Pink Floyd's "Hey You"

Tom Sawyer

At the end of the song, from the TV comes a movie, or show...

"Well, only got an hour of daylight left. better get started

Isnt it unsafe to travel at night?

It'll be a lot less safe to stay here. you're father's gonna pick up our trail before long

Can loca ride?

Yeah, I can ride... magaret, time to go! maigret, thank you for everything

Goodbye chenga

Goodbye miss ...

I'll be back"

Is this an exerpt of a "REAL" film or show? Does anyone know?

Is there anybody out there?

What Wikipedia says about hey you:

The song starts off with a solo acoustic guitar playing in the classical style with the bass slightly similar to the of the opening of "Pigs" joining in shortly after. Next to join in is the synthesizer, the vocals, and finally the drums. In the middle is a guitar solo which plays the main melody of the song "Another Brick in the Wall". After this is a section which includes only synth, bass, and drums. The next section starts out with synth and acoustic guitar, which is soon joined by the bass. At this point there is a bunch of indecipherable whispering from the left channel. After this, the drums and vocals join in. At about 3:23 into the song, a common Floydian technique of recycling sounds occurs when a sonar-like ping similar to the ping in "Echoes" is introduced, adding to the atmosphere of isolation and emptiness. In general, the feeling of the song is one of despair, as most songs have on The Wall.

The song is a distress call sung from the point of view of "Pink", the protagonist of the album, to people who pass him by to help him with his crumbling life. His mental wall blocks his calls, so nobody hears him. The wall can also be a symbol of isolation, in this case from the world.

In the broader sense, the album is about an artist's isolation from his audience. Under this view, "Hey You" takes on a different view, high-lighting the alienation of the audience (who are standing in the aisles, all alone, getting cold and no longer smiling), and the artist wondering if he can even reach them any longer (whether they can hear him, touch him, feel him).

Also about Hey You's Place in The wall Concept Album:

Hey You: A distress call from Pink. He is calling to people to help him from his crumbling life, but no one can hear him behind the wall.

Is There Anybody Out There?: The instrumental half to Pink's call for help.

Interesting to note that "Nobody Home" also recycles the old guitar-produced whale song effects from "Echoes" (my favorite moment on the second half of the album).

EDIT - BTW, apparently the TV conversation is from "Gunsmoke".

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Sep 22 2006, 11:33 AM)
"Well, only got an hour of daylight left. better get started
Isnt it unsafe to travel at night?
It'll be a lot less safe to stay here. you're father's gonna pick up our trail before long
Can loca ride?
Yeah, I can ride... magaret, time to go! maigret, thank you for everything
Goodbye chenga
Goodbye miss ...
I'll be back"

Is this an exerpt of a "REAL" film or show? Does anyone know?

Is there anybody out there?

This actually occurs at the very beginning of Is There Anybody Out There? I would guess it was maybe a British TV show. BTW, are you registered on Pink Floyd Online, PF1973?

I finally found out. You're right it is "Is There Anybody Out There?" not Hey you, (funny after all these years I never paid that close attention to this)

TV Excerpts

There are two excerpts from the TV programmes Gunsmoke and Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. overlayed in the background of the track.

The Gunsmoke excerpt is as follows:

Marshall Dillon: Well, we got an hour of daylight left. Better get started.

Miss Tyson: Is it unsafe to travel at night?

Marshall Dillon: It'll be a lot less safe to stay here. Your father's gonna pick up our trail before long.

Miss Tyson: Can Lorka ride?

Lorka: Yeah, I can ride.

Marshall Dillon: Lorka, time to go! Shangra, thank you for everything.

Miss Tyson: Goodbye Shangra!

Shangra: Goodbye Missy!

Miss Tyson: I'll be back - one day.

Shangra: The bones have told Shangra, Marshall, look after my Missy.

The Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. excerpt is as follows:

Sgt. Carter: Alright, I'll take care of them part of the time. But there's somebody else that needs taking care of in Washington.

Enlisted Man: Who's that?

Sgt. Carter: Rose Pilchitt.

Enlisted Man: Rose Pilchitt? Who's that?

Sgt. Carter: 36-24-36. Does that answer your question?

Enlisted Man: Who is she?

Sgt. Carter: She was Miss Armoured Division in 1961.

Enlisted Man: How'd you get to meet her?

I think the album also features a clip from The Young and the Restless, just before "Nobody Home" if memory serves. There's a line from the television that goes something like "I'll have to... find out from Mrs. Bancroft what she..." It totally sound like Y&R to me, and not just because Mrs. Bancroft was a character on that show.

And how about that movie playing on Pink's television during the movie version? The bit about the dog named "Niggah," and how "Niggah's dead, sir"? Not to be racist, but that's kinda funny.

EDIT: the board wouldn't let me use the actual "N word," and changed it to the politically correct "African-American."

QUOTE (anagramking @ Sep 24 2006, 04:39 PM)
I remember there was also one part on The Wall where, from the TV, I heard Chick Hearn calling a Laker basketball game. I can't remember which spot on the album it occurred, though.

That was one of the many TVs that were clicked on at the end of Don't Leave Me Now on Side 1.

Archived