Stephen King fest

treeduck

I got Joyland this week, but I'm hip deep in Ezekiel and a stack of commentaries so it will be a while before I get to it.

The Dark Tower series is worth reading. The ending pissed a lot of people off, but after waiting since the early 1980s to get to the end I was hit right up side the head. I couldn't read anything else for about six weeks after that ending. It was apocalyptic and BIG on a scale that has rarely been reached by most writers. And yes I said "writer". Stephen King is not an "author".

That series is a struggle and a chore at times, but also a punch in the face. Who else in the modern era can slip one in on you like that?

I also think that everything he has written after that series has been better and better.

I got Joyland this week, but I'm hip deep in Ezekiel and a stack of commentaries so it will be a while before I get to it.

The Dark Tower series is worth reading. The ending pissed a lot of people off, but after waiting since the early 1980s to get to the end I was hit right up side the head. I couldn't read anything else for about six weeks after that ending. It was apocalyptic and BIG on a scale that has rarely been reached by most writers. And yes I said "writer". Stephen King is not an "author".

That series is a struggle and a chore at times, but also a punch in the face. Who else in the modern era can slip one in on you like that?

I also think that everything he has written after that series has been better and better.

I thought the ending of The Dark Tower was great. I understand what you mean by being hit upside the head. I'm not sure what I expected to happen, but I was surprised and thought it was a very good ending. The series did drag a bit here and there but after 20 years of reading it I wasn't going to stop. At one point when he had the car accident it seemed like he might stop writing and I was concerned we'd never get the end of the series.

This month I've read Carrie, Salems Lot, The Colorado Kid, CUJO and am now starting Christine. The Colorado Kid was slow and bland. I kept hoping it would get exciting and it never did, would not recommend it to anybody. Carrie, Salems Lot and CUJO were all great.

Just started the The Dark Tower. I heard the ending sucks. I hope I'm not too disappointed.

Wow, I started book 7 in February? I am only now starting to finish it. Got stuck doing a bunch of schoolwork after, got distracted and forgot about it. Picked it up again last week and now I'm almost done. What next? Wind Through the Keyhole? Doctor Sleep?

Just started the The Dark Tower. I heard the ending sucks. I hope I'm not too disappointed.

Wow, I started book 7 in February? I am only now starting to finish it. Got stuck doing a bunch of schoolwork after, got distracted and forgot about it. Picked it up again last week and now I'm almost done. What next? Wind Through the Keyhole? Doctor Sleep?

Wind Through The Keyhole and then Christine

I recently read my favourite KING novel again and it was just as good as ever. I can't reveal the name of the novel until I've the end of the KING FEST when I'll be reading it again and reviewing it!

The KING FEST will resume soon, (in a few weeks).

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3245/different.jpg

I took my time with this one and I really enjoyed it. Much more than last time. My favourite story is still The Body but the other stories are all good too, especially Apt Pupil that I found too dark back in 1987. This time I found it good black chiller about corruption and murder. The final winter story about the club I notice was dedicated to Peter Straub and it reminded me of Straub's work slightly.

Ok this was the last one I read before the (mystery) one i just read...and that was 4 years ago, I slacked off a bit but I'm going to be back into it soon...

I'll also intersperse a few novels by other people, which I may or may not mention...(I wanted to use the word intersperse as well to be honest...)

Edited by treeduck

I recently read my favourite KING novel again and it was just as good as ever. I can't reveal the name of the novel until I've the end of the KING FEST when I'll be reading it again and reviewing it!

The KING FEST will resume soon, (in a few weeks).

How many King books have you read? I started book 35 today.

• Like 1

Great topic, great writer. Been reading and following King for about 40 years. I've read and own about 98% of his published work. Like Rush, He's been a major part of my life since my first book Carrie, back in '76. Always looking forward to his next release.
  • Like 2

Great topic, great writer. Been reading and following King for about 40 years. I've read and own about 98% of his published work. Like Rush, He's been a major part of my life since my first book Carrie, back in '76. Always looking forward to his next release.

Does your user name refer to the Dark Tower series?

I am really enjoying the stand.

Where next? I researched him and was pleased that he has more than just horror in his repertoire!

But that also means I have too much choice and have no clue what is good King or bad King.

The Stand is a top five book for me. Even if the ending let's me down (not there yet), the patient build up over what could have been an overblown mess is tense, expertly paced, and chillingly believable.

Treeduck, we may disagree on things from time to time, but I am loving your analysis of his books.

I have been a huge fan of his work for more than 30 years. I would read his earlier works first, like Salem's Lot, Carrie and The Shining. If you enjoyed The Stand, I think you'll like It. But if you're just getting into his writings, I'd actually suggest you get some of his compilations like Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual, etc. Lots of great stories you can bang out quickly. If you're looking for diversity, go with Different Seasons.

King is by far my favorite author ever. Not because of his subject matter. Because when I read his books, I feel like I'm watching the story develop. I don't realize I'm reading.

• Like 4

King is by far my favorite author ever. Not because of his subject matter. Because he's a BoSox homer.

Fixed

• Like 1

I have been a huge fan of his work for more than 30 years. I would read his earlier works first, like Salem's Lot, Carrie and The Shining. If you enjoyed The Stand, I think you'll like It. But if you're just getting into his writings, I'd actually suggest you get some of his compilations like Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual, etc. Lots of great stories you can bang out quickly. If you're looking for diversity, go with Different Seasons.

King is by far my favorite author ever. Not because of his subject matter. Because when I read his books, I feel like I'm watching the story develop. I don't realize I'm reading.

I have been a little hesitant of his books because I found all but two of the film adaptations boring.

But I was wrong to assume his writing would be lacking. It isn't.

I just hope I haven't raised the bar too high starting with the stand!