Stephen King fest

treeduck

Treeduck, what novels of King do you rate most highly?

Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Dead Zone, It, The Stand.

I remember Salem's Lot as being really scary when I read it as a kid.

Yeah it's a great one, the atmosphere is incredible. I like it how builds up; everything is safe at first but with a a sense of impending doom and foreboding and it gradually builds towards outright fear and terror!

Edited by treeduck

Two of those were on my list!

Will check out It next. Is that the one with the clown? They freak me out so I think its for me!

Will check out It next. Is that the one with the clown? They freak me out so I think its for me!

This is the guy who created people's fear of clowns!

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In fact Salem's Lot is the only book of King's I actually still have now.

Have you not read it recently?

I was going to start it a couple of months back but never got round to it.

What you need to do is wait till your schedule is a bit free then you've got extra time so you can stay up late into the wee hours, cos that's the best time to read it!

• Like 1

Excellent! No point approaching horror if one cannot face their own fears!

Which ones did you say you liked out of those?

• Like 1

It and The Dead Zone

It and The Dead Zone

Well then you know all about the clown don't you, IT is the story involving Pennywise.

• Like 1

It and The Dead Zone

Well then you know all about the clown don't you, IT is the story involving Pennywise.

I recognised the title and its on a short list including The Dome...I hadn't looked into it but I had hoped it was the Pennywise novel.

What's interesting is that there are so many of his books (I've read them all) that I simply can't remember what they were about anymore. I'm sure if I started talking to someone else who has read them it would refresh my memory. Some times I think about going back and rereading them, but there are so many books out there that I haven't read, that doesn't seem to make sense. So they all sit on a book shelf downstairs, waiting for my kids to get old enough to discover how great his works are.

Anyone ever read his nonfiction book Danse Macabre? It's his analysis of the horror fiction genre. I have it somewhere. It was written in the late 70s or early 80s I would guess. It is fascinating. And his stories about his own youth are part of the reason I love his work so much. As another typical, but bookish, New Englander, I relate to him and his characters.

Never read Stephen King until I joined Audible. I knew his books were long and that I'd never finish, but the Audible thing is awesome. I started with Mr. Mercedes and finished that in 4 days. Now, it's 11/22/63, which, so far, is the shizznit! I've downloaded Finders Keeprs for my next book.

I think I'm gonna go backwards with the books. I notice, so far, that he makes references to other place names, etc. in his other books; does he do this in every book?

Anyway, I f***ing love what I've listened to, so far, and it sure has helped with the boredom on the road. I hope I can listen to all his boooks, one day.

• Like 1

What's interesting is that there are so many of his books (I've read them all) that I simply can't remember what they were about anymore. I'm sure if I started talking to someone else who has read them it would refresh my memory. Some times I think about going back and rereading them, but there are so many books out there that I haven't read, that doesn't seem to make sense. So they all sit on a book shelf downstairs, waiting for my kids to get old enough to discover how great his works are.

Anyone ever read his nonfiction book Danse Macabre? It's his analysis of the horror fiction genre. I have it somewhere. It was written in the late 70s or early 80s I would guess. It is fascinating. And his stories about his own youth are part of the reason I love his work so much. As another typical, but bookish, New Englander, I relate to him and his characters.

Never read Stephen King until I joined Audible. I knew his books were long and that I'd never finish, but the Audible thing is awesome. I started with Mr. Mercedes and finished that in 4 days. Now, it's 11/22/63, which, so far, is the shizznit! I've downloaded Finders Keeprs for my next book.

I think I'm gonna go backwards with the books. I notice, so far, that he makes references to other place names, etc. in his other books; does he do this in every book?

Anyway, I f***ing love what I've listened to, so far, and it sure has helped with the boredom on the road. I hope I can listen to all his boooks, one day.

He does it a lot AR. I'd start with Salem's Lot and go forward. Skip the Dark Tower series until the end. With many characters it helps to know who they were when you first met them. And books like Doctor Sleep won't make sense if you haven't read The Shining.

Welcome! You're going to love it here. Money back guarantee.

I am attempting to read Danse Macabre, but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

It's more like a text book, but I found his insights fascinating.

He does it a lot AR. I'd start with Salem's Lot and go forward. Skip the Dark Tower series until the end. With many characters it helps to know who they were when you first met them. And books like Doctor Sleep won't make sense if you haven't read The Shining.

OK. I'm glad you told me that. Gonna save me a lot of confusion. Thanks!

The narrators make these audio books so awesome, especially if they can do a lot of different voices. The guy narrating 11/22/63 nails Kennedy's accent, the Maine accent, the Texas accent, and the German accent. Awesome!

Was Dallas really as rough, in the 60s as he describes?

OK. I'm glad you told me that. Gonna save me a lot of confusion. Thanks!

The narrators make these audio books so awesome, especially if they can do a lot of different voices. The guy narrating 11/22/63 nails Kennedy's accent, the Maine accent, the Texas accent, and the German accent. Awesome!

Was Dallas really as rough, in the 60s as he describes?

I don't know, but he does meticulous research into his books, so I would say the parts that are tracking the actual story are probably spot on.