Stephen King fest

treeduck

Finished 11/22/63 in one week. I couldn't stop listening. The butterfly effect theory is always awesome to explore. *spoiler alert* It was awful all the pain and agony he endured to save Kennedy just to have to "reset" vía "the rabbit hole. And, he still lost the girl. I thought the ending was kind of ripped off from A "Twillight Zone" episode that I once saw.

What was weird was that there was so much right wing hatred for JFK, yet a communist was the lone gunman. I can't see how King would assume that LHO missing the shot would push the country back to the right, even to the point of nukes being dropped all over the world.

The story was awesome though, with the pinnacle being when Jake fell and LHO shot Sadie. That was awful.

How can King get away with using the word "n****r" so much in his books? I'm on my fourth SK novel and he has used the word at least 10 times in each of those books.

Bump. I want an answer to this.

How can King get away with using the word "n****r" so much in his books? I'm on my fourth SK novel and he has used the word at least 10 times in each of those books.

He doesn't use it in every book. I don't remember the last time I saw it, and I've read 15~ books in the last four months.

Because the sad truth is that a lot of old Yankee New Englanders use the word a lot. I think it appears in his book predominantly in either a quote, or what a character is thinking, if my memory serves me correctly. He also uses terms like "Jewsers" for Levi jeans, and "mackerel snappers" for Catholics. Terms that I, equally sadly, have heard used by New Englanders of a certain age.

• Like 2

He possibly uses it to accurately display the interior lives & thought processes of certain characters.

• Like 1

Because the sad truth is that a lot of old Yankee New Englanders use the word a lot. I think it appears in his book predominantly in either a quote, or what a character is thinking, if my memory serves me correctly. He also uses terms like "Jewsers" for Levi jeans, and "mackerel snappers" for Catholics. Terms that I, equally sadly, have heard used by New Englanders of a certain age.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT. Thanks for being honest. Yes, he does use it in quotes, or what a character is thinking, but, still, I can't believe he isn't called on it in this day and age. Aren't a lot of books banned from public schools on account of this.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT. Thanks for being honest. Yes, he does use it in quotes, or what a character is thinking, but, still, I can't believe he isn't called on it in this day and age. Aren't a lot of books banned from public schools on account of this.

I don't think King worries about public schools banning his books.

Finished 11/22/63 in one week. I couldn't stop listening. The butterfly effect theory is always awesome to explore. *spoiler alert* It was awful all the pain and agony he endured to save Kennedy just to have to "reset" vía "the rabbit hole. And, he still lost the girl. I thought the ending was kind of ripped off from A "Twillight Zone" episode that I once saw.

What was weird was that there was so much right wing hatred for JFK, yet a communist was the lone gunman. I can't see how King would assume that LHO missing the shot would push the country back to the right, even to the point of nukes being dropped all over the world.

The story was awesome though, with the pinnacle being when Jake fell and LHO shot Sadie. That was awful.

I know what you mean.

I know what you mean.

Baby! :hi:

I know what you mean.

Baby! :hi:

Duck! :hi: