43 replies to this topic

#21 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Rush! @ Oct 1 2006, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 28 2006, 09:22 PM)
They go from 200-1200 pages

Carrie is on the short end , It and The expanded version of The Stand are the huge long ones...

Yes, my Mom told me that The Stand & It were the longest ones that she's read. I believe she has the "Uncut and Expanded" version of The Stand.

Yeah, when I read the unexpurgated, expanded, un-cut version of the Stand back in 1990 (I'd already read the original) it was about 1200 pages, but that was a hardback in paperback it's like 1400. A lot people have pops at King for the length of some of his books but pre-1994 King always made every one of those pages interesting, but he began lose that ability, for me anyway, after  that with novels like Rose Madder, Insomnia, Bag of Bones and The Green Mile which are filled with useless waffle that I really felt like skipping and I never felt that way before and in the end I gave up on the guy. I am gonna get the last three volumes of the Dark Tower though and I'll revisit some of my favourites in the near future...

Oh yeah as I pointed out a few posts ago, they've done an un-cut version of Salem's Lot but instead of including it in an expanded version of the novel they've just added it at the back of the original edition like an index or an appendix, which is totally crap, so don't buy that just get a paperback version...

Sponsored Post

#22 Rush!

Rush!

Avant Gardener

• Members *
  • 10226 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 1 2006, 09:51 PM)
Yeah, when I read the unexpurgated, expanded, un-cut version of the Stand back in 1990 (I'd already read the original) it was about 1200 pages, but that was a hardback in paperback it's like 1400. A lot people have pops at King for the length of some of his books but pre-1994 King always made every one of those pages interesting, but he began lose that ability, for me anyway, after  that with novels like Rose Madder, Insomnia, Bag of Bones and The Green Mile which are filled with useless waffle that I really felt like skipping and I never felt that way before and in the end I gave up on the guy. I am gonna get the last three volumes of the Dark Tower though and I'll revisit some of my favourites in the near future...

Oh yeah as I pointed out a few posts ago, they've done an un-cut version of Salem's Lot but instead of including it in an expanded version of the novel they've just added it at the back of the original edition like an index or an appendix, which is totally crap, so don't buy that just get a paperback version...

I'll definitely buy the expanded & un-cut version of The Stand when I get to it. Barnes & Noble is the nearest bookstore to me, but that place usually has everything I'm looking for. I'd actually like to look for the original books for the most part, with the original covers.  

#23 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Rush! @ Oct 1 2006, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 1 2006, 09:51 PM)
Yeah, when I read the unexpurgated, expanded, un-cut version of the Stand back in 1990 (I'd already read the original) it was about 1200 pages, but that was a hardback in paperback it's like 1400. A lot people have pops at King for the length of some of his books but pre-1994 King always made every one of those pages interesting, but he began lose that ability, for me anyway, after  that with novels like Rose Madder, Insomnia, Bag of Bones and The Green Mile which are filled with useless waffle that I really felt like skipping and I never felt that way before and in the end I gave up on the guy. I am gonna get the last three volumes of the Dark Tower though and I'll revisit some of my favourites in the near future...

I'll definitely buy the expanded & un-cut version of The Stand when I get to it. Barnes & Noble is the nearest bookstore to me, but that place usually has everything I'm looking for. I'd actually like to look for the original books for the most part, with the original covers.

That'd be expensive, even I've not read a lot of Kings stuff with the original covers. Mind you over here in the UK we have a whole different set of covers for King books. I still have a lot of hardcovers from the 80s like Misery, The Tommyknockers and so on. Here's a site with all of his covers from around the world...

http://www.stephenkingshop.com/bookcovers.htm

#24 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:07 AM

I think if one is going to read (or re-read) "The Stand," one should stick with the original release.  Forget about that "expanded" edition; the story is well-covered with less pages in the original.  The larger edition just contains a lot of unnecessary information about Trash Can Man; who needs all that?

