Vital Signs

barney_rebel

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Nov 20 2004, 11:52 PM)
Vital Signs is probably my favorite the most often, especially during "close." During the first week of every month, we "close" the books of the previous month and report financial position and profitability. The reporting deadline creates tension among us with interruptions, crashing computers and out of balance reconciliations. Don't get me wrong, after about day 3 it all comes together and feels f*cking fantastic. But on the way home from day 1 or 2, I will crank the car stereo up to 11 and play Vital Signs over and over on the ride home. It's therapy.
AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif
BTW just the standard deviation, please, I am an accountant after all. biggrin.gif

I used to work for one of the big 5 firms. wink.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never try to us the word 'old' with these songs. All of them go in cycles for me. I may listen to death one song... then leave it alone for a few months, only to come back to it again and dive just as deep.

Vital Signs never got old. It's timeless.... as Rush tends to be.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 21 2004, 05:54 PM)
I never try to us the word 'old' with these songs. All of them go in cycles for me. I may listen to death one song... then leave it alone for a few months, only to come back to it again and dive just as deep.

Vital Signs never got old. It's timeless.... as Rush tends to be.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 21 2004, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 21 2004, 05:54 PM)
I never try to us the word 'old' with these songs.  All of them go in cycles for me.  I may listen to death one song... then leave it alone for a few months, only to come back to it again and dive just as deep.

Vital Signs never got old.  It's timeless.... as Rush tends to be.

yes.gif

I didn't mean it got old forever, just for the time being. I'll always like Rush, except for a few songs that I could never get into.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 17 2005, 03:52 PM)
Anyone have an idea what's meant by the verse, "A tired mind become a shape-shifter"?

No. My mind is tired, and I ain't shifting shit!!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (physics23 @ Nov 17 2005, 02:52 PM)
Anyone have an idea what's meant by the verse, "A tired mind become a shape-shifter"?

Perhaps it means tired not in a temporary way, but more of a permanent weariness due to one's conditions. Then, at this point of inactivity and entrapment the mind makes things for itself to occupy, or shifts its 'form' to slip in to a new, exciting situation.

That's just my opinion of the line anyway.

"Vital Signs" was the first Rush song I ever heard and it was by way of the video on MTV. I do have "Through the Camera Eye" and I'm glad it still works.

It has been one of my favorite Rush tunes for some time. I remember seeing it on the Camera Eye tape a long time ago, but I lost it. angry.gif I wish they would release it on DVD. Anyway, as a dyed-in-the-wool bass player, I ate this song up right away because of the uniqueness of the sound.

I like Alex's parts a LOT.

The "everybody got" does bother me, but not as much as it did when I swore Geddy was saying, "everybody got mixed feelings about the function and the FARM." I was just a little . . . uh . . . wtf? Who cares about a freakin' farm? And when I thought he said, "A tyrant might become a shape-shifter." Uh. Yeah. So other than the lyrics I screwed up . . . Haha.

Far be it from me to give a dissenting opinion but, I think alot of this thread is pure BS! If there is anything reggae about VS it might be the structure, but certainly not the style or content.

The very idea that

Rush was influenced by The Police is a joke! (I love The Police by the way) Can you honestly listen to VS and hear The Police!!?? In the early "80's some idiot writer compared the two and Geddy as a joke agreed, just as Neil was asked what his most difficult drum part was, and he answered Tom Sawyer (being sarcastic [it was their only #1]). Ever since people have accepted this "police influence" as fact. I even know guys who have completely ignored everything Rush has done since MP because of this mistaken belief! (How could you hate The Police so much? The band that is.) Perhaps I'm wrong and Rush was influenced by The Police (Stewart Copeland is certanly worthy of such an honor). I just don't hear it. VS is very techno- compared with the rather punk feel of TP. Listen to Bob Marley and then to VS or TP and you'll know how tenuis the connection - though present . Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I so love to be corrected!

Archived