Geddy

My_Shrimp_Cot

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 19 2004, 10:19 AM)
Never heard of either of those 2 bass players. And I am sure you can play fast with a pick, but I am most definatly certain through my own experience that a well trained bass player can produce a faster sound using all 4 fingers on his right hand. It just seems like a 4 to 1 thing to me, you have 4 fingers, but you only have 1 hand. Its better for chords I admit, but they are still easily producable without a bass.

Just to play devil's advocate here...say you're playing on one string, and were trying to play a note as fast as you can. Can a player who's rolling all four fingers across the string play it faster than a player using a pick in a fast up and down motion? I just tried it on my bass, and although I'm no Stanley Clarke (I'm not really a bassist either, I'm a guitarist tongue.gif ), I was able to play a note on one string much faster with a pick. (When I do fiddle around on my bass, I use my fingers, not a pick.)

Now, where a finger-using bassist has a distinct advantage is when they're playing across different strings ("Different Strings"...Hmmm......). I'm thinking alternating fingers makes for smoother and quicker string hopping. Again, I'm not really a bassist, so you bass-heads can give your take on this.

I dunno, I've always found the more practice you do with fingerbassing, the faster your fingers get. A good way to practice and try to keep in time is playing a song like Red Sector A with your fingers. I think its pointless though, for people that have trained themselves with guitar, they will think picking is the way to go. For those that trained themselves with fingerpicking, thats the way to go. Besides, with a pick, you're right, you cant play different strings all that easily. Try putting a huge emphasis on the D-string, while lightly playing the G-string as an accompanyment (sp)?.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 18 2004, 09:35 PM)
If your trying to attain a particular sound, picking is ok, but I dunno. Generally I have always abhored pick using as a bass player because it so severly limits the speed in which you can play. You only have 1 pick, but you have 4 fingers on your right hand to use, the left and the right hands can work equally as fast together. 5 fingers on your right if you can get your thumb in there, but its a lot more difficult to switch between thumb and fingers unless your thumb is just on the D string. I dunno, I just always found it sorta funny seeing bass players play with a pick.

I'm a bassist and I use a pick.

It may have something to with the fact I have limited flexability with the fingers of my right hand (my left is OK) and I find it very difficult to play with my fingers. However, due to the fact there is nothing wrong with my wrist (no sniggering at the back there) I find using a pick no problem.

As with any musical technique, you have to find what is most comfortable for you otherwise, your playing will suffer.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 19 2004, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 18 2004, 09:35 PM)
If your trying to attain a particular sound, picking is ok, but I dunno.  Generally I have always abhored pick using as a bass player because it so severly limits the speed in which you can play.  You only have 1 pick, but you have 4 fingers on your right hand to use, the left and the right hands can work equally as fast together.  5 fingers on your right if you can get your thumb in there, but its a lot more difficult to switch between thumb and fingers unless your thumb is just on the D string.  I dunno, I just always found it sorta funny seeing bass players play with a pick.

I'm a bassist and I use a pick.

It may have something to with the fact I have limited flexability with the fingers of my right hand (my left is OK) and I find it very difficult to play with my fingers. However, due to the fact there is nothing wrong with my wrist (no sniggering at the back there) I find using a pick no problem.

As with any musical technique, you have to find what is most comfortable for you otherwise, your playing will suffer.

snicker snicker laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 19 2004, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 19 2004, 10:19 AM)
Never heard of either of those 2 bass players.  And I am sure you can play fast with a pick, but I am most definatly certain through my own experience that a well trained bass player can produce a faster sound using all 4 fingers on his right hand.  It just seems like a 4 to 1 thing to me, you have 4 fingers, but you only have 1 hand.  Its better for chords I admit, but they are still easily producable without a bass.

Just to play devil's advocate here...say you're playing on one string, and were trying to play a note as fast as you can. Can a player who's rolling all four fingers across the string play it faster than a player using a pick in a fast up and down motion? I just tried it on my bass, and although I'm no Stanley Clarke (I'm not really a bassist either, I'm a guitarist tongue.gif ), I was able to play a note on one string much faster with a pick. (When I do fiddle around on my bass, I use my fingers, not a pick.)

Now, where a finger-using bassist has a distinct advantage is when they're playing across different strings ("Different Strings"...Hmmm......). I'm thinking alternating fingers makes for smoother and quicker string hopping. Again, I'm not really a bassist, so you bass-heads can give your take on this.

I agree with you 10101010101. My friend whos one of the best bass players I ever saw uses a pick most of the time. He plays speed metal in a band called knee deep, you could probably find some of their songs on garageband.com. I know what moon is saying about using 4 fingers and all but just think of the guitar, and how malmstein uses alternate picking on his solos. This is how my buddy plays the bass. Theres a lot of fast stuff played on 2-3 strings that you could play way faster with 4 fingers but as far as pick tremloing on 1 string a pick can be wicked fast. A lot of stuff played with 4 fingers is impossible to play with a pick. I love watching Geddy and geezer Butler pick those notes with all their fingers, theres nothing like it.

Of course, Geddy plays using one finger most of the time. He uses his index finger very much like a pick, unless he's breaking into a multi-string-thing cool.gif

You can see this technique really well on the studio footage filmed for MFH.

Question: If Geddy only uses his index finger, then how the heck does he do those lightning fast triplets in "Marathon"? I'm not an expert, but it would seem impossible to do that with one finger to me.

confused13.gif

Well you probably wont believe this but this is god's honest truth.

Geddy used to use a pick when playing the twelve string Rickenbacker Guitar at the close of Xanadu, How do I know this? Because my wifes best friend managed to get one on the moving pictures tour and gave it to me!

Its a tortoise shell one with the rush logo on one side and geddy's name on the other!!! laugh.gif

From what I understand, bass guitar with a pick is maily used for funk.

http://www.palhetas.com/foto080.JPG

I play bass, and sometimes I play with a pick, sometimes I don't.

I think with a pick, you can play on one string faster, but it's harder to move from string to string. Like said earlier, you get a brighter sound, too.

With fingers, you've got a lot more control. You can move from string to string like easy. And then fingers are also more fun than picks! You can pop and slap with fingers. Can't have that kind of fun with picks.

I've never seen Geddy Lee use a pick, but I HAVE seen his bass guitar picks. I'd prefer using my fingers over my picks any concert.

But if my fingers bleed enough, I'll consider using the pick... biggrin.gif

Archived