"Un-Rush" Rush songs

furie

What Rush song do you think sounds most unlike anything else they've done. A song that sounds like it could have been written by someone else.

Obviously I think we'll have to exclude Feedback.

For me it's "Roll the Bones". It's the rap in the middle of the song. just ruined it for me, at first. after listening to it a few dozen times I learned to like it. But it's definately "out of the box" for the boys.

When i first listened to One Little Victory, i couldn't believe that it was the trio i've come to know and love. I had been listening to stuff from 2112, Moving Pictures, and Test For Echo. Hearing the VT album was like a completely new thing to me due to its heaviness.

I think they've changed and evolved so much over their career that very little would surprise me. Ged's voice is so distinctive that he can put his stamp on anything.

Drven always struck me as a great Rush song - partly because on previous songs they'd had a heavy intro but slowed down going into the verse. Driven didn't do that, which was great.

If I had to name one non-Rush like Rush song, I'd say Tai Shan.

Yea Driven was the one for me....actaully when Max Websters/Rush "Battlescar" came on the radio I thought nothing of it...I was like, wow a drummer thats actaully good these days...then the voice came on...HOLY SH!T IT'S GEDDY! GeddyFinal.gif

Tell you the truth, I dont think they could release anything right now, outside of a pure hardcore rap album or country album, that would total suprise me. They constantly are continuing thier music, not letting themselves be stuck to any specific type, that is whats so great about them.

Actually thats not true, if the next album sounds exactly like VT, that would totally suprise and disappoint me. I am very much looking forward to another kind of Rush.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 17 2004, 07:13 PM)
Tell you the truth, I dont think they could release anything right now, outside of a pure hardcore rap album or country album, that would total suprise me. They constantly are continuing thier music, not letting themselves be stuck to any specific type, that is whats so great about them.

Actually thats not true, if the next album sounds exactly like VT, that would totally suprise and disappoint me. I am very much looking forward to another kind of Rush.

True, Moon. Who of us would ever have thought they'd do a bunch of covers??? Not me. Not in a million years would I have guessed that. But man, The Seeker did ROCK in concert! 1022.gif

I have a list of un-Rush sounding Rush songs.

Anything on Fly By Night, except for By Tor and Anthem. But of course, they just got Neil and still had that Zeppelin 70's cock-swinging sound to them.

Tears, definetly

Lock And Key

Roll The Bones - GOT KILLED WITH THE RAP BIT!

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Someone said, "You Bet Your Life" sounds like Billy Joel. Are you serious? Yeah, the lyrics seem to be written sort of quickly compared to the rest of R.T.B. but with the monotone voice with it's subject matter kicks it right back into Rush territory.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 17 2004, 06:12 PM)
If I had to name one non-Rush like Rush song, I'd say Tai Shan.

Heh, for a long time "Tai Shan" had the dubious honor of being my *least* favorite Rush song ("Superconductor" has since moved into that top spot).

I still can't get a handle on "Nobody's Hero" as a Rush song. The lyrics are well written (of course) and the sentiment is honorable but, for me, it just doesn't work - it sounds more like something the band Live would have done (considering when it was released, maybe that was the point. Hmm...).

And there's just something weird about hearing Geddy sing the word "sexuality". :-)

Red Lenses has this funky feel no other song has, and I love it for that.

I think Red Lenses, although quite good sounds a little odd in parts. I can't get used to the "plink plink plonk" parts of it wacko.gif

..and I just posted this without seeing Proggy's post above mine....this is two uncanny things happened today wacko.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 18 2004, 05:29 AM)
..and I just posted this without seeing Proggy's post above mine....this is two uncanny things happened today wacko.gif

laugh.gif

I'd have to say Red Lenses suprised me, in a good way. For some reason I couldn't have imagined them doing it. Good song though.

Tai Shan only suprised me with it's terrible-ness. I'll have to agree with superconductor though... ugh.

Wait this wasn't a most hated Rush song thread.. oops.gif

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Nov 18 2004, 10:53 AM)
I'd have to say Red Lenses suprised me, in a good way. For some reason I couldn't have imagined them doing it. Good song though.

Tai Shan only suprised me with it's terrible-ness. I'll have to agree with superconductor though... ugh.

Wait this wasn't a most hated Rush song thread..  oops.gif

Sorry, King. Lots of Tai Shan fans here. biggrin.gif Can't agree.

But, welcome to the board, fer shure! 1022.gif

"How it is" off of Vapor Trails seems very "un-rush" like to me. I really like the song, but it definitely has a different sound. It reminds me of a song by 10,000 Maniacs ; Like The Weather.

Rivendell aslo is not their "usual" stuff, bit it's a great song.

To me the "un-rush" songs are really part of what make this band so awesome. The fact that they put stuff down that is different. They are different overall from other bands anyway, but when they stray from their own "sound" it just makes them that much better.

Archived