 cd box set that spans throughout most of their career. I believe it is out of print though.

My two favorite TD cds are "Force Majeure" and the "Thief" Soundtrack. Pretty good flick too starring James Caan.

Good stuff!

Earl

Whatever happened to Rush Goober? I really liked him!

I've been obsessed again with Tangerine Dream. I fukking love them sooooo much!!!!!

This thread goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.

Glad I found it.

I haven't changed in 12 years.

I just added the "Wavelength" soundtrack on my iPhone. I was shocked it was on there.

I just watched "Risky Business" last week. Amazing soundtrack.

"Firestarter" too.

A legendary band.

I always thought that back in the really early 70's John Carpenter was influenced by Tangerine Dream.

But then I actually thought that when John became famous for his soundtrack scores that Tangerine Dream actually became influenced in the 80's my John's master works.

It's just incredible.

I love it all.

I am a synth whore.

Listening to "Le Parc" tonight. I actually had this cassette when I was a kid in high school.

Love it all!

Good stuff!

Earl

Whatever happened to Rush Goober? I really liked him!

I've been obsessed again with Tangerine Dream. I fukking love them sooooo much!!!!!

This thread goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.

Glad I found it.

I haven't changed in 12 years.

I just added the "Wavelength" soundtrack on my iPhone. I was shocked it was on there.

I just watched "Risky Business" last week. Amazing soundtrack.

"Firestarter" too.

A legendary band.

I always thought that back in the really early 70's John Carpenter was influenced by Tangerine Dream.

But then I actually thought that when John became famous for his soundtrack scores that Tangerine Dream actually became influenced in the 80's my John's master works.

It's just incredible.

I love it all.

I am a synth whore.

Listening to "Le Parc" tonight. I actually had this cassette when I was a kid in high school.

Love it all!

Steven Wilson is part of a massive new release of Tangerine Dream’s classic era recordings

TANGERINE DREAM ‘IN SEARCH OF HADES’ BOX SET ANNOUNCED WITH NEW SW REMIXES

APRIL 14, 2019

A major Tangerine Dream box set has been confirmed for release by Universal. The 16 CD / 2 Blu-Ray set has been a long time in the making.

Pre-order from Super Deluxe Edition: http://smarturl.it/td-isoh-sde

Pre-order from Burning Shed: http://smarturl.it/td-isoh-bs

Tangerine Dream were one of the true pioneers of electronic and ambient music and the albums they recorded for Virgin Records between 1973 and 1979 remain classics of the genre. ‘In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973 – 1979’ is the definitive statement of this period in Tangerine Dream’s history, featuring newly remastered versions of the albums ‘Phaedra’, ‘Rubycon’, ‘Ricochet’, ‘Stratosfear’, ‘Encore’, ‘Cyclone’ and ‘Force Majeure’ all drawn from the original first generation master tapes.

My role was to create new stereo and 5.1 mixes of whatever could be found of the original album multitrack tapes, but that turned out to be only Ricochet and 2 tracks from Phaedra. However, a number of reels of unreleased music were also found, such that ‘In Search of Hades’ also includes a generous 8 CDs of previously unreleased material. Perhaps most notable amongst these is the previously unreleased full soundtrack to ‘Oedipus Tyrannus’ (75 minutes) recorded in July 1974. Extracts from these recording sessions have previously been included on Rubycon, Encore and the Virgin sampler album ‘V’, but the full 75 minute recording has for the first time been mixed in stereo and 5.1 for the box set.

Also newly mixed and included are 2 CDs worth of previously unreleased pieces from the Phaedra sessions, and a 15 minute out-take from Rubycon. Finally, 3 London concerts recorded by the Manor Mobile are included in full (Victoria Palace Theatre in 1974, The Rainbow Theatre in 1974 and Royal Albert Hall in 1975).

The box set also features 2 Blu-Ray discs featuring the stereo and 5.1 remixes of ‘Phaedra’, ‘Oedipus Tyrannus’ and ‘Ricochet’ in high resolution, along with a 1976 German TV performance and BBC Old Grey Whistle Test broadcast of Tangerine Dream at Coventry Cathedral.

In Search of Hades is lavishly packaged with a hardback book featuring new liner notes (including some by myself) and rare photographs and memorabilia.

As a big Tangerine Dream fan myself, I’ve waited a long time for a definitive set covering their classic period, so of course was very happy to be involved in putting this one together. If you are a fan too please note that, as with many of these lavish box set editions, it’s likely to be strictly a limited one-off pressing run, so don’t hesitate to pick it up!

A friend of mine discovered them through the "Thief" movie.

He got me into the early-mid 70s material: Phaedra, Zeit, Stratosfear, Ricochet, Rubycon. Freaky stuff. Great textures with liberal use of mellotron.

I remember doing acid as a stupid teenager, walking around my stunted hometown with Phaedra on my walkman, tripping balls.

It was the first time I encountered P Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" video on a wall of department store tvs. Whoa Nelly! :o

Phaedra is still one of my faves.

v2010-phaedra-gatefold.png