#25 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 2 2006, 06:07 AM)
I think if one is going to read (or re-read) "The Stand," one should stick with the original release.  Forget about that "expanded" edition; the story is well-covered with less pages in the original.  The larger edition just contains a lot of unnecessary information about Trash Can Man; who needs all that?

Well, Stephen King, since he released it...

tongue.gif

#26 Rush!

Rush!

Avant Gardener

• Members *
  • 10226 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

Well, I was out at a local used bookstore the other day and found this version of Carrie in good condition:

user posted image

I'm up to page 22, but I'm tired and I will probably continue reading tomorrow. It's good so far.  

#27 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

It's always been my Father's Day tradition to peruse a Stephen King novel since I have no other use for this day.  I met him in Toronto 8 years ago and I've read 40 of his books. So yeah, he is like a father to me.

Edited by Boots, 18 June 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#28 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

View PostBoots, on 18 June 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

It's always been my Father's Day tradition to peruse a Stephen King novel since I have no other use for this day.  I met him in Toronto 8 years ago and I've read 40 of his books. So yeah, he is like a father to me.
Shouldn't you be reading a book written by a woman?

#29 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21061 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

I got through The Stand earlier this year and really liked it. I think that may be one of the most realistic takes on a post apocalyptic world I've ever seen. I didn't even mind the communal stuff because he explained it well enough and had it break down by the end of the novel. I do hate the ending though. Deus ex machina pissed me off.

I've been going through a big reading binge this summer while I recover from surgery and plan on finishing it off with It. I've heard great things about it and think it will be a good closer

#30 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

I have to admit that Steve used to be good in the 70's and 80's but started to run out of ideas in the late 80's with some really bad plot ideas (pseudonym comes to life, buried UFO resurrects dead aliens by possessing humans by telepathy). And by Needful Things he was relying on his great subplots to carry the whole story. After that his subplots went into takeover mode with Gerald's Game and Dolores Claibourne, both concerning spousal abuse, something he'd covered extensively in the past in subplot form. Then he really hit bottom with awful stuff like Rose Madder and (Cure For) Insomnia. And worst of all maybe From a Buick 8 and Lisey's Story. I've not been able to read anything new from him after reading these...

The only really good thing I've read from King over the last 20 years is Wizard and the Glass.

#31 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

Overrated genius.

Going to the Stanley Hotel this summer for a ghost tour.  Can't wait!

Not a big fan but he was great!

Kubrick and Carpenter!

#32 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

I love Stephen King in "Creepshow."

#33 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21061 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:50 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 24 June 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

I keep forgetting about Creepshow. This one traumatized 5 year old Union.

#34 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:05 AM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 24 June 2017 - 11:50 PM, said:

OMG!  I love that movie!!  Creeped me out!  LOL!

I love Creepshow 2!!  Classic horror cheese!!!

#35 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

Overrated genius.

Kubrick and Carpenter!
He spends more time bitching about Trump and talking about his dog on twitter than writing novels these days.

#36 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 June 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

OMG!  I love that movie!!  Creeped me out!  LOL!

I love Creepshow 2!!  Classic horror cheese!!!

#37 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 25 June 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

Overrated genius.

Kubrick and Carpenter!
He spends more time bitching about Trump and talking about his dog on twitter than writing novels these days.

Fatt Fukk
He's shit outta luck.

He's a "shitter."

Get it?

#38 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83475 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 June 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 25 June 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

Overrated genius.

Kubrick and Carpenter!

Fatt Fukk
He's shit outta luck.

He's a "shitter."

Get it?
Sounds like Roland D Lebay!

#39 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79246 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

"Meteor s***!"
"Jordy Verrill, you lunkhead!"
Discovering where else the green stuff is: "Oh, no, not there!

Brilliant!  :lol:

#40 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79246 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:06 AM

The books I read a lot of:
The Shining
The Dark Half
IT
Needful Things