Any Buckethead fans in here?

treeduck

I'm a big fan of Buckethead, anyone else like him in here?

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6869/bucketman6ar.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1242/bucketheadliveagain2yh.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7939/sguitar8pf.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1299/bucketpedals4hp.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7360/bucketbanjo7bl.jpg

• Like 1

I had the good fortune to see Buckethead last wednesday at the Orange Peel here in Asheville.

Opening the show was "that 1 guy". Check out the myspace link below for songs and to see his instrument. That 1 guy has invented this crazy instrument. Essentially its some steel pipes with two sections each with one string. Attached to the pipes were various drum sequencers. The whole runs through some type of computer. He came out with a bow and starting playing this thing like a cello in a classical manner. Most of the time he plays the thing with his duct taped fingers but he also pounds on it with a drumstick.

Kind like a mixture of Les Claypool and Futureman.

A few songs into his set he plugs a guitar cord into a cowboy boot and played an entire song on that. Then he played Somewhere over the rainbow with a violin bow on a saw.

Anyways he was great on his own and when he played with Buckethead he defintely added a unique element to the music.

I had heard of Buckethead for years but never bought any material or saw him live.

What a mistake that was.

If you like instrumental guitar rock you must check him out.

I've seen alot of IMO amazing shows and this one ranks easily in the top 5 of all time.

First off is the unreal playing which is made a lot weirder by him wearing a mask. It was real unusual to be right in front of this guy ripping fiercely and not see any emotions or make eye contact. Buckethead did not speak during the show and none the song names were noted. He did pass out some gifts, did some real tripping robotic break dancing and then broke out the numbchucks. He also did a really cool bass solo with that 1 guy.

I thought there would not be much of crowd due to it being wednesday but the place was filled, in fact I found my 40 year ass in the middle of a mosh pit for the first time in a long time ( left the pit very quicky). The show had a carnival atmosphere and it was kinda like a heavy metal / rocky horror party scene.

I have a new favorite musician.

http://www.myspace.com/that1guy

Edited by tangdog
  • Like 1

I love BUCKETHEADLAND!!!!!

I hate Kentucky Fried Chicken but I LOVE Michael Myers!!! "Halloween" is the greatest horror movie ever made, and it is also my favorite "holiday."

Anyway, being from the Bay Area I had the priviledge to see Buckethead play when he was a flat out nothing. Remember his first band called "The Deli Creeps?" Excellent band. Saw them in Berkeley once at the now extinct OMNI.

I love that one record called "Monsters and Robots" because of course Les Claypool is on the album!!

I bought the new BUCKETHEAD dvd but I have not watched it. I have seen a more current bootleg show of his. It was bizarre. He played his guitar to the Disneyland Haunted Mansion narration.

He is out of sight man. Heck ya I DIG HIM!!!

Earl

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 8 2006, 02:03 PM)
I had the good fortune to see Buckethead last wednesday at the Orange Peel here in Asheville.

Opening the show was "that 1 guy". Check out the myspace link below for songs and to see his instrument. That 1 guy has invented this crazy instrument. Essentially its some steel pipes with two sections each with one string. Attached to the pipes were various drum sequencers. The whole runs through some type of computer. He came out with a bow and starting playing this thing like a cello in a classical manner. Most of the time he plays the thing with his duct taped fingers but he also pounds on it with a drumstick.

A few songs into his set he plugs a guitar cord into a cowboy and played an entire song on that. Then he played Somewhere over the rainbow with a violin bow on a saw.

Anyways he was great on his own and when he played with Buckethead he defintely added a unique element to the music.

I had heard of Buckethead for years but never bought any material or saw him live.

What a mistake that was.

I've seen alot of IMO amazing shows and this one ranks easily in the top 5 of all time.

First off is the unreal playing which is made a lot weirder by him wearing a mask. It was real unusual to be right in front of this guy ripping fiercely and not see any emotions or make eye contact. Buckethead did not speak during the show and none the song names were noted. He did pass out some gifts, did some real tripping robotic break dancing and then broke out the numbchucks. He also did a really cool bass solo with that 1 guy.

I thought there would not be much of crowd due to it being wednesday but the place was filled, in fact I found my 40 year ass in the middle of a mosh pit for the first time in a long time ( left the pit very quicky). The show had a carnival atmosphere and it was kinda like a heavy metal / rocky horror party scene.

Nice post mate...

He did like four shows in NC didn't he? he must like it there...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 8 2006, 02:22 PM)
Hey Pat and tangdog, I almost forgot. Have you ever seen a picture of Buckethead with out the mask on?

What does he really look like under that mask?

Sincerely,

Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, and Peter Criss

Yeah there is one that shows his face, it's from Guitar World's spotlight section from 1989 I think...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/harmony91/bucket-unmasked.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2006, 03:22 PM)

A few songs into his set he plugs a guitar cord into a cowboy and played an entire song on that. Then he played Somewhere over the rainbow with a violin bow on a saw.

What a mistake that was.

Nice post mate...

trink38.gif

Yeah, thats right. I guess he tours alot as this is the third time he has played in Asheville in the 2.5 years I have lived here.

http://www.bucketheadland.com/

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 8 2006, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2006, 03:22 PM)

What a mistake that was.

