Geddy

My_Shrimp_Cot

Never seen him use a pick....ever!

The solo in YYZ is almost all 'pull offs' with the left. There isn't all that much picking during the whole solo, relatively speaking.

laugh.gif ive spent a lot of my time studying any closeups ive been privileged to see via video of his hands wub.gif , and i dont think i've ever seen him use a pick...as far as on his hair, that might be a possibility. Helps to tame the frizzies and all wink.gif wub.gif GeddyFinal.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 18 2004, 01:45 AM)
Geddy plays the bass the way it was meant to be played, with his fingers.  The only thing a bass player should be picking is his nose.

yes.gif this is what I thought....except about the nose of course tongue.gif as soon as I saw the thread title, I thought "he's a bassist, he shouldn't be using a pick"

I believe Geddy used a pick on the intro to Jacob's Ladder. Did he use a pick on the acoustic guitar? I thought he was using his fingers there too.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 18 2004, 02:11 PM)
I believe Geddy used a pick on the intro to Jacob's Ladder. Did he use a pick on the acoustic guitar? I thought he was using his fingers there too.

That's correct, he uses his fingers on the guitar.

Some people say a bass is meant to be played without using a pick, but I say, why limit yourself. Theres a lot of times when some parts call for using a pick. Geezer plays the end of Iron Man with a pick, you get a little more high end sound with a pick and it worked wonderful for that part, the song wouldn't be the same without it. Don't limit yourself, if something is in your head and it sounds better playing it with a pick then by all means use one. If everyone played the same and used the same techniques then we would be missing out on a lot of different sounding music. Music is made to break the rules and try your own thing, be yourself and experment.

This post isn't directed at you, I just wanted to point that out. I just read someone say that a bass was meant to be played without a pick and I wanted to throw my two cents out there on the subject.

QUOTE (Billy Jack @ Nov 18 2004, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 18 2004, 02:11 PM)

That's correct, he uses his fingers on the guitar.

Some people say a bass is meant to be played without using a pick, but I say, why limit yourself. Theres a lot of times when some parts call for using a pick. Geezer plays the end of Iron Man with a pick, you get a little more high end sound with a pick and it worked wonderful for that part, the song wouldn't be the same without it. Don't limit yourself, if something is in your head and it sounds better playing it with a pick then by all means use one. If everyone played the same and used the same techniques then we would be missing out on a lot of different sounding music. Music is made to break the rules and try your own thing, be yourself and experment.

This post isn't directed at you, I just wanted to point that out. I just read someone say that a bass was meant to be played without a pick and I wanted to throw my two cents out there on the subject.

The best part about playing without a pick is not losing any... yes.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 18 2004, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Nov 18 2004, 02:28 PM)
I thought Ged did use a pick on the acoustic. Wasn't Alex laughing at him because he was horrible at flinging picks?

Nope justed checked......he's pickless!

Being a bass player he uses his thumb a lot when picking the guitar, and his fingers of course.

If your trying to attain a particular sound, picking is ok, but I dunno. Generally I have always abhored pick using as a bass player because it so severly limits the speed in which you can play. You only have 1 pick, but you have 4 fingers on your right hand to use, the left and the right hands can work equally as fast together. 5 fingers on your right if you can get your thumb in there, but its a lot more difficult to switch between thumb and fingers unless your thumb is just on the D string. I dunno, I just always found it sorta funny seeing bass players play with a pick.

Ged does NOT use a pick playing the Accoustic Guitar for Resist or Heart full of Soul... He kinda plays it like a bass, but strums with the back of his hand/fingers.

The only time I've ever seen him with a pick was when he played the bottom of his double neck bass/guitar at the end of Xanadu during the Exit Stage Left Video..

but I could be wrong..

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 18 2004, 01:45 AM)
Geddy plays the bass the way it was meant to be played, with his fingers. The only thing a bass player should be picking is his nose.

Unless you're Chris Squire from Yes. He uses a pick. But when you can come up with those amazing bass lines like he does, you're allowed to use a pick.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 18 2004, 04:54 PM)
The only time I've ever seen him with a pick was when he played the bottom of his double neck bass/guitar at the end of Xanadu during the Exit Stage Left Video..

but I could be wrong..

I was wondering about "Xanadu," too. I dug up my copy of Guitar magazine from 1980 that featured Alex and Geddy. When asked if he uses a pick or his fingers, he answered, "I never used a pick. I can't even play guitar very well with a pick. It's all right for rhythm, but when I write songs, I always just fingerpick. I find a pick very awkward for some reason."

Not sure is that solves the mystery or not.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 18 2004, 04:35 PM)
If your trying to attain a particular sound, picking is ok, but I dunno. Generally I have always abhored pick using as a bass player because it so severly limits the speed in which you can play. You only have 1 pick, but you have 4 fingers on your right hand to use, the left and the right hands can work equally as fast together. 5 fingers on your right if you can get your thumb in there, but its a lot more difficult to switch between thumb and fingers unless your thumb is just on the D string. I dunno, I just always found it sorta funny seeing bass players play with a pick.

Sorry but you can play just as fast with a pick as without. Pat Badger, formally of Extreme, could match many of Nuno Bettencourt's riffs and runs, and he used a pick.

I played mainly with a pick and it was a choice of sound and style for me.

Never heard of either of those 2 bass players. And I am sure you can play fast with a pick, but I am most definatly certain through my own experience that a well trained bass player can produce a faster sound using all 4 fingers on his right hand. It just seems like a 4 to 1 thing to me, you have 4 fingers, but you only have 1 hand. Its better for chords I admit, but they are still easily producable without a bass.

Archived