"Un-Rush" Rush songs

furie

I'd have to go with "Tai Shan," but like DM said (very well smile.gif) I love it because it's different.

http://sonny.vu/photos/favorites/things/favs-things020.jpg

I stood at the top of the mountain

And China sang to me....

Gorgeous.... IMO, of course. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 18 2004, 12:39 PM)
I'd have to go with "Tai Shan," but like DM said (very well smile.gif) I love it because it's different.

http://sonny.vu/photos/favorites/things/favs-things020.jpg
I stood at the top of the mountain
And China sang to me....

Gorgeous.... IMO, of course. smile.gif

very cool pic trink39.gif

I can't really think of any 'un-Rush-like' songs as, to me, Rush has always been synonymous with diversity. However, I can think of a few occasions when the very opening section of a song has made me think of other bands.

The first one I can think of was the first time I heard Limelight. It was on the Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance (anyone remember that) just before MP came out. I walked into the room to hear TV say '...this is called Limelight' - I'd missed the band name - and, just for a second or so, I thought it was AC/DC with that opening guitar riff. As soon as the rest of the band kicked in I recognised it as Rush but, for a moment doh.gif

Another one that springs to mind was the first time I heard One Little Victory. It really reminded me of another band I've heard. I can't think who but the whole drum intro and the following riff is so remiscent of soemone else.

Hmmm....that's a tough one, I'd have to say that Second Nature is un-like no other...It's an exclellent song though, but when I hear it, it doesn't click in to Rush sounding! But still a great tune, love the synth intro.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 18 2004, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 18 2004, 09:39 AM)
but like DM said (very well smile.gif) I love it because it's different.

Well, garsh...thanks Ma'am.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 18 2004, 12:46 PM)
I can't really think of any 'un-Rush-like' songs as, to me, Rush has always been synonymous with diversity.

Slaine nailed it, as he so often does. DM said it nicely too. Others may have, but I didn't read every post.

You must expect the unexpected from Rush. They pull things in from all over the spectrum. Always a new direction, always a new experiment.... yet there is always that underlying and unmistakable Rush sound.

These guys have never been afraid to try anything, no matter how diverse, and make it work. It is why they are my favorite band.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 21 2004, 03:26 AM)
QUOTE (petsounds75 @ Nov 21 2004, 08:24 AM)
Superconductor blows goats!

Just what I like, well thought out and constructive criticism

Holy crap, that's funny...

C'mon now, Superconductor *is* pretty lame. Granted, bad for Rush is still a thousand times better than anyone else but still...

And let's face it, with as many albums as they've released, there was bound to be a stinker somewhere. They're only human.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 21 2004, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 21 2004, 04:20 AM)
Personally, I think Superconductor is great - always have, always will

yes.gif Me too

I've always been a fan of that song. So I guess... Me Three yes.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 21 2004, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 21 2004, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 21 2004, 04:20 AM)
Personally, I think Superconductor is great - always have, always will

yes.gif Me too

I've always been a fan of that song. So I guess... Me Three yes.gif

Me four! That's a song that would benefit greatly from the way Alex's guitar sounds now -- all heavy and ballsy -- as opposed to the thin, sterile sound he had on Presto. That song would sound sweet on the next tour!

Archived