Nice post mate...

trink38.gif

Yeah, thats right. I guess he tours alot as this is the third time he has played in Asheville in the 2.5 years I have lived here.

http://www.bucketheadland.com/

bout time he did England...

pokey.gif

Here's some reviews of the Young Buckethead DVD...

http://www.tdrsmusic.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB...;num=1160163084

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 8 2006, 02:57 PM)
Has he ever played over there?

An acquaintance gave me a DVD of his show in Winston Salem NC last spring.

I say Buckethead should be invited to play in the next G3 tour.

I think he's been over here, maybe with Praxis in the 90s and he certainly has with Guns n Roses...

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 8 2006, 03:05 PM)
Have you heard any of the guns and roses material he played?

I think I also read he auditioned to join the red hot chile peppers after Frusciante left. Probably would of worked alot better than Navarro did.

Not properly no, he's supposed to be on that album they've been releasing for years Chinese Democracy but there's still no sign of it...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2006, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 8 2006, 02:22 PM)
Hey Pat and tangdog, I almost forgot.  Have you ever seen a picture of Buckethead with out the mask on?

What does he really look like under that mask?

Sincerely,

Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, and Peter Criss

Yeah there is one that shows his face, it's from Guitar World's spotlight section from 1989 I think...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/harmony91/bucket-unmasked.jpg

Excellent picture Pat!

I had no idea that Paul Gilbert was his teacher!!!

Buckethead Rules!

Earl

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2006, 04:08 PM)

I think I also read he auditioned to join the red hot chile peppers after Frusciante left. Probably would of worked alot better than Navarro did.

Not properly no, he's supposed to be on that album they've been releasing for years Chinese Democracy but there's still no sign of it...

I meant live stuff. Check out these youtube videos.

heres one of him ripping Nightrain a new one.

this one has him breaking out the numbchucks then laying down a insane solo

edited to say that at around 5:40 in the above video he breaks into the Star Wars theme. He played that when I saw him right after the first few verses of " The 12 days of Christmas"

Edited by tangdog

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 9 2006, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2006, 04:08 PM)

I meant live stuff. Check out these youtube videos.

heres one of him ripping Nightrain a new one.

this one has him breaking out the numbchucks then laying down a insane solo

edited to say that at around 5:40 in the above video he breaks into the Star Wars theme. He played that when I saw him right after the first few verses of " The 12 days of Christmas"

Oh yeah I've seen tons of videos...

cool.gif

I knew you were a fan Ken. I think I will buy Colma next as everyone has positive things to say about it.

I read that he plays a banjo too. Have you or Treeduck ever heard him play one and if so which disc.? I found on video on you tube where he was playing his guitar and it sounded like a banjo.

Seeing him really did amaze me and yeah, he may have unseated Steve Vai as #1 in my book.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 10 2006, 11:36 AM)
I knew you were a fan Ken. I think I will buy Colma next as everyone has positive things to say about it.

I read that he plays a banjo too. Have you or Treeduck ever heard him play one and if so which disc.? I found on video on you tube where he was playing his guitar and it sounded like a banjo.

Seeing him really did amaze me and yeah, he may have unseated Steve Vai as #1 in my book.

He plays banjo on Inbred Mountain for sure, it's particularly featured on the last tune Escape from Inbred Mountain...

Cool, thanks for the info. I wish I had picked that disc up at the show. I did not realize it was a show only disc. Living where I do, here in the mountains with all the crazy inbreds its a must have. I just finished a job down by the Chattoga River, which is where Deliverance was filmed.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 10 2006, 02:48 PM)
Cool, thanks for the info. I wish I had picked that disc up at the show. I did not realize it was a show only disc. Living where I do, here in the mountains with all the crazy inbreds its a must have. I just finished a job down by the Chattoga River, which is where Deliverance was filmed.

It's one of my faves that one actually, great tunes and melodies, stunning solos, lots of experimental stuff and astounding riffage often in the Randy Rhoads mould...

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 10 2006, 02:48 PM)
I just finished a job down by the Chattoga River, which is where Deliverance was filmed.

Did tell you you had a purdy mouth, to "take off them panties" and squeal?

laugh.gif

( laugh.gif <<<<<<<<< looks like an Inbred laugh, note the lack of teeth)

I was doing some work for a rafting company ( I'm a commercial appraiser) and they sold t-shirts that said "paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Fortunately I was not squealing like a pig when I was down there but I was definitely sweating like one.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 10 2006, 03:28 PM)
I was doing some work for a rafting company ( I'm a commercial appraiser) and they sold t-shirts that said "paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Fortunately I was not squealing like a pig when I was down there but I was definitely sweating like one.

At least they see the funny side...

Imagine what the inbred mountain men would make of Rush...

"Lookee here Ebaziakeil, looks like we got us a girly beat group..."

"Sure does sound like a girly doin tha singin Obewenkenezial..."

"That blonde one sure do got a purdy butt..."

"No Obewenkenazial, you idjit, that's her head, she's goin a lil thin up top..."

"I likes me a bald girl now and then Ebaziakeil..."

"That's whut happens when your mater and pater's only education wuz them ferkin Star Wars movies, they be callin you after em Obewenkenazial..."

"Nah it's cos my dad wuz a woodsman gynacologist...least that's whut he called it anyway..."